alternator bracket issue

-

Gus Loza

Reaction score
my 69 dart has a 360 in it with a 70 timing cover and water pump. i ordered the alternator bracket for a 69 A body. it doest seem to fit right

20230709_195525.jpg

20230709_210739.jpg

You ordered 69, which is cast iron water pump. 70 up is alum w/p and different size. "Depth" between the 2 are different. This is what happens when mixing and matching different years of brackets. 70 up has different outlets on wp and rad, as well as depth.
If you do a search on here this has to be one of the most common stumbling blocks posted.

i did do a search before but was confused when the bracket i ordered said it was for 67-76 small block. now i k ow. im gona order the 70 -up one. i have a powermaster alternator part # PWM-8-38529-116

Not trying to sound like an ***, but a lot of these reseller/distributor clowns dont know their arse from a mittful of fritters.
There are a lot of things similar from 67-76, but theres more that are different.
Dont be shy to ask here before purchasing anything.
Why did u order bracket? This scenario could domino quickly.
i did do a search before but was confused when the bracket i ordered said it was for 67-76 small block. now i k ow. im gona order the 70 -up one. i have a powermaster alternator part # PWM-8-38529-116

Not trying to sound like an ***, but a lot of these reseller/distributor clowns dont know their arse from a mittful of fritters.
There are a lot of things similar from 67-76, but theres more that are different.
Dont be shy to ask here before purchasing anything.
Why did u order bracket? This scenario could domino quickly.
Why? Shiny Chrome

Alan

I can't make sense of your picture. What looks to be in your hand is the swing/adjust arm which goes beneath the alternator with its on bolt into the alternator casting.

Also I see a loose bolt, there are some wp/tc bolts that go into water. Those need RTV. Be careful you use the right size bolts, if too long, they can crack a cylinder wall.

You ordered 69, which is cast iron water pump. 70 up is alum w/p and different size. "Depth" between the 2 are different. This is what happens when mixing and matching different years of brackets. 70 up has different outlets on wp and rad, as well as depth.
If you do a search on here this has to be one of the most common stumbling blocks posted.

69 and earlier water pump and timing chain on left, 70 and later on the right...

DSC06732 B.JPG

You need to plan a little more...

What radiator are you going to use??? that could cause more issues if you don't go with the proper one...

If you are going to use the original 69 style radiator, I would recommend going with the 69 and earlier water pump and timing chain so the lower radiator hose outlet will match...

If you are going with the 70 and later water pump and timing chain, then you need the 70 and later style radiator for the lower hose to match...

When they changed the timing chain covers and water pumps in 1970 the lower radiator outlet flipped to the other side... You need to match the timing cover and water pump for the vintage period radiator you are going to use...

Then once all thats decided. Need to find or make the appropriate brackets for that alternator. IIRC AR engineering offered something.

You need to plan a little more...

What radiator are you going to use??? that could cause more issues if you don't go with the proper one...

If you are going to use the original 69 style radiator, I would recommend going with the 69 and earlier water pump and timing chain so the lower radiator hose outlet will match...

If you are going with the 70 and later water pump and timing chain, then you need the 70 and later style radiator for the lower hose to match...

When they changed the timing chain covers and water pumps in 1970 the lower radiator outlet flipped to the other side... You need to match the timing cover and water pump for the vintage period radiator you are going to use...
i have a new champion aluminum radiator for a 1970 -up A body

oh sorry. haha. i had sold the original 273 12 years ago and sold it with all the accessories and brackets. so i went with all new stuff

-
Back