Amp meter bypass firewall connection question

-

lee g

Reaction score
I have read through the MAD electrical write up but have one question just to make sure I am understanding it correctly. I am also upgrading my alternator to a higher amp denso alternator off of a dodge truck. I robbed the large gauge charging wire all the way up to and including the fuse box (using it for relays for HEI and H4 headlights). My question is the black charging wire that use to go from the alternator lug up to the firewall connector (which is now not connected to the alternator) can I just tape off the end of the connector and not bother with any mods on the black wire at the firewall? My red wire still has the fuseable link in it and it will need no mods, correct? The two wires off the old amp gauge connection are tied together now.

From what I understand of your post, not quite. What they have done is to CUT the black, run a new one through the bulkhead, and end up with BOTH the original black and red coming out of hte firewall, and connected to the starter relay. This then, forms one BIG wire (out of the black and red) to supply power into the interior of the car

It sounds like your charging current still routes thru the firewall, even though there is no functioning ammeter there. Better to route it to the battery within the engine bay. Why not connect the thick black wire to the big stud on your starter relay to provide that path? If you tape it off, use silicone tape, not standard electrical tape. Otherwise the gooey tape will fall off, the wire will touch ground, and you will have an electric welder under the hood.

Ok. I think I finally have it correct in my head now. Changing the routing a bit so that only one large wire will pass through the firewall keeping the charging loop within the engine compartment

Ok. I think I finally have it correct in my head now. Changing the routing a bit so that only one large wire will pass through the firewall keeping the charging loop within the engine compartment

That's correct, but don't forget that every wire must have protection from shorting either thru a fuse or a fusible link!!! This can not be over-emphasized for fire prevention.

Ok. So far all my relays for lights and hei will go through a fuse prior to relay. Still have to buy a fuse able link for my new large black charging wire

-
Back