Aluminum Heads

-
The iron 452 is a open chamber head. most aluminum heads are closed chamber.
quench is non existent with the 452 head.

because according to that post, if you have a flat top piston then its not worth the gain to go with the aluminum open chamber heads because of no quench. I dont want to change my pistons to dome or whatever would be needed to make it happy with the open chamber aluminum heads..

Most aluminum heads are closed chamber. Edelbrock, 440Source, Trick Flow, Indy, etc. all have closed chamber heads. Edelbrock has both closed and open chamber heads so you have to be careful about which you order but otherwise the aftermarket has all gone with closed chamber heads. The post you are reacting to was incorrect. you can't believe everything you read on the internet. You can't even believe everything posted on this forum........

Most aluminum heads are closed chamber. Edelbrock, 440Source, Trick Flow, Indy, etc. all have closed chamber heads. Edelbrock has both closed and open chamber heads so you have to be careful about which you order but otherwise the aftermarket has all gone with closed chamber heads. The post you are reacting to was incorrect. you can't believe everything you read on the internet. You can't even believe everything posted on this forum........
I thought that sounded odd. Thanks for the heads up on this! I am in the process of deciding which set to buy.

I am on kind of a smaller budget for the heads, so i cant get the trick flows..so, out of the Edelbrock E-street 84cc, the stealths, or promaxx, which would give the most improved power over the bone stock 452's? Keep in mind, i will be using the new aluminum heads out of the box with the ports they come with..no extra porting..Looking for the most power per money spent in this price range of these heads.. The engine is a .030 over 440 with the 2.061 compression height TRW 2355 pistons that are currently in it, Holley street dominator intake with a race modded thermoquad, 1 7/8 fenderwell headers, 3000 stall, and a MP 284/484 cam installed 4 degrees advanced..Keep in mind, i am willing to change the cam also for something better if it is recommended also..This is in a 1972 dart swinger. It will mostly be a fun car but i do want the most i can get out of it with a cam and head swap as i may do a little drag racing with it every now and then and dont want to be embarrassed by the little 4 bangers..

Between the Edelbrock head and the ProMaxx head, they are identical in there flow spec listing with the same valve diameters.

The ProMaxx heads are purchased by ProMaxx bare from China and machined here in (IIRC) Alabama with parts they choose to equip them with.

Since both list the same is specs, the cheaper one would win in my book.

Reliable? I have not read or heard of anything bad on ProMaxx. I just installed a small block shocker set on the wife’s car. I have not yet started the car up. I’m waiting on transmission parts.

I did take the small block head apart. I did like what I saw. Valves moved free and easy, they sit good in there seats.

Between the Edelbrock head and the ProMaxx head, they are identical in there flow spec listing with the same valve diameters.

The ProMaxx heads are purchased by ProMaxx bare from China and machined here in (IIRC) Alabama with parts they choose to equip them with.

Since both list the same is specs, the cheaper one would win in my book.

Reliable? I have not read or heard of anything bad on ProMaxx. I just installed a small block shocker set on the wife’s car. I have not yet started the car up. I’m waiting on transmission parts.

I did take the small block head apart. I did like what I saw. Valves moved free and easy, they sit good in there seats.

If I were doing it over, think I`d save up for the trickflows !

If I were doing it over, think I`d save up for the trickflows !
As of right now, if I had no performance head, yes, I agree. However, the ProMaxx heads were purchased long before the Trick Flows came out.

The TF’s are an excellent value w/excellent flow rates for the buck.

But, you can not exceed the speed of your wallet.

I would think you could get something similar to the results of this test. We took off unported 906 heads and put closed chamber ported 516 heads on a low compression 440. These 516's flowed about what an unported Promaxx, Sidewinder, Stealth or RPM head would flow. Post #36 has the flows for the 516 and post #65 has the dyno results showing the change from the 906 to the 516.

Iron head test starting on '78 440.

Do these other heads (promax, sidewinder, etc) Still give a dang good gain? I really cant afford the trick flows but can one of these others, but don't want to if I wont see much out of them..
I’m sorry but you do not understand the repeated question after I repeatedly gave you the answers and information needed to decide. Therefore, you must be ******* with me and I now remove myself from this thread.

Here’s how I see it......

No one has a crystal ball they can look into and give a definitive answer as to how much more power will be gained by swapping your 452’s for some aluminum head........ on your motor.
There is only one way that question can be answered.
Go chassis dyno the car as it is, install the new heads..... retest.
If you’re not willing to do that, then you really don’t care what the difference in power is....... in which case the decision on which head to use is easier........ the cheapest one.

