Aluminum Block Hemi. Yikes!

-

72Dart6pack

Harder Better Faster Stronger.
Reaction score
I was at my local engine machine shop over the weekend and the shop was putting a sleeve in this Hemi block because a rod came thru the side. Notice a piece of the rod still? :)

20181006_1049331.jpg

20181006_1049381.jpg

Looks like a little crack is still there to be taken care of. And not a rod end, that's where the torque strap bolts to.....:poke:

Maybe they melted down the rest of the rod to help fill the hole. Well gives you another place to help secure the block lol

It's a custom grab handle for when you pick up the block...................

It's a custom grab handle for when you pick up the block...................

Why would anyone leave that in there ? Don`t think most people that can repair a block would !
I get lustful when I see an alum. block anything, I `d love to have a 440 alum. block , but cant pay the RAPE prices on one.
A friend of mine bought a literally ready to go together sbc block for a $1000 that was perfect !
440 on ebay--$5000 for a block that needs the machine work--really !

Last edited:
Why would anyone leave that in there ? Don`t think most people that can repair a block would !
I get lustful when I see an alum. block anything, I `d love to have a 440 alum. block , but cant pay the RAPE prices on one.
A friend of mine bought a literally ready to go together sbc block for a $1000 that was perfect !
440 on ebay--$5000 for a block that needs the machine work--really !

Very well could be that the owner has a sense of humor and thought it would be funny, maybe a good luck charm..........kicked a rod out, leave it there, it won't kick another......who knows........IT IS kinda funny

I don't know much about aluminum and less about tig welding, which leaves "nearly zero" so far as repairing a block. But I'd be concerned that a difference in alloy could be a problem? Different heat expansion rates?

The owner of the block definitely paired EXTRA to have it welded there. With the length of the rod it must be cut, no way the big end is inside...

I agree that he thinks it's funny and I can kinda see how it is. Now he can say "I out ran your *** with a rod hanging out the block" or some such...

:)

-
Back