Another 4mulaSvaliant CREATION! No More Column Shifter!

-
Oh and I have now began the process of protecting my idea. Once finalized it will be sold by a local Rod and Custom shop. This is a great shop doing excellent work and has become a great friend of mine.

Outlaws Rod and Custom.

http://outlawsrc.com/contact.htm

Don't worry guys, the price will not be affected by this. I will make it as marketable as possible!
I have taken the necessary steps prior to patenting, and am moving in that direction with it.

The rubber sleeve around the upper bearing serves as vibration damper just like motor supports and such.
The provisional patent application is good for one year and may be all you need. Worked for me. You'll probably satidy 75% of your market in the first year anyway.The complete patenting process is very expensive and unnessasry in some cases.

4mula, that is a very cool and much needed piece of equipment there. You have some great ideas and prototyping new projects seems second nature with you. Good work! Keep it up.

Thx for the comments guys! My next question is, what are people willing to pay for something like this?
Like I said, keep in mind.

1. You dont have to locate a floor shift column.
2. You dont need to replace the entire column.
3. All the factory switches and parts can be used.
4. It will look nearly original. (Im sure if it were painted, most would never notice) I will be painting mine, so we will see.
5. Floor shift columns seem to be rare.

If you have read the 2 main installments I have posted, then you will see that installation is pretty darn simple. If I had more to read about removing the old parts and would have noticed the first "C" clip holding the bearing in, it would have gone much faster than it did.
Of course if this idea takes off, Ill be sure to post a how to article

Let me know what you guys think.
As of right now there are NO floor shift columns for A-bodies on Ebay.
I have been keeping an eye on this as you can imagine. Like I said in a prior post the 67-69 floor shift column I last seen, went for $307.00.
I have yet to get a quote on these yet, so with your input and whatever the machine shop tells me, we'll figure if they are worth making.
Thx guys

If you can buy a factory column for $300.00, then in order to make it a viable alternative it would have to save the prospective customer some substantial green.$$$$ I would think something in the $200.00 range. The hard part will be finding the unique group of people that are going to need one.

Thats a nice piece. The factory covers go for around $75 for a 71 later piece with the ignition and release lever on it. 70 covers are more because they are one year only. ignition on the column, no release lever. I cant say I remember seeing a 69 and earlier cover for sale though.

Paint it black and most people wont realize its not original.

Cool deal man, I never in my wildest dreams thought I would sell as many gas caps as I have, but I sold enough to pay for the car that they fit ! Keep coming up with ideas and put them on FABO and Ebay . Whatever I can do to make my hobby more affordable, I try .

Steve

Looking really good and love the idea of a quick'n'easy fix for converting to floor shift without still having all of the column shift stuff left showing. Please keep me on your list for a future buy - if the price is reasonable. Like most everyone else, my build is on a fairly strict budget - especially in this economy.
Looking forward to more pics and more info.

Ok this is pretty well the finished piece. As I said before Ill be painting mine, as to make it blend as if it were original. One way or the other, :bounce: I love it!! Give me your input people! Thx.

Columb Skirt final 001.jpg

Columb Skirt final 002.jpg

Columb Skirt final 003.jpg

Columb Skirt final 004.jpg

Columb Skirt final 005.jpg

Columb Skirt final 006.jpg

Thats awesome IMHO!

A great solution to this issue!

It could be powdered to match an interior, or left as is for that cool machined look.......Impressive!

How heavy is it, just out of curiosity?

2 lbs isnt bad at all!

So when you mount the steering wheel that cavity is all hidden?

Would probably be good to show one with the whole deal ll done.

Looks great though so far!

This is how some of the best products out there got started!

That looks really nice. Heck I would probably just stick it back on the arbor and sanded it down to 2000 grit and polish the heck out of it and Zoop seal it.

I have no Idea how much is into it exactly but I have been looking for columns and it seams that I can find then for about 200 on this site and a little (not much) more off of ebag when they do pop up. That being said this is a very nice looking pat and I an interested.

Im going to make the slight mods I had to incorporate and then look into getting quotes to make them. Ill get all the details figured then Ill be sure to see what I can do to make them available. Thx guys, this has been great!

awesome looking column man! keep us posted on a price, i would be interested if it is reasonable enough.

Ok well, I have dragged this project from the depths because I found a new machinest with CNC capabilities at a decent price for my adapters. Now I have given him the files related to this to let me know where we stand with a price to make this, or tell me if he is even interested.
However, here are some pics of the final "raw" part. Sorry for the poor quality shots. Ipods with low light = crappy pics! :)

Also, I still plan to paint mine. It should blend in pretty well.

Attachments

• Column Skirt-01.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 230
  • Column Skirt-02.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 247
  • Column Skirt-03.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 240
i like it, you should get a patent so nobody steals your design and starts making them in china. any way to make it for a column ignition setup?

I like it! Please let us know price and availability when your machinist gets back to you.

-
Back