Am I justified in my frustration?

-
Kim, what is the difference between that differential and the brake calipers that you sold? Those were nice pair of calibers…..brackets were there, lines were on them, very complete. Did you take them apart to see if the cups were pitted? Would you take those calibers to a swap meet and sell them? What the difference?
The guy didn’t care as he got them for his price that he could live with. He made an offer, I took it. He didn’t pay my price. Kim

You’re selling 30 over 340 block for $700 with rusty bores. I’ve bought std bore motors with less rust on one side of bore not all over. And it did not fully clean up with 30 overbore.... A seller could: hot tanked it, magnafluxed it, sonic tested, even rough bored that to make sure it rebuildable. Of course most people don’t. And if they do, they ask more money.

So who knows if it’s rebuildable?

[FOR340 block
As u can see it didn’t sell and that’s why. Kim

So....I bought the calipers from Kim. They were not disassembled, and I bought them as rebuildable cores. The cores turned out to be nice inside, and I have since built them. If on the other hand, they turned out to be pitted and total crap inside after I disassembled them, I would have been Ok with that as well. What would have pissed me off, was if the seller would have took them apart, found out they were junk, slapped them back together, and passed them off as rebuildable. Now that would be deliberate misrepresentation. It's all about intent.

I bet that fn thing woulda been apart by now instead of starting this thread lmao.
An 8 3/4 for $350 is a great deal. Spidey sense shoulda been tingling, which would have lead to more questions and full disclosure. Now where was I....

daffydick.gif

The guy didn’t care as he got them for his price that he could live with. He made an offer, I took it. He didn’t pay my price. Kim

ok, but what if the buyer came back to you, said only one piston would come out, said everything is junk and demanded 2/3rd of there money back?

The point I’m trying to make is it always comes down to one persons opinion. From the very beginning I said it is a rebuildable core. I priced it more than fair and gave everybody opportunity to inspect what they were buying. In my hands that could be a completely functional differential…..I could build it for a street car, race car or a show car…..that makes it a rebuildable core. I did not mislead anybody, lie to anybody or stole from anybody. When the problem came up I tried to help him out by giving him some tips and ideas to help the situation. When that did not work and after many difficult emails I offered a 35% refund. He excepted to refund and I thought it was over…….well to me it is over. I’m going to go play with my car now and forget this even happened. Thank you all for listening and have a good weekend.
362369B5-6EF9-4A3E-87B0-DCE6371EBC64.jpeg

So you’re saying?: if a buyer offers a seller less money than advertised AND the seller accepts and transaction takes place... the buyer forfeits any recourse ?

But, if the buyer paid full advertised there is recourse?

??

Last edited:
ok, but what if the buyer came back to you, said only one piston would come out, said everything is junk and demanded 2/3rd of there money back?

The point I’m trying to make is it always comes down to one persons opinion. From the very beginning I said it is a rebuildable core. I priced it more than fair and gave everybody opportunity to inspect what they were buying. In my hands that could be a completely functional differential…..I could build it for a street car, race car or a show car…..that makes it a rebuildable core. I did not mislead anybody, lie to anybody or stole from anybody. When the problem came up I tried to help him out by giving him some tips and ideas to help the situation. When that did not work and after many difficult emails I offered a 35% refund. He excepted to refund and I thought it was over…….well to me it is over. I’m going to go play with my car now and forget this even happened. Thank you all for listening and have a good weekend. View attachment 1715747022
Nice, I'd like to play with that too!
I was at Mopars in the Park today and and there was a 3.23 489 chunk for $350 and a a B body housing for $300 without any brakes for sale that looked good to me but who knows for sure until you tear it all down. I'd say for $350 your complete rear end was priced fairly to begin with.

The point I’m trying to make is it always comes down to one persons opinion. From the very beginning I said it is a rebuildable core. I priced it more than fair and gave everybody opportunity to inspect what they were buying. In my hands that could be a completely functional differential…..I could build it for a street car, race car or a show car…..that makes it a rebuildable core. I did not mislead anybody, lie to anybody or stole from anybody. When the problem came up I tried to help him out by giving him some tips and ideas to help the situation. When that did not work and after many difficult emails I offered a 35% refund. He excepted to refund and I thought it was over…….well to me it is over. I’m going to go play with my car now and forget this even happened. Thank you all for listening and have a good weekend. View attachment 1715747022

Showoff. I gotta slant 6 wants a piece of that POS. LMAO

View attachment 1715746448 View attachment 1715746449 View attachment 1715746450 View attachment 1715746451

