Aluminum Year of Manufacture plates illegal

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
There is a license plate maker in Florida who advertises that he will make YOM plates for your car which the DMV will accept. Be advised, this is untrue. I should have read the pertinent parts of the California Motor Vehicle Code before I bought these. The Code provides, first, that only the state can manufacture license plates. Second, the Code says the plate must be made of steel. When you try to call this guy to complain that you can't use the plates, his wife answers the phone and he never calls back. My dumb for not reading the vehicle code first.

Well you need to make this very public. Post the business etc name phone number whatever else. Stuff like this is how our little friend "Justin" down there was scamming everybody on parts.

Kalifornia don't like YOM plates anyway. I've got the plates off MY '65 Valiant that was T-boned and junked 16 years ago. I've got a letter from the DMV saying the plates were returned to me for re-issue. I went to DMV with all plates in hand, to have my '66 Valiant re-registered with the '65 plates, the yelling even went all the way to Sacramento, and NO WAY. I was on the phone for hours, and the guy was making stuff up as we talked. The local DMV approved it with a verification from Sacramento, then Sacramento mailed me all the junk back and said no way.

Russ.

post the number, i bet he will get more calls than they want...

There was one guy that made "display only" plates for all states. You could not buy them from CA. They would only ship CA plates to a non CA state. They were cheaper that paying someone to restore your original plates.

Technically you couldn't use those plates by the letter of the law. But they were just replacing a bent old orginal plate or a missing front plate that the numbers and color were the same.

But now CA is selling black and yellow plates and forced that guy not to even make them.

The CA plates are not as accurate as that repro guy. And the yearly fees are much more $$$ than the one time fee to by a repro plate just to replace a missing front plate.

That stinks for the hobbiest.

Bill Crowell, did you just give this plate maker a fictitious plate number and expect CA DMV to accept it???

there was one guy that made "display only" plates for all states. You could not buy them from ca. They would only ship ca plates to a non ca state. They were cheaper that paying someone to restore your original plates.

Technically you couldn't use those plates by the letter of the law. But they were just replacing a bent old orginal plate or a missing front plate that the numbers and color were the same.

But now ca is selling black and yellow plates and forced that guy not to even make them.

The ca plates are not as accurate as that repro guy. And the yearly fees are much more $$$ than the one time fee to by a repro plate just to replace a missing front plate.

That stinks for the hobbiest.

Bill crowell, did you just give this plate maker a fictitious plate number and expect ca dmv to accept it???

+1

I dont see how it would work in any state at all if the numbers are just being made up. Heck for all you know someone else could have registered that plate number already with the real plate.

Autoxcuda wrote: "Bill Crowell, did you just give this plate maker a fictitious plate number and expect CA DMV to accept it???"

No, it was the original 1922 license plate number for my Dodge Bros. touring car. I still had one of the original steel plates to show the DMV, but that was not good enough for them.

Autoxcuda wrote: "Bill Crowell, did you just give this plate maker a fictitious plate number and expect CA DMV to accept it???"

No, it was the original 1922 license plate number for my Dodge Bros. touring car. I still had one of the original steel plates to show the DMV, but that was not good enough for them.

Did you show or tell DMV about your reproduction plates?

Maybe my morning caffeine hasn't kicked in yet, but which cop used a magnet to verify that the plates were not steel? Did you bring some old plates into DMV along with the new ones and point out that they were made of aluminum. Please explain the circumstances that brought this to their attention. How would they ever know?

Forgive me if you are one of those people who would never tear a label off a mattress or some commit some similar serious infraction like the one we are talking about, but like many laws issued by Big Brother some are just not enforced by the majority of law enforcement.

There are rules regarding the issuance or transfer of YOM plates to be sure, but if you already have a registered set of old plates and just want a sharp looking fresh set to replace them; there should be no problem. Simply put your registration sticker on the new aluminum plates and install them on the car. Who is ever going to know? Most cops I know respect the hobby. Only the California Highway Patrol really focus on such details in general.

If cost is an issue, I restored several sets of old black and yellow plates by straightening out the metal with a hammer and dolly, cleaned and painted the black background with a low sheen spray bomb, and had a pint of matching yellow made up at the local hardware store. They used a computer to get it close, and then we got it even closer by hand matching with a hair dryer to speed up the drying process. I tried to paint the letters and numbers myself, but it only looked good from 10 feet, so I hired a sign painter to repaint the text. Once done and cured, I sprayed them with a matt finish. They look great and it was inexpensive. I even did a few of my buddies plates. You are not allowed by law to do this by the way.

