Another age old question!

-

CUDACOX

Reaction score
Hi all, O.K. I'm sure this has been posted to death but.. What is the best factory fit (pulley's ect) Harmonic balancer to use without breaking the bank? Internally balanced.

Might as well go with a SFI approved unit Craig. Most aftermarket balancers are for the later style timing cover that's marked on the drivers side. Not sure if that's a issue in your case?

I've never heard anything bad about the Summit units, and the're very reasonable in price. The pulley mounting area is also recessed so it looks like it would work with a stock pulley set.....But I can't confirm that.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-c4277/overview/make/plymouth

The Pioneer brand is also reasonable, but I've never heard any feedback on those.

Just for informational purposes, to achieve a SFI 18.1 rating.....It has to spin between 12,500 & 13,500 rpm's for 1hr.
Yikes! :D [ame]http://www.sfifoundation.com/wp-content/pdfs/specs/Spec_18.1_061799.pdf[/ame]

Craig,I used a new Pioneer dampner(H.balancer) on my 360 when I first got it.It was for externally balanced engine,but I,m sure thy make one for internally balanced engines.I use a Super Dampner on my stroker engine,cost a bunch for piece of mind.:supz:

Craig,I used a new Pioneer dampner(H.balancer) on my 360 when I first got it.It was for externally balanced engine,but I,m sure thy make one for internally balanced engines.I use a Super Dampner on my stroker engine,cost a bunch for piece of mind.:supz:
* Thanks Scott!

Hey Craig the best bet is to find out what your engine builder recommends and buy from him,probably for a better price as he,s paying less than you would from a different source.

I went with the balanced SFI one from Summit for my internal balance 410 that oldmanrick posted a link for.
I think its a great choice for the money.

Pioneer is the bang for the buck IMO. Have seen a number of Summit / Professional Products dampers go to chit.

im using a engine pro HB for a stick 360 different than auto 360...stock pulleys line up great and have had no problems so far,,also is deep snout so it pushes on slinger and crank gear when torqued to speck..works for me...100 bucks..j

Pioneer is the bang for the buck IMO. Have seen a number of Summit / Professional Products dampers go to chit.

x2. If you go with either of the above make sure you get an SFI approved one. They are still cheap in terms of quality, but they won't come apart like the non-SFI ones can.

* Thanks.Did it work with stock pulleys?

Good question. lol
I will pull the stock pulley off the 318 if I get a chance this week and try it out. it is supposed to. I have not gotten that far yet with the rebuild

-
Back