Aluminum Intakes - What are You Running?

-

Detroit Iron

Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions on aftermarket intakes from those of you who have mild build/daily driver small blocks. I have an Edelbrock LD340 on one of my cars, but I figured technology has developed since those were made; so, what are you running and why do you like or not like it? Thanks for the input.

The LD340 is so close to the air gap, that Edelbrock used to only recommend switching from an LD340 to a Performer RPM or Air-Gap in the case of fitment issues. I've read somewhere that the LD340 was used in the development of the RPM and Air Gap intakes and the only real difference between them is the RPM has less flow spread from port to port than the LD, but the LD has a marginally higher overall average flow. If you have a serious build and want it to act like a single plane, get the divider milled out by the MP directions and add a one inch open spacer.

I'm looking for opinions on aftermarket intakes from those of you who have mild build/daily driver small blocks. I have an Edelbrock LD340 on one of my cars, but I figured technology has developed since those were made; so, what are you running and why do you like or not like it? Thanks for the input.
I use an ld340 with my 340 and I also using ld340 with my 410...7200rpm no problem.
Stick with that intake manifold and if you think you need a little bit more mid-range or up top use a 3/8 spacer. It works!

These are bang dead on ball crackin accurate.

I had a LD-340 and a RPM-AG. I haven’t out the screws to ether of them really hard but I’ll tell you that the RPM is just a hair better & not worth the coin to change to.

The best thing to do to a LD 340 for maximum performance is well known with the divider milled and the ports opened up, IF you want to run that route on that intake. I also ran a TQ on mine since it was purchased modified like that. It was a beast of a dual plane. One day I’d like to find another one in good condition already modified. A couple of fellas here have run low 11’s with a RPM. The LD-340 is right behind it.

Currently, I’m running a RPM & a modified Edelbrock 750.

The LD340 is so close to the air gap, that Edelbrock used to only recommend switching from an LD340 to a Performer RPM or Air-Gap in the case of fitment issues. I've read somewhere that the LD340 was used in the development of the RPM and Air Gap intakes and the only real difference between them is the RPM has less flow spread from port to port than the LD, but the LD has a marginally higher overall average flow. If you have a serious build and want it to act like a single plane, get the divider milled out by the MP directions and add a one inch open spacer.

I use an ld340 with my 340 and I also using ld340 with my 410...7200rpm no problem.
Stick with that intake manifold and if you think you need a little bit more mid-range or up top use a 3/8 spacer. It works!

Good question about technology improvements since the LD340. The Performer was the next iteration & it had smaller runner CSAs. Edel catching up to the Japs & Europeans...
The runner shape on the Perf changes to trapezoidal through the runner bends because later flow tests revealed this shape is the most efficient [ least amount of flow lost ] in getting air around a bend.
Whether these upgrades make much difference on a running engine could only be determined on a dyno.
If you have a LD340, the difference might be so little as to not warrant spending $$$ on a different intake.

Profesional Products knock off Air Gap, for magnum or LA
I've looked at these a few times due to the price but have also heard these manifolds fit and perform poorly. Are you happy with how it fits and runs on your engine?
I have ran a weiand action plus and the std edelbrock performer on mild motors and like the weiand better.

It dawned on me to finally go ahead and ask what we’re working on here. Weight, gearing, cubic inches, cam, compression, converter/4 speed. There is a point where a Victor 340 or other type of single plane (or maybe even a tunnel Ram) is going to be quicker, but it’s more the exception than the norm.

I've looked at these a few times due to the price but have also heard these manifolds fit and perform poorly. Are you happy with how it fits and runs on your engine?
I have ran a weiand action plus and the std edelbrock performer on mild motors and like the weiand better.
Yes, happy
I haven't had a different intake on it, so I have no basis for comparison. A noted Mopar engine builder posted here a while back that a Profesional Products manifold on the same engine was down 25 hp compared to an Edelbrock Air Gap. THAT IS something I would have to see for myself !!

Last edited:
Quality is all over the shop...

It dawned on me to finally go ahead and ask what we’re working on here. Weight, gearing, cubic inches, cam, compression, converter/4 speed. There is a point where a Victor 340 or other type of single plane (or maybe even a tunnel Ram) is going to be quicker, but it’s more the exception than the norm.
My first thought after reading the first post was that we’re going pick an intake with zero consideration to the rest of the combination and the intended use of the vehicle. That rarely ends with success.

I'm figured technology has developed since those were made; so, what are you running and why do you like or not like it? Thanks for the input.
running old 1970 tech with some port work, and a shine

20200807_155906.jpg

20200807_155945.jpg

intake2.JPG.jpg

Both of the Weiands I have had fit poorly.
But did perform very well.

