An update on my 1971 Duster from Donniedon

-

Donniedon

Reaction score
It's been over a two year project, but the car that I purchased in August of 2020, and had delivered by truck from Tn., to my home SoCal, will be ready before Christmas! When the car arrived by truck, and I signed the papers, and the truck left, and while my wife and I looked at the car, my wife asked, " Did you say the name of this car was a Duster or a RUSTER?". My wife walked back in the house disgusted.

I wondered if I should just call a tow truck and have it hauled away. I had ZERO experience in Car Restoration. My attraction to the car was sentimental. My dad had purchased it new, in 1971, drove it for 6 years and 120, 000 miles, & sold it to me, so I could drive it back and forth during my college and graduate schools, only to sell it back to my dad for one dollar upon his retirement.

So, I began a journey, buying parts for this 50 year old car, a 225 slant six, automatic, just like my dad's car. I bought a MESS!

I ordered chassis parts, electrical wiring, had engine and transmission overhauled, purchased all new accessories, ( radiator, starter, alternator, carburetor, all hoses, new clamps, etc.) I am handicapped, and cannot do the mechanical work myself. I made deals with various mechanics in their chosen fields, that if I bought the parts, they would install them for me. Evidently, it's too much time out of their day to search for parts for an older car.

I started shopping with companies like Summit Racing, Year One, Jegs, Classic Industries & Rock Auto. I bought more wrong parts than right ones the first 6 months. I did purchase the Pertronix Distributor, to go pointless. Got to be good friends with UPS staff in the nearby store, returning parts!

I sent my Duster to an Auto Body & Paint Shop, where it was brought down to bare metal, & chassis was sandblasted. Very solid body. No rust, no holes. Got lucky! Car was painted a "DODGER BLUE" color. I had the trim around wheel wells added, and metal "Duster" emblems placed on front fenders. Chrysler Gold Star on right side added for good looks on right fender. Turn signal indicator lights installed on top of hood. A Black stripe was added down the middle of both sides, and I decided to add a Rear Spoiler. A new grille was ordered and installed after painting. Not shark-tooth, but original grille like on my dad's car. Chrysler 15 inch rims and Cooper tires from Summit Racing added for appearance, with 15 X 7 inch Chrome Rallye Trim Rings to boot!

Last person to work on the car is a mechanic I found who restores classic cars in Sylmar, Ca, near where I live. Name is Alex. He had a waiting list. I waited 5 months until he could take my car. I asked him to install a new axle I had purchased, with 3.23 Sure Grip Differential, leaf springs, new shackles front and rear, u-joints, gas tank, with filler neck and grommet seal. Axle came all together, complete, with disc brakes, and shipped from Michigan.. I also purchased two other items.

1. Power Steering-to convert from manual, or my wife won't be able to turn the wheel & drive the car..

2. Also purchased A/C that mechanic is installing, with compressor, pulleys, fan belts, hoses that go through firewall, and a very nice A/ C Vent Unit that mounts under dash.

I purchased a 4 row radiator with shroud, to keep engine temp cooler.

INTERIOR:

Interior is being changed from Navy blue to BLACK. EVERYTHING, down to the rear armrests, will be NEW, & BLACK. I purchased New Front & Rear Windows , with new rubber moldings, and metal trim for front and rear glass. I even purchased those metal gizmos that open and close the side rear pop out windows! The Instrument Panel was sent out to a company in Van Nuys, Ca., to completely restore the look. I had deep scratches on the speedometer plastic screen, that I could have never seen how fast I was travelling. I purchased all new gauges, and cable for speedometer.

A new Window Wiper Motor was purchased with electrical water pump for new water washer container also purchased & installed. I had to have heater box refurbished, buy vent cables, buy new vents on dash, and vent hoses under dash.

Now I await my Duster in less than 10 days!! I have not seen the car, since I delivered it in February to Alex, earlier this year. He promises me that this car will look great. Beyond what I believed!!

I will take several photos inside and out of My Duster and post just ASAP! Just think, every time I start that car, I get to think of my dad, who has long since passed, but sorely missed. If that isn't a piece of heaven, then I don't know what is!

Donniedon

It's been over a two year project, but the car that I purchased in August of 2020, and had delivered by truck from Tn., to my home SoCal, will be ready before Christmas! When the car arrived by truck, and I signed the papers, and the truck left, and while my wife and I looked at the car, my wife asked, " Did you say the name of this car was a Duster or a RUSTER?". My wife walked back in the house disgusted.

I wondered if I should just call a tow truck and have it hauled away. I had ZERO experience in Car Restoration. My attraction to the car was sentimental. My dad had purchased it new, in 1971, drove it for 6 years and 120, 000 miles, & sold it to me, so I could drive it back and forth during my college and graduate schools, only to sell it back to my dad for one dollar upon his retirement.

So, I began a journey, buying parts for this 50 year old car, a 225 slant six, automatic, just like my dad's car. I bought a MESS!

I ordered chassis parts, electrical wiring, had engine and transmission overhauled, purchased all new accessories, ( radiator, starter, alternator, carburetor, all hoses, new clamps, etc.) I am handicapped, and cannot do the mechanical work myself. I made deals with various mechanics in their chosen fields, that if I bought the parts, they would install them for me. Evidently, it's too much time out of their day to search for parts for an older car.

