Alternator won't fit with E-heads

-

340Dart

Obsessive Dart Disorder
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I put the Edelbrock heads on my 340. Got everything together. Went to put the alternator on and it hits the head big time. Their is no way it will fit. The head sticks out too far. It is the square back alternator. What can I do. HELP!

340Dart said:
I put the Edelbrock heads on my 340. Got everything together. Went to put the alternator on and it hits the head big time. Their is no way it will fit. The head sticks out too far. It is the square back alternator. What can I do. HELP!

Owch, that sucks after getting so far. #-o Maybe you could modifiy with a longer Alt sleave/bolts ect, and get a different/extended aftermarket pulley for the water pump and crank?
Man, that really sucks. I feel for ya

Longer belts should raise up the Alt. to clear the head.

My lower bracket isn't long enough to reach the bolt hole on the bottom of the alternator. Do they sell ones that are longer?

They cost some money, but I have a 360 in a 71 Duster with eddy heads. I run the march pulley system with one belt and no problems with the : alternator bolting right up. :book:

I have eddy heads on my 318 and the alternator bolted on with no problem........I used one of those cheapo chrome alternator bracket kits to mount it.

what alt. and brackets are you using?? i had no problem with mine... sure its on the brackets the proper way??

normal_DSC02549.JPG

Problem solved. The spacer was too short. The small one behind the alternator. Added some washers behind the spacer and it fit. A friend of mine made the spacers out of stainless. He made the small one too short. Thanks for all the replies. It took me a while but I figured it out.

-
Back