Alternator / Eddie Head Interference

-

340sFastback

Reaction score
The back of the alternator hits the cylinder head when I try to rotate it into position. I am using the stock '69 brackets which line up with the stock water pump pulley. Anyone ever run into this and if so what was the solution? This is a AC car. Would a non AC alternator be smaller in the back?

Alternator1.jpg

Alternator2.jpg

This is a problem that Edelbrock never mentions. I run a Nippondenso unit that mounts slightly above the cover.

You can remove the plastic protector to gain clearance.

There are some mopar alternators that don't have the square back sticking out like mine does. They are referred to as "round back" alternators. Anyone know about the round backs?

This is one of the problems with edelbroke heads that no one ever mentions when bragging about how they are the better alternative to reconditioning iron heads.

Your gonna have to space all the brackets/pullys outwards I guess or buy different alt/brackets.

My alternator bolted right up,i just needed to use a couple of extra washers as spacers..for the performance gain over "old" iron heads Edelbrocks are surely worth the .10 spent on washers...:burnout:

I believe the '70 and up brackets/pulleys move the alternator slightly forward compared to the '69 and earlier set up.

I don't want to switch brackets/pulleys if a different alternator will solve the problem.

I have a roundback with eddy heads and no problems.

Do you have stock brackets for your alternator? I believe the round back will provide plenty of clearance so I am going to see if the auto parts store can get me one.

I had the exact same problem with my Eddie heads and my square alternator. I had to also use a couple of washers to get things outboard a little bit. I even polished a little bit off the back of the alternator housing to give a bit more clearance as well. It's not the ideal setup in my opinion but unless my alternator takes a crap and I can replace it with a round style, I'm going to live with it. I want to keep my original brackets as they were all show chromed when I restore the car and with the minimal clearance that I now have, I haven't had any issues with anything so It will have to do.

The square alternator is the "high amp" unit. I think it's like 70A instead of 45A. It will hit the head. But, you can try a longer belt if it's not a huge hit. (I havent had any squarebacks on LA strokers... so not hitting and thus no re-engineering..) The vast majority of cars did not have that alternator, so my impression is Edelbrock didn't know about it. Those heads are still the single best solution for the issue of fitting budget, power levels, and fitment.

I just went thru this same thing. I had to switch everything to newer brackets it was because the water pump was thicker on the later model motor im using. Even switched the crank pully everything is just right now. Dont know if this will help, thought i'd share you have helped me alot in the past.

I am having a local guy build me a round back single groove alternator. That should fit without issue.

I am having a local guy build me a round back single groove alternator. That should fit without issue.

Can we revisit this topic with any new information. My squareback alternator is hitting the head from Edelbrock. It is a 340 motor with factory a/c and I am trying to use the factory a/c alternator bracket. I understand the roundback alternator may fit but how will it work on an a/c car with upgraded compressor? Enough amps??

Roundbacks "used to" come in fairly good amperage just like the squarebacks. The problem is that the roundbacks originally suffered from lower RPM performance. I don't know if aftermarket like Powermaster or rebuilders have "cured" this.

I use a GM alt in both my eddy headed cars, no clearance issues.

I recently installed indy x heads on my 318. Alt , if mounted in stock bracket position would hit the thicker head surface. I made a new bracket which moves the alternator further out so it now uses the exterior bolt hole on the top edge of the head. On the new bracket, I made it low enough so I could use my original slotted curved piece , by drilling a mounting hole in the new bracket about 2 1/2 inches out from the original water pump mount.. Got a slightly longer v belt and it works fine, adjustable and the wiring still works without any changes.

I use a GM alt in both my eddy headed cars, no clearance issues.

I was hoping to get chrome?? Any special brackets or are they pretty much designed like the mopar alternators with the two ears that the long bolt travels through and the tapped holes for the sliding adjustment arm?

I was hoping to get chrome?? Any special brackets or are they pretty much designed like the mopar alternators with the two ears that the long bolt travels through and the tapped holes for the sliding adjustment arm?

I used the factory mopar brackets. The triangle plate has a slight bend that needed straightening.

Edelbrock heads & square back alt---no problems here.
Now I seem to recall that the aftermarket triangle mounting plate that everyone sells is bent wrong and I had to rework mine to get the desired results

Attachments

• 100_1713.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 396
-
Back