An auto car on a tow dolly?

-
Thanks Jim. Yes sarcasm it was. BUT I did do the trip I stated with a Uhaul trailer. It was winter and I almost got smoked by a transport and 2 of the biggest dear ive seen in my life. I priced my trip out thru uhaul and they wanted $2000 for a trailer rental.
Thanks for clarifying Jim.
Stay tuned more bad advice on the way. Lol
That is real bad advice to give the OP, you would be up the creek without a paddle in an accident, if the trailer is not in the state you told U-haul it would be in.

He wasnt serious, just trying to tell the op to get to it!

Yeah $2000 for a trailer rental!? Hell no! Uhaul prices around $60 daily for a trailer, no way in hell I'm gonna be charged for distance. I'd just as soon have a hauler service pick it up

Yep insane price for sure. Up here its about the same price per day as you. A weekend "local" rate was $100.
I picked it up on Friday night and returned Tuesday morning. Whirlwind trip for sure
Yeah $2000 for a trailer rental!? Hell no! Uhaul prices around $60 daily for a trailer, no way in hell I'm gonna be charged for distance. I'd just as soon have a hauler service pick it up

Well believe me, I'm trying to get to it ASAP. Every time I see a Demon pop up on craigslist anywhere in the Pac-NW, it disappears no less than a week later. I'm trying not to let this one slip away, but I gotta make a sale on this Cherokee. I did have a buyer on the hook, but he's starting to sound like a scam attempt. Darn :(, welp, back up on craigslist it goes. Know anyone who wants a 92 Cherokee Sport for $1400? Good condition, 4.0L with 4WD

Another tip for the dolly hauling...
Get a set of magnetic tow lights.
Can be had from HF for under $20.
I've been using the same set for over ten years and they havent fallen off yet:thumbsup:

Another tip for the dolly hauling...
Get a set of magnetic tow lights.
Can be had from HF for under $20.
I've been using the same set for over ten years and they havent fallen off yet:thumbsup:
Yeah I have those tow lights, thats why I'm not too concerned whether or not the dolly has lights

Knote72, where in Oregon are you located? I'm in the Salem area myself and have hauled over the pass several times back and forth. So I know exactly what you are talking about with the steep grades. I know the uhaul here locally rents a nice little low deck flat car hauler for pretty cheap. I have my own car hauler but have used the one they rent before. It has straps on the front of the deck similar to the ones on a car dolly to secure it. Then you just need to secure the back of the car from scooting around. I also have family in Idaho if you want someone to look the car over before you commit to a long, long drive. P.m and get you my number.

Knote72, where in Oregon are you located? I'm in the Salem area myself and have hauled over the pass several times back and forth. So I know exactly what you are talking about with the steep grades. I know the uhaul here locally rents a nice little low deck flat car hauler for pretty cheap. I have my own car hauler but have used the one they rent before. It has straps on the front of the deck similar to the ones on a car dolly to secure it. Then you just need to secure the back of the car from scooting around. I also have family in Idaho if you want someone to look the car over before you commit to a long, long drive. P.m and get you my number.
Thanks, I may just have to take you up on that. In the meantime though, I can't really do much until I get that Jeep sold. I thought I had a buyer but turned out to be the usual craigslist scam attempt, but I have a couple legit lookers interested so who knows if I can get a hit. Know anyone who wants a solid 92 Cherokee? 227k miles, $1500 OBO

I'm located down outside the Eugene/Springfield area, halfway between Springfield and Sweet Home. When you run the pass, do you usually drop down Hwy22 through Detroit and join Hwy20 to Sisters? Where I'm located I can usually just drive up to Sweet Home and straight-shot Hwy20 from there.

No, I take I-5 to 205 to 84 through the Dalles. Well, at least when there aren't any road closures up that way like there is currently. There was recently a demon on craigslist in Beaverton. I spoke with the guy about it, didn't end up buying it as it was more of a project then I wanted. I kept his info, I don't know he ever sold it. It's alot closer to you, I can pass along his info to you, or give him a call for you and see if it's still around if you want.

