aluminum heads

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL, well, I agree with you to a point and mostly I'll wave the flag for the iron head. Often, even with the cost of porting, they can be a better deal (cost wise) than a Edelbrock head. Cost aside, the Edelbrock with the same work would be a great head for alot of levels of performance. Then the work (Again, Cost aside) would make it an apple to apple like compare.
Also, alot has do with how you use the head. Flow numbers (Bigger) aint everything. ;)

Just wondering, had you paid for the porting work you did, what would the cost be in your neck of the woods.
(Also, please describe exactly what you did, Thanks :-D )
To get them done at the shop would have been $800 in port work alone so a total of around $1,400.Not bad for the numbers if you already have the castings,if buying from scratch and no ability to port I would go with rhs heads every time.Every bench is different but the bench these were flowed on had a otb set of edelbrocks and they only flowed 230ish and 170,with a valve job they were 240 and 175,to me thats not a very good return for the money (heads+valve job+fluff and buff=$1,700-no port work).Regardless any head can be made to flow but needless to say my flow numbers had a few guys scratching their heads when compared to otb aftermarket castings.There was nothing special in the porting dept,just full port job,I do like the later casting heads exhaust short turn since you can get a really nice contour with some work vs. the j heads,although not a huge difference.

Just run whatever the hell you wanna run and if somebody doesn't like it, piss on um.

man asking a question about cylinder heads on here is like starting world war 3...sheesh

Says another hater that has NEVER tried them..so your oppinion on them is worthless..

Edelbroke has a both setup at just about if not every track for every major event, I seen held and examined these aluminum replacement heads and let me tell ya...they all look like that, crude & jagged port windows.

If they flow, great, but they only flow 240's ootb.

I don't need run eddy heads when I have ported factory iron that blows them away in performance and cost, cause unlike you and many others..I actually know what fk I'm doing and can port my own heads which also putts into perspective that if my old sht can be ported to flow within 10-15cfm of what an ported edelbroke head can flow...then whats the point of buying eddys, fixing them,porting them and being out an extra $1000+ in the process when I can just do my own, buy a quench dome piston and be done ???

Need a closed chamber?=quench dome piston. now you don't

When eddelbrock heads flow 300cfm @.500 lift OOTB, I'll buy'em and proudly push them to others, otherwise..they are just a aluminum replacement head that costs twice what rebuilt iron costs and even still is not 100% right ootb.

Real racing heads=W series,Indy 360-1,brodix etc...

man asking a question about cylinder heads on here is like starting world war 3...sheesh

Yeah .....almost as bad as toutin the T5 transmission.

Couldn't help myself. LOL

show me the numbers from your ''barley touched'' eddys, if you were serious you would have that info and would have posted it already.

The full ported eddys I've seen numbers for flowed around 314cfm, thats a thousand or so in porting and valve change out.
Like I said earlier...when they flow that ootb, I'll be all over it..for 1400 that is.

It's true, a lot of the eddy chevy stuff looks a lot better and more options.

The 1st thing that gets some us going is the fact that a lot of recommendation made be members here are out of app/beyond necessitated for the op's build, it's more like a 'look at what I run''-''look at me!'' and helps the least.

The other is machine shop cost is different everywhere, so people start arguing over whats really cheaper.

Then theres the gap between people who do this work and know/have flow testing done and can give base info to make a better choice and those who don't do any of the sort and just copy/paste numbers and info from other sites...and as long as the info is in there favor, they'll keep posting and running with it.

It's the flow info from numerous heads of the same ilk done by the same person that gives a good middle of the road base.

The 1st thing that gets some us going is the fact that a lot of recommendation made be members here are out of app/beyond necessitated for the op's build, it's more like a 'look at what I run''-''look at me!'' and helps the least.

The other is machine shop cost is different everywhere, so people start arguing over whats really cheaper.

Then theres the gap between people who do this work and know/have flow testing done and can give base info to make a better choice and those who don't do any of the sort and just copy/paste numbers and info from other sites...and as long as the info is in there favor, they'll keep posting and running with it.

It's the flow info from numerous heads of the same ilk done by the same person that gives a good middle of the road base.

