An auto car on a tow dolly?

-
If it moves under its own power, fire the ***** up and leave it idle in neutral for the ride home. Fuggit.

As much as I'd like just turn the key on it and drive it home, if its even in shape for that, it's safe to say the tags are out of date

Don't need tags if it's idling on the dolly

Don't need tags if it's idling on the dolly
there is some logic, though: 1, you don't have to pull the driveshaft; 2, if the tailights work, you'll have an extra set of lights, just turn on the pkg lights. Of course, if it had a battery that would start the car, you could just turn on the pkg lights w/out running the engine, too.
In my state, you have to buy a trip permit for dollying an untabbed vehicle.

Yeah as far as I know and have found, Oregon has no requirements for having current tags on a vehicle being towed. All that's needed are working brake/signal lights (i have a set) to stick on it, and to make sure the dolley is in opeeable condition (duh) and the towing vehicle is within hauling limits

Yeah as far as I know and have found, Oregon has no requirements for having current tags on a vehicle being towed. All that's needed are working brake/signal lights (i have a set) to stick on it, and to make sure the dolley is in opeeable condition (duh) and the towing vehicle is within hauling limits

I would just pull the drive shaft and tape a bottle to the tail of the trans. Those tow dollies are easy to tow. Just make sure your front wheels are straight and the steering wheel is locked. You can also go uhaul website and rent the dollie

I would just pull the drive shaft and tape a bottle to the tail of the trans. Those tow dollies are easy to tow. Just make sure your front wheels are straight and the steering wheel is locked. You can also go uhaul website and rent the dollie
Yeah either way I can disconnect it whichever one i go with. Gramps has a drum of axle gear lube, I can get a bottle of it in case the axle is dry. And Im first gonna see if i can borrow a dolley first. I'm hearing some accounts of uhaul equipment being crap, the last thing i need going over the pass is it breaking down. From someone I know, I can at least inspect, regrease/oil hubs, fix up, etc. if needed

Yeah either way I can disconnect it whichever one i go with. Gramps has a drum of axle gear lube, I can get a bottle of it in case the axle is dry. And Im first gonna see if i can borrow a dolley first. I'm hearing some accounts of uhaul equipment being crap, the last thing i need going over the pass is it breaking down. From someone I know, I can at least inspect, regrease/oil hubs, fix up, etc. if needed
recently, I used a uhaul dolly. I got no complaints, it worked great for me. I'd like to buy one, but they don't sell them. I've seen others for sale, but they are not built half as well as the uhaul ones.

recently, I used a uhaul dolly. I got no complaints, it worked great for me. I'd like to buy one, but they don't sell them. I've seen others for sale, but they are not built half as well as the uhaul ones.
did they have brakes on them? They add on so much less weight that it won't be an issue, I'm just curious

Not sure of what types of grade you are talking about but you said pass? Another drawback to the tow dolly is the lack of tongue weight and lack of brakes can put the tow vehicle into slide easier than if it was carrying some tongue weight and a means to slow down the 3k behind you. A downgrade, 3k pushing a lighter truck, and the tail is going to start wagging the dog. Without trailer brakes there's no way to calm sway.

Not sure of what types of grade you are talking about but you said pass? Another drawback to the tow dolly is the lack of tongue weight and lack of brakes can put the tow vehicle into slide easier than if it was carrying some tongue weight and a means to slow down the 3k behind you. A downgrade, 3k pushing a lighter truck, and the tail is going to start wagging the dog. Without trailer brakes there's no way to calm sway.
My brakes aren't bad, but would it make a difference if I had a few hundred pounds in the bed to compensate for tongue weight? Besides my bed toolbox, I'll have a couple hundred pounds of tools and equipment to make sure the car is ready to tow when I get there

Why not wait till winter?
Christ I lied to uhaul (works every time) said I was shuffling a couple cars locally and needed the trailer for the weekend. Drove from Ontario to Indiana then up to Pennsylvania and back to Ontario. 4 days and over 2500 miles.
Get it done already.
Can of foam fill for flat tires

Christ I lied to uhaul (works every time) said I was shuffling a couple cars locally and needed the trailer for the weekend. Drove from Ontario to Indiana then up to Pennsylvania and back to Ontario. 4 days and over 2500 miles.
Get it done already.
Problem with that is I gotta cross over a pass to get there, the pass in winter develops a bunch of this white stuff called snow. If it were a few inches my 4wd would handle it, but nope the pass gets anywhere between 2 and 8 feet at any time. So nope, winter is out of the question.

I know you're trying to be safe, but I'm telling, you the U haul dollies are fine. We brought my 70 dart home with one, using an 04 Xterra, pulled like a champ. It was over 350 miles.

We also brought home a 76 duster with one. I wouldn't worry about tongue weight, trailer brakes etc. Just take your time, no need to go over 60, and be done with it.

I haul home at least 6 cars a year on my tow dolly.
Do unbolt the driveshaft and hang it tight, leaving it in the trans.
Unless you want to have problems on the road assume the rear tires now on the car are junk and bring at least 3 known good tires with you.(2 for the rear and a spare, or 2 more for the front)
I've done that every time and never had to stop to change a tire.
Strap it down tight, drive a couple miles, stop and check straps.
They will loosen some.
If the front tires go soft the straps will loosen.
Take your time and you'll have a good trip.

Yeah like I said, I have OD and can drop gearing once the grade gets steep. I won't be in a hurry, so I know 50-60 is a good pace (if nothing else I'll make time on the way there).

I have a pile of tires on wheels, I just need to find out from the guy what lug is the wheel. I also have that tire slime stuff just in case.

I won't be in a huge hurry, so I can take my time. In the meantime, I got a friend on hold with a diesel. If the pickup date lines up with his schedule that I can have him as an option.

Yeah like I said, I have OD and can drop gearing once the grade gets steep. I won't be in a hurry, so I know 50-60 is a good pace (if nothing else I'll make time on the way there).
I have a pile of tires on wheels, I just need to find out from the guy what lug is the wheel. I also have that tire slime stuff just in case.

I won't be in a huge hurry, so I can take my time. In the meantime, I got a friend on hold with a diesel. If the pickup date lines up with his schedule that I can have him as an option.

Hey cool. How bout some pics of the Demon? Is it on CL?

Hey cool. How bout some pics of the Demon? Is it on CL?
Yeah its a cl car, pics will have to come later. In the meantime I already got a buyer in line for the Jeep I'm selling, so once this goes through I can turn right around and throw down on the Demon.

It's a bit rough around the edges, couple rust holes in the trunk lid, but the frame and underside look solid and for a car with an engine and automatic I'd say that's a fair price. As an added bonus, I never noticed this in the listing, he added sway bars and hotchkis suspension

Yeah its a cl car, pics will have to come later. In the meantime I already got a buyer in line for the Jeep I'm selling, so once this goes through I can turn right around and throw down on the Demon.

It's a bit rough around the edges, couple rust holes in the trunk lid, but the frame and underside look solid and for a car with an engine and automatic I'd say that's a fair price. As an added bonus, I never noticed this in the listing, he added sway bars and hotchkis suspension

Very cool.

Get it done already.

That is real bad advice to give the OP, you would be up the creek without a paddle in an accident, if the trailer is not in the state you told U-haul it would be in.

That is real bad advice to give the OP, you would be up the creek without a paddle in an accident, if the trailer is not in the state you told U-haul it would be in.

He wasnt serious, just trying to tell the op to get to it!

-
Back