No, I take I-5 to 205 to 84 through the Dalles. Well, at least when there aren't any road closures up that way like there is currently. There was recently a demon on craigslist in Beaverton. I spoke with the guy about it, didn't end up buying it as it was more of a project then I wanted. I kept his info, I don't know he ever sold it. It's alot closer to you, I can pass along his info to you, or give him a call for you and see if it's still around if you want.
Right now there are a LOT of road closures up the central spine of the state, that's where most of the fires are. Even right up to the gorge with that Eagle Creek fire. If I were able to jump on that Demon in Idaho right now, getting over there would be tricky. Probably have to duck south then back up.

What shape was that Demon in? And what was he wanting for it? The last few Demons I saw in the northwest were within the last few months. One was up in Central Washington, but was a gutted shell. Other couple were in Portland, one was also a shell and the other was modded as a drag car (flat floorpan, opened wheelwells, etc). Even those seem to pop up then disappear in no time flat. Of the Demons that are still unmodified and not rotten, I don't want another to get scooped up by a car flipper only to be hopped up and sold for $40k or the highest bidder

It was a gutted shell, with a few parts that went with it. Had some stub frame rot. I think he was initially asking 2 grand but when I spoke with him he wanted $1200. The other one you mentioned was that one that was a drag car with a big block. Has a sheetmetal floor and he has been asking $6500 for it. The last time I was through the gorge it was burning. You could actually see patches of fire burning on the walls of the gorge as you drove by. Nothing like raging fire, but small spot fires.

It was a gutted shell, with a few parts that went with it. Had some stub frame rot. I think he was initially asking 2 grand but when I spoke with him he wanted $1200. The other one you mentioned was that one that was a drag car with a big block. Has a sheetmetal floor and he has been asking $6500 for it. The last time I was through the gorge it was burning. You could actually see patches of fire burning on the walls of the gorge as you drove by. Nothing like raging fire, but small spot fires.
Yeah no from the videos I saw the gorge had many more of those "spot fires"

Yeah no I won't touch frame rot. Surface rust I can handle, but not gonna replace half the frame. Certainly not a rotten, gutted shell for $2k. The one I'm looking at has running engine and trans, hotchkis suspension, from the pics only surface rust on body and frame, and only a couple rust holes on trunk lid and quarters. All that for $1500. My jeep is now gotta be worth $1700, but I'm good selling in the ballpark of $1500. It's certainly cheaper than a lot of the other 90s jeeps on craigslist here

Good luck on getting the jeep sold, if I hear anyone looking I'll let you know for sure. Like you said, craigslist flakes and scammers. Let me know when you are ready to make the journey. If you need help or a hauler. Let me know, can probably help you out with it.

Good luck on getting the jeep sold, if I hear anyone looking I'll let you know for sure. Like you said, craigslist flakes and scammers. Let me know when you are ready to make the journey. If you need help or a hauler. Let me know, can probably help you out with it.
Thanks man, yeah as of the day before it's totally running, driving, and stopping so I updated the craigslist posting. At best it could use a different fuse box, but other than that clean interior and starts/runs/drives/stops. Only been a couple days so I'll try to be optimistic, but I just hope it'll sell so I can stake a claim on this Demon before it disappears too.

I checked out the ad for that demon. Definitely a great start for the money. I'm actually suprised it's been listed that long and not gone.

I checked out the ad for that demon. Definitely a great start for the money. I'm actually suprised it's been listed that long and not gone.
Yeah I'm almost worried about someone here on the forum seeing it and running off to buy it lol *nervous laugh*

I'm guessing Idaho demographics play a part in that, not exactly being a populist state. After all, it seems like every Demon that pops up on CL anywhere near the west coast gets scooped up (I have a nephew stationed down in Fort Huachuca Arizona and I have him show me any Demons that pop up down in the southwest)

Yeah, I have found the best deals are the ones in the middle of nowhere and usually towards Canada. I had to travel to the Canadian border multiple times to get the cars I wanted. With my sons being hardcore gearheads and having liscences I have a ready to go driving team. We have our own dolly, tilt bed car hauler w/12k winch, tow bar etc. 4 dr ford 1 ton diesel, lol with AAA. So we are up to go anywhere and get what we can. If I weren't tied up money wise building a new shop, I would go get it right away myself. Lol. Well not now knowing you want it. I wouldn't do that to someone. Especially a fellow mopar guy. We originally wanted to build a big block demon, but like you know, they are quick to sell. So we built the big block duster, of course now I see demons(the mopar kind) more than ever which still isn't alot. I have a buddy in Gladstone Oregon that owns a very nice plum crazy 340 4 spd demon with bucket seats. He also has a 71 cuda 340 4spd. Sells everything you can imagine for A-body cars.