The other thing about this is that SOME states DO allow "refinished" plates. Frankly, if the appearance meets "the test" in other ways I don't see what the difference is. So far as "made up numbers" no state tracks old numbers. The thing that would get you there is in the chance that two of you would come up with the same plate no!!

Here in ID they want you to mail or fax a color photo of the plates to Boise. I got ahold of the local office, she called down there, and I ended up with a VERY helpful young lady who had me attach a photo to an email. In less than an hour I had approval for the plates!!

Autoxcuda wrote: "Did you show or tell DMV about your reproduction plates?"

Yes, I took them into DMV with me. The DMV lady pulled out a magnet and checked them, and then asked me who made them. When I told her they hadn't been made by the State of California, she pulled out the vehicle code and quoted chapter and verse to me.

Autoxcuda wrote: "Did you show or tell DMV about your reproduction plates?"

Yes, I took them into DMV with me. The DMV lady pulled out a magnet and checked them, and then asked me who made them. When I told her they hadn't been made by the State of California, she pulled out the vehicle code and quoted chapter and verse to me.

#1 thing I've been told and learned from others about CA DMV is: Do Not give them any information they do not ask for.

The one plate you have should have been sufficient. Did 1922 CA vehicles even get two plates? Did DMV specifically ask for two plates?

With a car of that age that I assume has not been registered in a long enough time to be "off the books" (not registered xx? years) you really need to talk and consult with others that have CA registered vehicle off the books of that age and plate era. Like the local Model A or T clubs.

There might be special rules for cars older that black font yellow background plates (1950's)

Often there are certain DMV offices known better knowledge on vintage cars. Or even counter persons that have special knowledge. This is where homework in your area and getting a proven game plan before going to DMV is a MUST.

Did the confiscate your reproduction "display plates" or your orginal. Didn't sound like it but have to ask.

Did they make any note on any sort of record of this attempted registration? If the vehicle is off the books and they didn't even start the process, they might not have any record of what you attempted to do. That would be great.

I wouldn't run them anyway, only way to run a state tag is if its a older one (check your local county laws) i know here in TN i can run my 71' Tennessee tag as long as i keep my true tag with valid registration sticker in the car

I'm going to mount the repro aluminum plates and put the regular plates in dealer plate holders so I can zip 'em off easily if I want to:

Attachments

• DB1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 306
I'm going to mount the repro aluminum plates and put the regular plates in dealer plate holders so I can zip 'em off easily if I want to:

Awesome car BTW !!

Does CA allow any cars of that plate era to only used that plate without that CA issued Horseless Carriage plate??

Were you trying to get a metal tag that goes on to your original 1922 plate?

scroll down to "Year of manufacture" section here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_California

I see you have the right 1922 blue and white plate:

US_CAXX_GI1.jpg

Washington State you can file for reused but they have to be year correct . My question to the DOL was ... OK 1968 was the first year for reflective plates in Washington , that run of plates ended in "85" so any plate made in that time frame would be 68 ... correct ? They said yes . Washington did not use year stamped plates at that time , they used sticker tags
which are not used on reissued plates. So we'll see what happens when I take my plate in.

Here in Indiana, we do not have the same restriction. It does have to be in excellent condition though. They won't accept fading. I would expect that instead of malicious intent, it may just not be a restriction he has run into. Considering how few people use year of manufacture plates on the whole, finding someone as zealous as the clerk you got would be the exception, not the rule.

You might ask the guy if he could run it in steel. At that thickness it'll run a mild steel fine. It still wouldn't be "made by Kalifornia" but I can't imagine they will be sending paint samples to the lab before issuing your registration. But you'd know better than me.

Just go back in and redo it with a different DMV employee and this time don't give them any extra info.

ESP47, the problem with doing that is they want me to have 2 steel YOM plates, but I only have one. Maybe somebody makes antique steel license plates but if so, I am not aware of them.

ESP47, the problem with doing that is they want me to have 2 steel YOM plates, but I only have one. Maybe somebody makes antique steel license plates but if so, I am not aware of them.

In 1922 did they issue two plates per car?

I have heard that for the 63-69 black and yellows and 70-up yellow and blues. That's why pairs of black and yellows on eBay are asking $200+ , but singles are like asking $40+

-
Back