Aluminum Bumper Brackets

-
Racingduster - How are things progressing?!?
You said you were (hopefully) going to have the Duster ones for sale in December and we are well into it. Not trying to bust your hump or anything, you just haven't posted anything for the past month and a half (since 10-28-09).

Did the idea of selling these fizzle out?

I love this idea (I've been looking for a lightweight set of bumper brackets for a while without success), however and anything I make wouldn't be nearly as pretty.
I have quite a few 1973-74 A-bodies. I'd be interested in a couple sets so long as the price was fair.
I agree with the others that a replacement for the shock absorber type mounts on the late 1973+ A-body rear bumpers would be a hit, especially if the bumper was tucked up to the body better eliminating that ugly filler piece.

I wonder what happened to racingduster?
As I read over the thread there were several references to using these aluminum brackets with fiberglass bumpers to reduce the vibration. How does this work? Why would a solid piece of aluminum bracket be any different than a solid piece of steel bracket?
Thanks
C

Why would a solid piece of aluminum bracket be any different than a solid piece of steel bracket?
Thanks
C[/quote]

Softer metal= better vibration absorbtion? I'd use some type of rubber between the 'glass bumper & bracket anyway.........

Why would a solid piece of aluminum bracket be any different than a solid piece of steel bracket?
Thanks
C

Softer metal= better vibration absorbtion? I'd use some type of rubber between the 'glass bumper & bracket anyway.........[/QUOTE]

It`s all about weight, you can probably knock off ten pounds switching to an aluminum bracket when compared to some of the factory steel brackets.

Longgone, I understand the weight issue. What I don't understand is all the references to reducing vibration.
Thanks,
C

Im trying to start my own small shop. Im starting with making aluminum race parts. So far I have started making bumper brackets. The frist ones that I am making are for 70-72 Dusters (thats the ones in the picks), then Im going to make 67-69 Dart brackets and SS Hemi Seat Brackets. I am making them on a CAD program and having them Laser cut. I dont know how much they will cost yet. Just wondering if anyone on here likes them and , or would be interested in them. I hope to have the Duster ones reay to sell by December and then the Dart stuff ready by January.

Thaks for looking,

JON

I'd be interested in a set for my 68 cuda that has fiberglass bumpers.
Let me know if you'll do a set & what the cost would be. [email protected] Thanks, Buzz

Late to the party here, but for reference, here's info on '73 and '74 A-body bumpers:

73L_Front.jpg

73V_Front.jpg

74L_Front.jpg

74L_Front_IES.jpg

74V_Front.jpg

74V_Front_IES.jpg

("Fastback" means Duster/Dart Sport)

A cheap way to get rid of weight is to take off the outer mounts. That will remove 7 pounds. I also cut about a pound out of each inner mount so thats 9 pounds less than stock. Now my front mounts only weigh 4 pounds.

A cheap way to get rid of weight is to take off the outer mounts. That will remove 7 pounds. I also cut about a pound out of each inner mount so thats 9 pounds less than stock. Now my front mounts only weigh 4 pounds.

that sounds like a good idea to remove weight, but how well does it hold the bumper now? is there any issues with flex or anything like that? especially on a bigger bumper like a 70 duster or 73-74 dart/scamp

that sounds like a good idea to remove weight, but how well does it hold the bumper now? is there any issues with flex or anything like that? especially on a bigger bumper like a 70 duster or 73-74 dart/scamp

My Dart was missing the outer mounts when I got it. Did not even know it was supposed to have them untill I was under my 72 Demon one day and said hey whats that? LOL

My 70 Darts stock bumper is doing just fine. If you grabe the end of the bumper you can flex it some so I don't do that. LOL But as far as driving around it is fine. You are right though a Scamp/Duster bumper is a little heavyer than the Darts. I think it should be just fine though. I am planing on going to a glass bumper so it should be plenty strong for that.

Its cheap and ez.

-
Back