Check out Bellingham craigslist. It lists all the way into Canada. There are two demons on there now. One is a clone full tube chassis, not much to work with. The other is /6 car, was a vinyl top car, lowered, but looks very clean overall. They are asking 6k. The clone is $1500.

Yeah, I have found the best deals are the ones in the middle of nowhere and usually towards Canada. I had to travel to the Canadian border multiple times to get the cars I wanted. With my sons being hardcore gearheads and having liscences I have a ready to go driving team. We have our own dolly, tilt bed car hauler w/12k winch, tow bar etc. 4 dr ford 1 ton diesel, lol with AAA. So we are up to go anywhere and get what we can. If I weren't tied up money wise building a new shop, I would go get it right away myself. Lol. Well not now knowing you want it. I wouldn't do that to someone. Especially a fellow mopar guy. We originally wanted to build a big block demon, but like you know, they are quick to sell. So we built the big block duster, of course now I see demons(the mopar kind) more than ever which still isn't alot. I have a buddy in Gladstone Oregon that owns a very nice plum crazy 340 4 spd demon with bucket seats. He also has a 71 cuda 340 4spd. Sells everything you can imagine for A-body cars.
I'll have to check out canadian craigslist then if this one disappears. If nothing else, I'll talk to the guy and have him keep me in the loop if he pulls the listing or relists it, make sure he knows I'm still interested in the car.

That's a good idea for sure. When I was looking for a car, had a guy tell me about the Bellingham craigslist
Which is the Washington/Canadian border range as well as parts of idaho. I find more items up there then you can imagine. Plus my mom lives up that way, she has her husband go buy up what I want then I send them the cash and they hold it for me until I can come visit. It usually costs my sons and I a few chores and home maintenence items for her. Lol. But for sure let me know if you need someone to help you out. Good luck on the jeep sale.

That's a good idea for sure. When I was looking for a car, had a guy tell me about the Bellingham craigslist
Which is the Washington/Canadian border range as well as parts of idaho. I find more items up there then you can imagine. Plus my mom lives up that way, she has her husband go buy up what I want then I send them the cash and they hold it for me until I can come visit. It usually costs my sons and I a few chores and home maintenence items for her. Lol. But for sure let me know if you need someone to help you out. Good luck on the jeep sale.
Thanks, yeah I modded my craigslist post with a few extra keywords to get it more attention (apparently searching "92 jeep" doesn't make it turn up in the search). Craigslist's search code seems to work by explicit words in the post, and certainly doesn't have a keyword or tagged words option. With where I am in my programming degree, I could easily write code that would search better than what they got going on.

And as far as hauling it back, my 91 Dakota could probably do the job with a dolly since the dolly brings the weight down close to the hauling weight limit

Last edited:
I always add the word "Keywords:" then list as many keywords as I can think of. My phone darn near auto fills them in now. I looked for your jeep post and found a dark maroon one for $1800. That must be one?

I always add the word "Keywords:" then list as many keywords as I can think of. My phone darn near auto fills them in now. I looked for your jeep post and found a dark maroon one for $1800. That must be one?
No mine is white. Search eugene craigslist for 92 jeep and it should be a white one. Please tell me afterwards any keywords I could add to the posting

Still waiting on offers for the jeep, nothing yet. It decided to throw a couple curve balls in the meantime that'll complicate selling it, the AC blower and brake lights decided to stop working. Checked the fuses, they're fine. The regular taillights come on with the headlights, so the bulbs and circuit are still good. Whatever it is, it's also tripping the Check Antilock light.

In the meantime, I'm making sure my pickup is capable of handling the dolly weight. I might've forgotten to mention my bumper has a receiver hitch, and according to guys on the trucks forum it should handle the weight. It does have the 1-7/8" ball, but I picked up a 2" ball for it.
20170909_183607[1].jpg

When I had problems similar to yours it turned out to be the alternator. It wasn't putting enough charging power to the system and it would shut down sensors, tripping different lights on even the anti lock brake light. Just a thought, but when I replaced my alternator the problems stopped.

-
Back