I bought what I was told was a GOOD “rebuildable core” 68-70 B-body 8.75 from a member here.
I was at a swap meet and was neighbors with the Chrysler Performance West member’s space ( not an official CPW Club space). I spied an 8.75 rear over there and asked what it was and was told it was a good rebuildable core out of a B-body for $350. CPW is a good club and I trust them.
Sounded great so I paid real quick but had to get back to a customer at my swap space. Throughout the course of the day when I was away they brought it over. I kind of ignored it until I went to load it in my car.
When I was loading it I noticed it was seized up. Pinion and axles don’t spin. Well, they were gone already and $350 is still a decent price if I can free it up, right?
I get it home and start working on it. I slide hammered the fvck out of the passenger axle and it’s not budging. The backing plate nuts were missing so someone’s already tried this and gave up I think.
I decided to fill the rear up with WD40. Looking at the pinion gears from the fill hole reveals very rusty gear lands. I was able to get the driver’s side axle out but the pinion won’t spin and the passenger axle is still stuck as it ever was.
This is where it gets very frustrating. I go to dump the WD40 out of the drivers side axle tube and out comes a slurry of WD40 and seeds and acorns!
I have been in touch with the seller and he says the guy he got it from had the axle out and he put one back in. Ok, how long was the axle out to get that rusty and full of mouse food? Which axle was taken off? I bet it was the one that came off easily. The passenger axle and gears were exposed to the elements for how long? All questions the member won’t answer.
I know the definition of a core but this is ridiculous. I’ve used heat, penetrating fluid, and been slide hammering this thing for days. Pinion and axle still stuck. I loosened the third member to try to create some play. I even pulled against this axle, very briefly, with a truck. I decided quickly that I didn’t want to warp the axle if I could get it free and abandoned that idea. I might go back to that idea if a couple more days of soaking in WD40 doesn’t work.

https://youtu.be/obDYhdqG0CA
https://youtube.com/shorts/phnY8A11yog?feature=share

**** that looks like octopus teeth

So you’re saying?: if a buyer offers a seller less money than advertised AND the seller accepts and transaction takes place... the buyer forfeits any recourse ?

But, if the buyer paid full advertised there is recourse?

??
No that’s not what I’m saying. When the buyer says to me: I’ll buy it for this price and u don’t have to do anything with it but box it up and send it to me that can work to both of our favours. So maybe he got a better deal and maybe he didn’t. I would work with a guy to make him happy. Kim

You'll end up bending that housing if you haven't already.

From the very beginning I said it is a rebuildable core....... In my hands that could be a completely functional differential…..I could build it for a street car, race car or a show car…..that makes it a rebuildable core. I did not mislead anybody, lie to anybody or stole from anybody. View attachment 1715747022

You’re pants are on fire.

How is this rebuildable if you have to break something to disassemble it? What exactly were you basing rebuildable on? Because the outside isn’t rusted and pitted like a back east rearend? The inside looks like it was filled with seawater! LOL

I guess rebuildable means different things to different people. Along with integrity and what it means to be upfront about something you’re trying to sell.

You’re pants are on fire.

How is this rebuildable if you have to break something to disassemble it? What exactly were you basing rebuildable on? Because the outside isn’t rusted and pitted like a back east rearend? The inside looks like it was filled with seawater! LOL

I guess rebuildable means different things to different people. Along with integrity and what it means to be upfront about something you’re trying to sell.

Did you get it apart? Don't leave us hangin. That one hard snatch you'd think wouldda done it. Dammit man.

Did you get it apart? Don't leave us hangin. That one hard snatch you'd think wouldda done it. Dammit man.

Hell no it didn’t come apart. When I saw what it was doing to the tree I called it quits. I gave it enough effort to figure out if the axle is stuck that bad the third member is just as fucked. It’s enough to make me put this in the “Learned my Lesson” pile. What do you think?

My 100 year old shade tree in my front yard is much more valuable than some rusted piece of **** 8-3/4.

Hey guys, I’ve got a good rebuildable core 8-3/4 rearend with a 489 case for sale. $350 takes it.

Backing Plates - $50
Axles - $100
Housing - $200
489 case - $350
Pinion Snubber - $50
Ring and Pinion Gear - $100

See, it’s a great deal. All these parts are good to go and amount to much more separately than the asking price. Just needs bearings and races.

I’m sure you competent mechanics can get this thing roadworthy lickity split.

@4spdragtop
@diymirage
@replicaracer43
@chryslerfat

Last edited:

Damn. I’d cut the housing end off so you’re not pulling on the housing and see what happens. It may be that the bearing is rusted to the housing or something. I can’t imagine the axle being that rusted and married to the differential like that.

‘Course ima guessing and spitballing.

What would have pissed me off, was if the seller would have took them apart, found out they were junk, slapped them back together, and passed them off as rebuildable. Now that would be deliberate misrepresentation. It's all about intent.

-
Back