I started shopping with companies like Summit Racing, Year One, Jegs, Classic Industries & Rock Auto. I bought more wrong parts than right ones the first 6 months. I did purchase the Pertronix Distributor, to go pointless. Got to be good friends with UPS staff in the nearby store, returning parts!

I sent my Duster to an Auto Body & Paint Shop, where it was brought down to bare metal, & chassis was sandblasted. Very solid body. No rust, no holes. Got lucky! Car was painted a "DODGER BLUE" color. I had the trim around wheel wells added, and metal "Duster" emblems placed on front fenders. Chrysler Gold Star on right side added for good looks on right fender. Turn signal indicator lights installed on top of hood. A Black stripe was added down the middle of both sides, and I decided to add a Rear Spoiler. A new grille was ordered and installed after painting. Not shark-tooth, but original grille like on my dad's car. Chrysler 15 inch rims and Cooper tires from Summit Racing added for appearance, with 15 X 7 inch Chrome Rallye Trim Rings to boot!

Last person to work on the car is a mechanic I found who restores classic cars in Sylmar, Ca, near where I live. Name is Alex. He had a waiting list. I waited 5 months until he could take my car. I asked him to install a new axle I had purchased, with 3.23 Sure Grip Differential, leaf springs, new shackles front and rear, u-joints, gas tank, with filler neck and grommet seal. Axle came all together, complete, with disc brakes, and shipped from Michigan.. I also purchased two other items.

1. Power Steering-to convert from manual, or my wife won't be able to turn the wheel & drive the car..

2. Also purchased A/C that mechanic is installing, with compressor, pulleys, fan belts, hoses that go through firewall, and a very nice A/ C Vent Unit that mounts under dash.

I purchased a 4 row radiator with shroud, to keep engine temp cooler.

INTERIOR:

Interior is being changed from Navy blue to BLACK. EVERYTHING, down to the rear armrests, will be NEW, & BLACK. I purchased New Front & Rear Windows , with new rubber moldings, and metal trim for front and rear glass. I even purchased those metal gizmos that open and close the side rear pop out windows! The Instrument Panel was sent out to a company in Van Nuys, Ca., to completely restore the look. I had deep scratches on the speedometer plastic screen, that I could have never seen how fast I was travelling. I purchased all new gauges, and cable for speedometer.

A new Window Wiper Motor was purchased with electrical water pump for new water washer container also purchased & installed. I had to have heater box refurbished, buy vent cables, buy new vents on dash, and vent hoses under dash.

Now I await my Duster in less than 10 days!! I have not seen the car, since I delivered it in February to Alex, earlier this year. He promises me that this car will look great. Beyond what I believed!!

I will take several photos inside and out of My Duster and post just ASAP! Just think, every time I start that car, I get to think of my dad, who has long since passed, but sorely missed. If that isn't a piece of heaven, then I don't know what is!

Donniedon
Dang. Read through every bit of that so I would better understand all the great detailed pictures at the end.
Congratulations on making your dream come true.

I can't wait to see pictures also. We have a saying on FABO: "Without pictures it didn't happen."
LOL Seriously though, we would like to see some pics. When you say the "Car was painted a "DODGER BLUE" color", does that mean you had it painted that color, or that was the color that is WAS painted before the paint was stripped off?
BTW, I don't think I have ever seen a post from you. Welcome to the site.

I can't wait to see pictures also. We have a saying on FABO: "Without pictures it didn't happen."
LOL Seriously though, we would like to see some pics. When you say the "Car was painted a "DODGER BLUE" color", does that mean you had it painted that color, or that was the color that is WAS painted before the paint was stripped off?
BTW, I don't think I have ever seen a post from you. Welcome to the site.
Exterior was a Navy Blue. I call it Dodger Blue, as my Duster so closely resembles it. I had originally asked for B5 Blue, but there was an error at the Paint Shop, and I'm more than happy with the current color.

Looking forward to seeing your end results. I know you're probably in heaven with it being finished up. I hope you've kept a 'build book' to document all the work. Happy for you :)

Looking forward to seeing your end results. I know you're probably in heaven with it being finished up. I hope you've kept a 'build book' to document all the work. Happy for you :)
Thanks. My wife promises to help me load up the pictures. Not so easy for me to send Iphone pictures to this forum. Is there some secret? I have shots when I received the car, at the chassis shop, and engine being taken out, and rebuilt being replaced. Also, as paint is just starting to be applied to car. Will post those shots.

Will send as soon as my wife helps me figure out how to transfer Iphone pictures to this forum. Never sent pictures here. Any help would be appreciated!

upload_2022-6-10_14-57-11.jpeg

Thanks. My wife promises to help me load up the pictures. Not so easy for me to send Iphone pictures to this forum. Is there some secret? I have shots when I received the car, at the chassis shop, and engine being taken out, and rebuilt being replaced. Also, as paint is just starting to be applied to car. Will post those shots.
I am NO help nor is my wife. We know how to do pics that are in the puter we put there from a regular camera. We are whats called basically "computer illiterate!"
IF you can get your pics into a file in puter, go here to your reply and hit the "insert Image" at top of the block, the second one from the right. Go to your file and open it, and there you go. Thats my version!

-
Back