Hey Dude,

I totally know what you are saying...but hell, how many times can we have the discussion with the same people...i mean, we have new OP's asking questions, and if similar boneheads reply, all it requires from the non boneheads is just a link to another thread that has already beaten the horse for them to see whats what lol

Im not taking sides, its just everytime there's a cylinder head discussion, the same rehashing of opinion and fact happens over and over...i think most members here by now know who to listen to and who is just blowin air:-D

show me the numbers from your ''barley touched'' eddys, if you were serious you would have that info and would have posted it alread

My Edelbrocks flowed .257int/.194ex. at .500 lift out of the box with just a "mild" clean up..not the best numbers but good enough to put my 416 with a realitivly small hyd. cam ALL steel car(except the hood) weighting 3403 in the 11.0's..geez,if i had any real work done to them mid 10's would be no problem...

Yeah .....almost as bad as toutin the T5 transmission.

Couldn't help myself. LOL

hey you better watch it or im comin over to swap a T5 into your scamp! :toothy10:

I knew it was comin from you anyways, i was just waiting for it after my post lol

the nice thing about a truck motor from the 70's, besides the age factor is that there low compression works so well with expensive heads, and higher horsepower and torque really improve the reliability of those tired old motors, yup rebuilding the bottom end before spending money on heads is never a good idea

Hey Dude,

I totally know what you are saying...but hell, how many times can we have the discussion with the same people...i mean, we have new OP's asking questions, and if similar boneheads reply, all it requires from the non boneheads is just a link to another thread that has already beaten the horse for them to see whats what lol

Im not taking sides, its just everytime there's a cylinder head discussion, the same rehashing of opinion and fact happens over and over...i think most members here by now know who to listen to and who is just blowin air:-D

Well....if you look at it from that perspective, then all it takes from the OP on these threads is to click the search button. There's really no hard and fast answer to these type questions.....other than run what you want and can afford. If somebody looks down their shnoz at you for doin it, to hell with um. I've been involved with cars a long time, and I've seen people with REAL high end alloy heads get their asses handed to them right royally with some good 30 plus year old factory iron castings......quite a lot actually. ......and though Justin's (1wildandcrazyguy) delivery might not be what some pansies wanna hear, it's very accurate, as he has a lot of experience actually PORTING heads himself....not just blow hardin about it......although he does that too LMAO. His blow hardin just happens to be dead nuts on the money. I've done port work in the past myself.....but I just may be sendin Justin a slant head to do some work on. In the end, the only difference between cast iron and alloy heads is weight, cause you can port a good iron head casting to do pretty much anything that all but the best alloy heads can do. .....and SOME performance iron castings....like the W series and some of the Max Wedge stuff might even rival the best alloys for flow when ported. They just weigh more.

hey you better watch it or im comin over to swap a T5 into your scamp! :toothy10:

I knew it was comin from you anyways, i was just waiting for it after my post lol

Man....I gotta say, I wish you lived close by. We'd be worthless workin on **** til 3 in the mornin. LOL

My Edelbrocks flowed .257int/.194ex. at .500 lift out of the box with just a "mild" clean up..not the best numbers but good enough to put my 416 with a realitivly small hyd. cam ALL steel car(except the hood) weighting 3403 in the 11.0's..geez,if i had any real work done to them mid 10's would be no problem...

....but a "mild clean up" is not outta the box. No matter how mild.

This was my point,look at my flow numbers compared to yours,to say that a head is junk with no personal experience is bad advice.You state mild clean up?,what exactly is that?.Every set of edelbrocks I have seen or been inlvolved in did not flow what yours do until they had a valve job (which was necessary just to bring them up to std.) and some mild porting as in cleaning up the ports,making the shortturns consistent,thining the head bolt and pushrod buldges,not making anything larger so much as eliminating the obstructions.By the time you do this you have close to 2k with average shop prices.I have done a lot of edelbrocks,chevy,mopar and amc and none were up to par on flow until work was done.As I also stated every flow bench is different so for me to see stock heads as well as edelbrocks flowed in the same day on the same bench (same bore adapter,humidity and so on) gives me the whole picture with out alot of guess work.It all boils down to what he wants,how right he wants it to be and how much bang for the buck,and when a person states they have a budget and no ability to port heads there is only one that truly fits the bill and thats the rhs heads.

Geez,thats too bad your way out on the wrong coast my car could use a good *** kicking..lol..you people are way off on what Edelbrocks can flow, obviously you bought your heads from the WRONG people..and i see the Edelbrock haters have chimed in always good for a laugh..or the WRONG info....