The way I look at it is....... Ede heads, and the copycats(stealth, sidewinder, promaxx, speedmaster), are all interchangeable.
On a mild build like this, in truly “ootb” form...... as in ZERO porting...... I wouldn’t expect to see 10hp difference between any of them.
They’re fundamentally all the same head.
The original...... and the Chinese copies.

Just pick one and go.

Last edited:
because according to that post, if you have a flat top piston then its not worth the gain to go with the aluminum open chamber heads because of no quench. I dont want to change my pistons to dome or whatever would be needed to make it happy with the open chamber aluminum heads..
Aluminum will stomp the snot out cast heads.

As of right now, if I had no performance head, yes, I agree. However, the ProMaxx heads were purchased long before the Trick Flows came out.

The TF’s are an excellent value w/excellent flow rates for the buck.

But, you can not exceed the speed of your wallet.
Guys, i appreciate all the info and advice! This has been something ive wanted to do for a long time and just wanting to be sure i do it right(within the budget i have). As for pissing off Fish, i appologize for that, it SURE as hell was not intended! The reason i asked again was because of the comment about' If i had to do it over, i would save for the trickflows'..I almost thought it sounded like a regret for buying what was bought, so i asked again if the gains with the head purchased were still good enough to warrant buying them..i should have worded it better and im sorry. Again, i did not want to make anyone mad..Thats the reason i stay away from moparts as much as i can because there are so many on there that act like its a burden to have a conversation in a post..They make you feel like a dumbass because you ask a question or dont understand the answer so you ask more on the subject..again, im sorry.

FWIW a cleaned up pair of Stealth's is the best bang for the buck. IMO

Here’s how I see it......

No one has a crystal ball they can look into and give a definitive answer as to how much more power will be gained by swapping your 452’s for some aluminum head........ on your motor.
There is only one way that question can be answered.
Go chassis dyno the car as it is, install the new heads..... retest.
If you’re not willing to do that, then you really don’t care what the difference in power is....... in which case the decision on which head to use is easier........ the cheapest one.

The way I look at it is....... Ede heads, and the copycats(stealth, sidewinder, promaxx, speedmaster), are all interchangeable.
On a mild build like this, in truly “ootb” form...... as in ZERO porting...... I wouldn’t expect to see 10hp difference between any of them.
They’re fundamentally all the same head.
The original...... and the Chinese copies.

Just pick one and go.
This surprises me ^. I thought the eddies were substantially better than the chinese heads but I believe you know what your talking about. Shouldn't have paid $500 more for the same thing.

This surprises me ^. I thought the eddies were substantially better than the chinese heads but I believe you know what your talking about. Shouldn't have paid $500 more for the same thing.

In quality? Or in power. If they have the same ports and port size , chambers an valves, yeah, 10 or less HP difference.

$500?
E Streets are $100-300 more than the Chinese copycats.

I’d pay the difference....... but not everyone would.

Also....... it would be around 10hp difference....... on a mild street type 440 build.
People sometimes have a hard time comprehending that that doesn’t mean there can only be 10hp difference.
On a bracket race 505 with 11:1 and a good sized solid cam, big headers, big intake, etc......the type of combo where any of this style of ootb head is way too small to allow the motor to make big power.
In that situation, the E Streets having the best ootb flow are going to make very good use of whatever that flow advantage is.
I could see a best-to-worst scenario where the difference in power could be over 20hp.

On the E-streets, they are available with either 84cc chambers or 75cc chambers. Being my engine is currently 9.4:1, im not sure which chamber to use. Im assuming that going with the smaller 75cc would put the engine at 10.5:1 or very close. I know aluminum is less likely to detonate but don't know if that's pushing it still or not. It just uses 91-93 octane which is whats available around here.

$500?
E Streets are $100-300 more than the Chinese copycats.

I’d pay the difference....... but not everyone would.

Also....... it would be around 10hp difference....... on a mild street type 440 build.
People sometimes have a hard time comprehending that that doesn’t mean there can only be 10hp difference.
On a bracket race 505 with 11:1 and a good sized solid cam, big headers, big intake, etc......the type of combo where any of this style of ootb head is way too small to allow the motor to make big power.
In that situation, the E Streets having the best ootb flow are going to make very good use of whatever that flow advantage is.
I could see a best-to-worst scenario where the difference in power could be over 20hp.
I'm using the RPM's hence the $500 extra cost. 446, aftermarket crank, ESP rods, Icon pistons, xe284 cam (hope Wyrmrider is not around), RPM intake, D452 headers and only more 10hp? :BangHead:

Last edited:
No. They are saying that there is only about a 10 HP difference between all the edelbrock style heads, not only 10hp over stock iron heads..
I don't think so, a standard cnc port victor head is far above those others.

-
Back