And go....

-
Sounds like it would be a good investment for hydraulic flat tappet lifters. Isn't there a treatment that can be done to the cam as well?
That I’m not sure of and I don’t know how DLC would wear on DLC coatings.

Maybe on sinday we could all come over to Dan’s place, stand around and kick the tires of his new dart while eating some boiled hot dogs Chicago style and drop the salad and green relish all over the hood of his new wheels… or not… there’s racing to watch this weekend..

i thought the line was: you shouldn't marry somebody that puts ketchup on a hot dog, you never know what other bad life choices they make

or something like that. i do know it's from sudden impact tho!

Hey... I put ketchup, mustard, sauerkraut and relish on my hot-dogs and brats.
I mean real mustard, not the yellow crap and real dill relish, not the sweet kind.
But then again I'm a complicated, stubborn, messed up individual with a mean-streak according to my wife. Except when I'm drunk, my wife claims I become a total sweetheart that likes to clean...
Weird, well I don't remember and things got a bit fuzzy after a few beers, few shots of rum, schnapps & bourbon during a Christmas party. She claims to have a video of me and that she refuses to show me or delete it... "sigh"

Who makes the best quality small block hydraulic lifter that would survive camshaft break in?
Send a batch of batch of used lifters out of a stock engine to Oregon Cam Grinders to get reground and hardened/rebuilt.

I think I got my EDM solid lifters from Hugh’s but that was 9 years or so ago. They held up fine on a .650 lift cam for five years.

I didn't read 36 posts. Mike Jones, aka Cam King & renowned cam grinder said a while back that the FT lifters are made off shore, only one company making them in the US. This week on Speed talk he said he has Chebby lifters.....for $320.
So if you are getting lifters for much less.....they are not going to be US made.
As has been said sooooooooooooooooooooooooo many times on forums like this: if you do NOT want lobe lifter/failure, have some factory lifters re-faced.

I didn't read 36 posts. Mike Jones, aka Cam King & renowned cam grinder said a while back that the FT lifters are made off shore, only one company making them in the US. This week on Speed talk he said he has Chebby lifters.....for $320.
So if you are getting lifters for much less.....they are not going to be US made.
As has been said sooooooooooooooooooooooooo many times on forums like this: if you do NOT want lobe lifter/failure, have some factory lifters re-faced.
He's wrong about that. Melling makes lifters and most other engine parts here. This is from their web site. All of the lifters I just bought for a friend's 283 Chevy have "MADE IN USA" on the boxes, as well as the set I got for my Ford 400 a while back.

"Melling serves the global transportation original equipment and aftermarket segments and is noted for its world-class engineering, product development, and distribution capabilities. Melling operates 7 facilities, 5 in North America, 1 in Mexico, and 1 in Europe."

Notice China is glaringly absent from their list of factories.

The only other lifter I trust other than Melling is the one in the picture. I buy them through Pro-Topline. They offer many options in their flat tappet line up such as, anti-pump-up, lightweight, carbide like material, EDM oiling, etc.... Get out your wallet though, they are pricey, but now more than any other time in history "You get what you pay for". Topline Autos website has some absolutely fabulous tech info that everyone should read. J.Rob

p.s. The example shown is a 84g solid flat tappet Mopar.

p.s.s. I have never had one of these fail--ever. I have given some VERY valuable info here.

thumbnail_20240525_075031.jpg

1000005845 (2).jpg

1000005847.jpg

20240525_075842.jpg

Those are the only two places where know of off hand in the ISA making lifters. Johnson Hylict and Mellings. I’ve had no problems with Mellings on performance cams.

Anyone know anything about the manufacturing where abouts on Rhodes lifters?
Besides being made in the USA

IDK if Johnson lifters are still operating.

@Dan the man , cam companies don’t make there own lifters, they spec what they want to a lifter company and call it there own.

If you guys think the 'US made' FT lifters are OK, then you should watch a few Powell Machine Co videos...

Thanks to everyone's knowledge, I think I'm going to spend a little now to save a lot later, and go with a hydraulic roller. This will be for a triple black 71 numbers matching Duster.

Sounds like it would be a good investment for hydraulic flat tappet lifters. Isn't there a treatment that can be done to the cam as well?
Fancy coatings on parts that aren’t to spec isn’t going to help. Much of the failures are due to incorrect profile on lifter faces and cam lobes so they end up not spinning. I’m sure there are some due to metallurgy but unless you’re running significant spring pressures, the exotic coatings and oiling methods are not warranted. Use parts that are made correctly to begin with and they’ll work this as well as they did back in the good old days.

-
Back