alternator conversion

-

67belevdere/225

Reaction score
has anybody done a alternator upgrade conversion with a integral regulator yet
like a gm type cheap and reliable (ish)

There are good reasons to want a newer alternator design (lighter and with better low-RPM output) but I don't think "put on a GM internal-regulator alternator) is necessarily the right answer. I never liked internal-regulator alternators. It means if the regulator fails, you have to replace (or at least crack open) the alternator, you can't just toss on a new regulator and keep driving.

So which alternator to pick? See here.

Also keep in mind it's not just a matter of making the alternator physically fit on the engine. You will need to upgrade the charging system wiring or you'll have a Car-B-Que.

You can get small Denso-type alternators that use the same external Vreg methods as in 1970's Mopars. My 1996 & 2002 minivans have those, as do Dodge trucks of the same time. Downside is Chrysler put the Vreg inside the PCM. When that circuit fails, some smart truck guys have intercepted the wires to the PCM and wired to a 1970's Vreg, and works fine. So, anyone here could do that. Of course, those alt's use multi-V belts, so would have to install a V-pulley, plus all sorts of fitments issues. Plus, insure the >100A capability can't fry your wire harness. I just read Dan's link and it states the same.

Don't think the GM "Motorola-style" alternator is superior. I have that in my 1980's M-B's (Bosch), with the same need for dash lamp "bootup current". They are confusing to neophytes. But, you can change the whole Vreg + brushes as a module which is an easy swap and fairly cheap.

thanks, my alternator repair shop is fixing me up something.He is matching my old one up as best possible
i like the idea of alternator with integral regulator myself.

thanks, my alternator repair shop is fixing me up something.He is matching my old one up as best possible
i like the idea of alternator with integral regulator myself.
I rewired my whole car w/ an EZ wiring kit, and had an alternator guy in Kansas build me a gm 130 amp alternator. have it mounted under the motor plate , where the fuel pump usually is on a big block, so far so good. like the one wire set up my self.

Last summer I installed a 75 amp CS121 GM one wire alternator on my small block Dart. It idles at 14.4 volts, no more dim lights. I did have to fab the brackets but it was no big deal.

has anybody done a alternator upgrade conversion with a integral regulator yet
like a gm type cheap and reliable (ish)

Easiest upgrade on a slant six
Use a Denso alternator from a 1988 Dodge truck.
210-0138_ANG.jpg

Approx 100 amps and dual v-belt pulleys. If you use the cast slant six alt bracket, just cut 1/4 inch off the front of the bracket, and eveything is a bolt in swap. Even the selectrical hookup, including the stock Mopar late model voltage regulator. BUt I would upgrade the wiring being fed by this (or any high output) alternator, or you risk having and electrical meltdown.

thanks that looks compact , I am using the diplomat bracket and the gm alternator . it lines right up
thanks

here is what the alternator shop did , one pos wire to batt and it excites its self automatically
the brackets i use for the alt where from the 82 diplomat i scraped

IMG_4311.jpg

IMG_4312.jpg

IMG_4313.jpg

IMG_4314.jpg

-
Back