alternator problem

-

dustya_383

Reaction score
I'm completely terrified of the electrical forum, but I'm having some problems. My 67 belvedere is not running off of the alt. Anymore, it seems to be running off my battery and draining it. I will go double check both myh alts tomoro. But in the mean time what else could it be?. It was working fine couple weeks ago only thing that's changed is the carb. Last one caught on fire it was really old. None of my wires caught fire or got burned. So I don't think its that. I'm hoping its the alt so I can jus replace it but if not anything else that may cause this???

do you have a volt meter? Does your Belvedere still have the original (mechanical) voltage regulator? If yes put the meter on the battery, disconnect both wires from the regulator. Start your engine, briefly touch the wires from the regulator and see if you get more voltage. If you do its the regulator thats bad. If not take your alt to a store and have it checked out.

You can do some marvelous stuff with some pretty basic stuff

Go to a parts store or RadShack and buy a basic digital multimeter One "designed" for automotive would be good

Buy a generic "12V test lamp." These are incredibly handy.

Now, if you have a stock electric system, there are several pitfalls along the way that Ma engineered right into them. They are:

the bulkhead connector, never all that good, may now be old, corroded, deteriorated, along with wire sizes that were never "too big."

the ammeter. On many dash clusters, the wire terminals clamp the "whole thing" together, so that if the only nuts get loose, it starts to heat up, then gets more loose, and you have a snowball

A few things you can do before the parts store:

Go to Rad shack and buy a package or two of their large size clip leads. Dig into their "components" drawers, and buy some bare alligator clips. Two or three sizes are good.

First thing to determine, is, IS THE ALTERNATOR in a condition to work, so take a clip lead, and pull off the only "push on" small wire at the alternator. Use a clip lead and jumper to the large stud--which SHOULD BE HOOKED TO THE BATTERY. So don't short it.

Don't leave this clip lead on any longer than needed to take the test. Start the car and ease up the RPM's until you are simulating "medium cruise" that is, say 40-50 MPH simulated. If the ammeter works, you should see a charge.

IF NOT, the possibilities are:

Alternator has serious troubles

Alternator has bad brushes

Alternator output stud is NO LONGER hooked to the battery. (Bad wiring)

Take your new meter, and measure voltage with engine off from block to alternator stud. IF you show 12V, Fire up the engine again, and kick in the "fast idle cam"

Measure the voltage again from the alternator stud to ground. If it's low, say, 12V or less, you have an alternator problem

If high, say 16-18 or higher, you may have either a disconnect between the alternator and battery, or something in the ammeter circuit.

Double check, engine running "fast" by measuring voltsge at the battery pos post. IF it's low, continue below. If it's high, close to alternator stud measurement, the alternator can work

Next, devise a wire, say, no10, that you can "jumper" right from the battery positive to this stud.

Rerun the test. If you now show that the battery and output stud voltage are close, and running high (16V or more) with engine running fast, then you may have a disconnect in ammeter/ bulkhead circuit

OK let's say the above tests show that the alternator works, but when you hook things up normal you get----nothing.

So now find the regulator, and clip a lead from the ign terminal of the regulator to the field terminal. Only two terminals so there's "only two."

Now the car should charge more and more as you rev it up, same in first tests

If so, it's starting to look like you have a regulator problem. With this test "going" take your meter and hook to ground, hook the other here at the regulator where you have the clip lead. The voltage you read should be "close to" same as battery.

If you install a new regulator, check your charging voltage and post back. You need to make sure regulator is properly grounded to "actual ground" that is, battery neg. post

i also switched from a 1 wire to a 2 wire alt. would i have to re wire my voltage regulator to help the problem??????. i tested the alt and it was good. is that why when i pull the neg. cable off the battery the car dies.?

Ah, if you changed from a single-field to a dual-field alternator and left the original type of regulator (or a direct replacement) in place, you have only one field wire to connect to one of the alternator's two field terminals. The unit won't charge til you connect a piece of wire from the alternator's other field terminal to ground.

.........is that why when i pull the neg. cable off the battery the car dies.?...................

DO NOT EVER DO THIS

I wish I could kill this "old wives tale" about yanking off a battery cable.

It does not prove your alternator is good

It introduces a high voltage spike which can kill electronic devices

You will NEVER find this listed as a legitimate troubleshooting procedure in any school, text, or shop manual

As Dan said, ground the unused field connection.

Ah, if you changed from a single-field to a dual-field alternator and left the original type of regulator (or a direct replacement) in place, you have only one field wire to connect to one of the alternator's two field terminals. The unit won't charge til you connect a piece of wire from the alternator's other field terminal to ground.

So can I leave the original regulator on and just run a wire from the other field terminal to ground? Or does the ground have to be ran thru the volt.regulator? if that makes sense. I'm asking because I'm going off the set up that's in my duster but the people who did it did kind of a hack job.

So can I leave the original regulator on and just run a wire from the other field terminal to ground?

Yep, that's all you have to do to get the system up and running fine (assuming your voltage regulator is good). If you need a replacement voltage regulator and don't want to alter the wiring, get a Standard VR-128 or a NAPA Echlin VR-1001.

By definition the field "coil" has 2 ends. In the older alternators one end was grounded internally and the other end was brought out. In the newer alternators both ends were brought out so you'll need to ground one (usually to the alternator case) to make it work.

By definition the field "coil" has 2 ends. In the older alternators one end was grounded internally and the other end was brought out. In the newer alternators both ends were brought out so you'll need to ground one (usually to the alternator case) to make it work.
Nice explanation Jim. I like to know why as well as how to do things.

-
Back