AM radio to Bluetooth.. or other ideas.

-

nodemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I read some posts where the guts of the stock radio were changed out to Bluetooth set-up... Does anyone have instructions for this conversion... or some other ideas..? I'd like to keep the factory radio and have it actually function too, as much as possible.

Thanks..!

I read some posts where the guts of the stock radio were changed out to Bluetooth set-up... Does anyone have instructions for this conversion... or some other ideas..? I'd like to keep the factory radio and have it actually function too, as much as possible.

Thanks..!
You can buy Bluetooth amps.

Or something like this

JL Audio's MBT-CRX adapter

1706056291425.png

There is a am radio converter out there that takes FM and transmits it on an AM station

Like this

Fairly cheap and non destructive to the car

Screenshot_20240123-173401.png

Use a Cig lighter adapter for power and then the radio antenna plugs into it and it's antenna plugs into the AM radio

You can just leave the stock radio alone and functional. If you want a really nice system, install a DSP(Digital Signal Processor) with as many amplified channels as you want feeding some quality speakers. The DSP's can actively cross over the frequencies to tweeters mid-bass and subwoofers. You can also bridge several of the amp outputs to increase the power to the speakers.

You use your smartphone to control the system and feed your favorites via bluetooth or plug in a data cable to stream Tidal or Apple play etc to the otherwise hidden system.

I converted and AM to bluetooth using an amp module and BT module I bought off amazon. The push buttons are used to select. No radio function, just shoot music through it from my phone.

Radio1.jpg

Radio2.jpg

I had mine done by Mr Heaterbox. They use Aurora Design hardware to replace the guts of your stock unit. It looks original but has a ton of features that are modular so you can only add the components you want. AM/FM tuner, AUX input, Bluetooth for music playback and even taking calls, USB stick support for music and phone charging, HD Radio. It has 4 speaker outputs and sub pre-amp outs. Really is a nice setup. I found an AM/FM for my 72 and sent it to them. The AM/FM knob changes bands, tone knob works. Push buttons work. I installed the AUX input, call answer/end button and USB in the blank area beside the cigarette lighter
Here is a link to their website

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Thanks..!
Most Bluetooth adapters that I'm aware of are only compatible with FM radios, so my first choice if you have a functional AM radio would be to hook an FM convertor to it, like the one mentioned above. I had one that I mounted in the area formerly occupied by the ashtray in the dash. Blended right in. Then you could use that to tune in an FM Bluetooth adapter.
If you're not interested in FM at all, then there's many articles available about adding an auxiliary input to a stock AM radio- then you just use a plug-in Bluetooth adapter in your new auxiliary jack, or plug your phone directly into it for playback.
Some sites to get you started:
TECH: How to add an AUX input to your stock Radio
Adding Auxiliary Input (for an Mp3 Player) to an Old AM Truck Radio
SpridgetGuru.com-Tech Index-Adding An Aux In to A Vintage Radio

I bought an inexpensive portable Bluetooth speaker, plays loud enough and I didn't have to touch the car, so it's still stock. 80 bucks in Canada, fits in a pocket.

Screenshot_20240123_190539_Gallery.jpg

I bought an inexpensive portable Bluetooth speaker, plays loud enough and I didn't have to touch the car, so it's still stock. 80 bucks in Canada, fits in a pocket.

View attachment 1716196619
Reminds me of the boombox I used to have on my front seat back when I bought the car and it didn’t have a radio at all. Worked well but changing out the batteries got expensive

You could leave the stock deck and speaker alone and add some kick panel anf rear speakers with an amp like this.

1706065965544.png

Thanks..!

Maybe take a good look at the Bluetooth amps like already mentioned.
I have one that receives Bluetooth, usb, memory card and fm stereo.
It’s small enough to put in a glove box or console.
It cost about 30 bucks and comes with a remote.

This is the one I have.

IMG_5152.jpeg

I converted and AM to bluetooth using an amp module and BT module I bought off amazon. The push buttons are used to select. No radio function, just shoot music through it from my phone.

View attachment 1716196555

View attachment 1716196556

I attempted this with a thumbwheel radio and couldn't get it to work. The little nylon gears for the thumbwheels just weren't quite strong enough to turn the knob on the bluetooth module consistently. It's definitely a doable job for a knob radio like the one you've got.

Let me tell you what I did. It costs less than $100 and gives you amazing music. I have an app on my phone called AccuRadio ( Free Internet Radio | AccuRadio Online ). It has several hundred substations. For instance, If you like Classic Rock and Roll of the 50s, 60s and 70s, there are at least 25-30 substations for that genre. And there are dozens of Genres-each with lots of sub stations. There is any kind of music you can imagine. After you have given a rating of 5 stars to 25 songs, you get your own channel. I like Classic Rock and Roll of the 50s, 60s and 70s, and my channel has about 150 of my favorite songs.
But the cell phone doesn't have good sound. I bought a Sont Bluetooth speaker that is a bit bigger than a soup can. Once I connect the speaker to my phone, I bring up my channel on AccuRadio and cruise to my favorite music. It works out great. I could not be happier.
If you really want to listen to FM radio, there are some apps that allow you to listen to FM radio stations online on your phone. I have never done it, because I like AccuRadio so much.

Reminds me of the boombox I used to have on my front seat back when I bought the car and it didn’t have a radio at all. Worked well but changing out the batteries got expensive
In the late 70's I had a portable 8 track player that I could plug into the cigarette lighter, loved that thing

Maybe take a good look at the Bluetooth amps like already mentioned.
I have one that receives Bluetooth, usb, memory card and fm stereo.
It’s small enough to put in a glove box or console.
It cost about 30 bucks and comes with a remote.

This is the one I have.

View attachment 1716196634
This is what I did. Works great. You do need to add modern speakers though. Those little 8 amp speakers that the car came with can't handle this.

If you have electronics skills, You could build your own bluetooth to AM transmitter.

Mike, you should do a How To article for some of us DIY'rs out here.

Avoid at all costs! Wish there was a X. I regret going with RetroSound! Stick with an OEM radio and convert it. I would rather have a non-functioning stock radio and getting a bluetooth speaker. RetroSound is cheap crap. Hard to use in every way, ugly, cheap looking, cheaply made, ugghh!

Avoid at all costs! Wish there was a X. I regret going with RetroSound! Stick with an OEM radio and convert it. I would rather have a non-functioning stock radio and getting a bluetooth speaker. RetroSound is cheap crap. Hard to use in every way, ugly, cheap looking, cheaply made, ugghh!
Why would you need an X this actual reply is more valuable gives the OP a reason why to base his decision on instead of an X. I've never used this product, just seemed like it might fit the bill.

-
Back