I purchased a “JEGS” version of the Chink knock off. It fit on a 360, uncut deck w/Edelbrock heads just fine. The vehicle it is on has not been driven yet. (1991-W150 4X4.) The 360 is .030 over at 10.24-1, headers and a Summit cam (6901) 218/228-.441/.441-114. I expect this to be a smooth runner with reasonable power. A 4spd backs it up with 3.55’s on 28 inch tires.

JEGS 513072: Cool Gap Intake Manifold for 1967-2003 Small Block Chrysler/Mopar 318, 340 & 360, Dual Plane [Satin] - JEGS High Performance

It will probably hold my 340 stroked motor back but had a cam ground for the build.

My first thought after reading the first post was that we’re going pick an intake with zero consideration to the rest of the combination and the intended use of the vehicle. That rarely ends with success.
I agree, however, simple question, simple answer.
I don’t feel guilty but wonder like yourself.

Polished or coated?
Looks bad ***.

Both of the Weiands I have had fit poorly.
But did perform very well.

I purchased a “JEGS” version of the Chink knock off. It fit on a 360, uncut deck w/Edelbrock heads just fine. The vehicle it is on has not been driven yet. (1991-W150 4X4.) The 360 is .030 over at 10.24-1, headers and a Summit cam (6901) 218/228-.441/.441-114. I expect this to be a smooth runner with reasonable power. A 4spd backs it up with 3.55’s on 28 inch tires.

JEGS 513072: Cool Gap Intake Manifold for 1967-2003 Small Block Chrysler/Mopar 318, 340 & 360, Dual Plane [Satin] - JEGS High Performance
Looks like the Professional Products one and the one Speedmaster sells. I wouldnt be surprised that they came from the same foundry

(1991-W150 4X4.) The 360 is .030 over at 10.24-1, headers and a Summit cam (6901) 218/228-.441/.441-114. I expect this to be a smooth runner with reasonable power. A 4spd backs it up with 3.55’s on 28 inch tires.
Now that’s a slick setup. I think you’re going to be surprised how well that is going to get with the program. You may find yourself blowing the 28 inch tires off when you least expect to!

Daily driver small block? Which one? That makes a difference. Engine and combination would be really helpful.

Now that’s a slick setup. I think you’re going to be surprised how well that is going to get with the program. You may find yourself blowing the 28 inch tires off when you least expect to!

Ill report back once I get all the gas tank parts and fuel lines straightened out. It’s my sons truck. His first ride.
D4C22D92-3934-48B2-8C38-E6763D217137.jpeg
D1F873A7-5FAD-464A-9E7B-EF0DFE6EA321.jpeg

Looks like the Professional Products one and the one Speedmaster sells. I wouldnt be surprised that they came from the same foundry
I Totally agree. IMO, this fits the build and intent of the vehicle just fine. The cam is small, the gears are mid level, (3.55) driving this 4spd manual truck should be easy and a joy. Reasonable mileage for a truck should be obtained relatively easy. I picked up innovative motor sports dual O2 sensors that plugged into the Hedman collectors.

With Florida’s mild speed limits and overall driving speeds, it should rpm in the cams sweet spot. It probably won’t be interstate friendly as speeds on them are very fast. The limit says 70mph, but that’s right lane driving most of the day and as you know being a Floridian, you’ll get passed right fast.

I believe when he hits the go pedal hard, it’ll move out reasonably well. I had a similar Crane cam (218/226 or something like that w/a 454/.480-112) in a pair of 318’s. It did pretty well in the little mill. Idled smooth, decent mileage (19 Hwy. @ it’s best) ran strong for what it was.
LD4B, 600 cfm, Hooker headers into a Jegs 2-1/2 exhaust, 3.21 sure gripped equipped 8-1/4 rear.

A cold start up on a cold November day.

It’s my sons truck. His first ride.
Edelbrock heads, air gap, and a set of ceramic headers that don't require grinding the drivers side frame rail for clearance... That's a helluva' a first ride! And you're right, it's going to be a really smooth and happy combination. But do go ahead and plan on some 31X10.50s on some 15X8 wheels. You'll make it ride and drive a whole lot better and it'll be much more interstate friendly. That's what a lot of 3.55 four speed trucks came equipped with. It's going to be burnout champion like it is right now. And I mean in deep 1st through third and part of high. Or as I call it in an NP435, Deep Reduction, Low, Intermediate, and Direct...

-
Back