An ACTUAL "crescent hammer"

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
I was sometime in the Navy, I think, when I first heard someone call an adjustable wrench a "Crescent hammer" as you sometimes might cheat and pound on stuff with them. Well now, LOLOL

I was sometime in the Navy, I think, when I first heard someone call an adjustable wrench a "Crescent hammer" as you sometimes might cheat and pound on stuff with them. Well now, LOLOL

Ah yes, but is it metric or standard?
They don’t say.

And I actually have one that I call left handed. The adjuster spins the opposite way. In my right hand it’s awkward as hell.

As a former Navy Machinist Mate, I always called them Crescent Hammers.

Used to have 4 of them of different sizes, 3 of them now reside in bush directly beside the shop where they will rust into nothingness. The 4th one is very large about 36” so when it pisses me off, and that’s a when not an if it will take two hands and a spin to put it with the others. LMAO

Most adjustable wrenches have a stop to prevent screwing the moving jaw all the way out. My junior just showed me a new one that has a reversable moving jaw. One side flat/conventional and other side like a plier or channel lock jaw. No stop, just wind it out and turn it around. What will they think of next?

PXL_20230905_202532189.jpg

The coal ones had to be made of non-sparking material.
Oh, interesting! Supposedly it came from a railroad guy. Non sparking I have no idea.

Worked at a power plant that had a LOT of coal dust all over the place in a conveyor belt room. The foreman said one spark in here and everybody's gone. We avoided that room

I worked for a defense contractor in my rookie days. And the company came under fire for billing $400 a piece for 24 hammers that accompanied the tool kit of avionics test equipment. The Mil Spec required the hammers to be a certain size. Even though a $20 Ace Hardware hammer was certainly close enough, and easily could do the job. But dope. The company had to make, from scratch, 24 hammers. After cut & die costs plus fair profit market? $400 a piece. (If of course we were able to make 100s of thousands? Then price per unit would have been competitive. But nope. 24. And no more!)

I think many remember the days of $1000 toilets and accusations of price gouging? When in fact it was how military requirements were met to procure systems and hardware. This came to a head late Reagan, early Bush 1 administration's. Today, they expanded "Best commercial practices." To their mil spec language that resolved many, but not all, small procurement requirements.

Just thought I would share a "Hammer" tale. (Sorry, no pictures. Military don't like pictures of even non classified components that support, then, classified system.) Today? I believe an iPhone app could do the processing of a whole 80's testing system. Lol.

-
Back