So who are the wrong people?,edelbrock them selves?,I doubt jegs,summit or others pull the heads out and screw with them before they get to your door step-conspiracy maybe?.Or maybe your suggesting buying them from a reputable shop that does the required work already,that my friend throws budget right out the window and is admitting that they are not up to par otb so which is it?.Your times are good but not that great,many,many iron headed small blocks going as fast or faster so unfortunately no new ground covered there,Im done.

DO NOT BUY EDELJUNK!!!...i spent $2000 on a set of performer RPMs and had to get $600 of work to make them useable...the casting was brutal...twisted ports, not eve .050 on the ports....and edeljunk didnt help me out of exchange them whats so ever..there was so much flash, valve grind was nasty, and there was even 1 sticky valve...

i also had to get them resurfaced, out of the box, they werent "true"

i will never buy a set of edeljunks again....take a look at the link on my website.

Well, you posted nothing new and largely known. Love the links though!

This is something we (The general public) try and make known when people ask about them. "Some extra work may be required. (And more than likely so.)" LOL!

You'll spend 600-1000 getting a pair of edelbrocks up to the level of the RHS head. Especially if you are comparing to the ones Brian does. The 875/pr heads don't have the really good parts in them nor the detail of assembly, finish cc etc.

Best bang for the buck head right now is the RHS head. No offset rockers, no special parts required.

Pick your parts, pay your money.

Same ****, different day around here when it comes to cylinder heads.

i wish i would have just spent the money on a set of X heads, or even j heads, had bigger valves put in...flow better for less money

i had to have 6 ports welded....

i love how on the box, edeljunk has a large neon yellow sticker that says "percision machined, bolt on and go, no machine work required"

Well....if you look at it from that perspective, then all it takes from the OP on these threads is to click the search button. There's really no hard and fast answer to these type questions.....other than run what you want and can afford. If somebody looks down their shnoz at you for doin it, to hell with um. I've been involved with cars a long time, and I've seen people with REAL high end alloy heads get their asses handed to them right royally with some good 30 plus year old factory iron castings......quite a lot actually. ......and though Justin's (1wildandcrazyguy) delivery might not be what some pansies wanna hear, it's very accurate, as he has a lot of experience actually PORTING heads himself....not just blow hardin about it......although he does that too LMAO. His blow hardin just happens to be dead nuts on the money. I've done port work in the past myself.....but I just may be sendin Justin a slant head to do some work on. In the end, the only difference between cast iron and alloy heads is weight, cause you can port a good iron head casting to do pretty much anything that all but the best alloy heads can do. .....and SOME performance iron castings....like the W series and some of the Max Wedge stuff might even rival the best alloys for flow when ported. They just weigh more.

Bob mullen's ported w2's [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] dinosaur heads still be kicking eddy assington.

I wish I could afford a set of W2's today!

so it cost stroked340 over 1400$ + mild bowl blend to get 257cfm..
eddys flow around 240 something cfm ootb,FWIW
and it cost me $600 to rebuild my X heads + my bowl blend & $60 flow test to get [email protected] xheads flow around 215-220'ish cfm

so it's over $800+$ more dollars to go the mild eddy route.lol

and full done eddys are 2400+ dollaz LOL!!!!!!! and w'2's will still stomp them ha ha I always have fun with this...

I wish I could afford a set of W2's today!

500 each + $1400 in valve train=$2400 unless you shop around, then cheaper.

then you need a new intake and headers, or a new w2 flange and the ability to weld.

I know a guy who bought a whole econo setup with intake rockers n all ready to run for like $800, 3 or so years ago at spring fling.

couldnt agree with you more...i try to use the search function as much as i can, but your right, theres always different perspectives...Im not saying justin is blowing air, we know who does around here...im just surprised justin hasnt gotten tired of trying to explain back lol...ive always found the whole iron vs. aluminum debate funny, because other than certain heat properties and weight, theres nothing that much better about aluminum...the biggest differences when comparing heads should be in casting quality and port-a-bility...at the end of the day though, i think you said it perfectly- run what you can AFFORD and makes you HAPPY...were all different for a reason

and ****, we would be worthless workin together! lol:toothy10:

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back