alum. roller rocker life span

-

wirenut

Reaction score
How often should these be replaced when used for drag racing?
Are there signs of wear?

I run the same set of Mopar (Crane) rockers for 8 years and never had a problem. Was running a Comp .650 lift flat tappet, but I would expect an aggressive solid roller could require rocker inspection or replacement on a yearly basis.

depends on valve spring pressure....hydraulic cam with the appropriate springs probably last forever

What camshaft do you have and rpms do you take it to? What brand of rockers?
A lot depends on setup and the quality of the brand.

solid cam 588 lift
6400 rpm
I have not removed them yet but believe they are Harland Sharp

solid cam 588 lift
6400 rpm
I have not removed them yet but believe they are Harland Sharp

solid cam...probably 140 lbs on the seat...350 over the nose...

probably last forever...

Ran a solid cam -

Lift:0.541"/0.522"
Duration (Advertized):284°/288°
Duration (@ 0.050" lift):242°/246°

For nine years with the same aluminum rockers (a decent but not premium set (Scorpion I think)). Changed the valve springs out once about year 7.5. The motor spent most of it's life with a 7400 RPM chip in the MSD 6AL, then the last season I pulled the chip out of the MSD and stuck it in the shift light, and it pulled to 8200. This was for autocross, so the motor would get 4 runs at local events (around 9 events/year) spinning between 2500 and 8200 for somewhere between 40 seconds and a minute 10 or so. That motor is apart now and I won't be reusing the rockers (or the connecting rods), but it was running fine when it was pulled. It also had around 10,000 (juvenile) street miles on it.

Dave

ive had sharps since 1988 used on solids and rollers and circle track to drag cars theyr tuff, but im sure spring pressures and leaving them sit without turning a engine over with hi pressures may have an effect on there life span

-
Back