Another Cam Thread

-

GreyWizard

Reaction score
Hi all:

I hope to liberate my 360 from the machine shop Tuesday. As a consequence, I need to make a cam decision.

Basics:

1973 Swinger
3500 lbs w/driver
3.55 Sure Grip
26" Rear tire
2400 Stall
360+.030 LA
10.2:1 CR
Speedmaster As-cast aluminum heads
Performer RPM
Quick Fuel 650 DP
Altitude 5800'
Current cam Comp Cams High Energy 218/218

Application: Pump gas, Street/Strip

Any thoughts from the experts?

Thank you all in advance.

Another cam thread.. NOOOOO!!... LOL...
Just joking.. I can't give a good suggestion but to the gurus I want to make sure they taken too heavy consideration your altitude!.. When I visit my son in Colorado I don't care what it is four cylinder, minivan, hot rod, or whatever them cars make a big sucking sound at all times..

I don’t have experience with your elevation. I’m a few feet above sea level on a Island. My wife’s 360 has a slug height of zero deck and CNC ported ProMaxx heads for just under 11-1 and runs a mello 224/230 @.050 Hyd. roller cam on a 110 with mid .500 lift. I will be adding 1.6 rockers later to take advantage of the CNC ported heads.
The rest of the gear and cars weight is the same except the carb is a 750 Edelbrock which performs with excellence. And a full TTI exhaust system stem to stern.

I find this can to be a really good street performer though the converter is a wee tight for best results but meets the goal for an absolute easy going easy to drive every day driver build. It has a good top end and it is a snappy responding mill.

If you go one step up on the cam to a 230@050, you should loose. Up the converter with the 3.55’s. This particular set up was popular when I was in my early 20’s. (30 years ago) The Chevy guys that did this set up called it the Triple 350 set up. It made for a good streeter hot rod. 350 engine, trans and gear ratio.

Are you octane limited? 91?

Thank you for your thoughts. If I understand, you are saying with my 2400 (advertised) stall, I might do well to stay with the 218/218? Yes 91 octane is the max here.

Are you sure you're at 10.2? Pistons at deck (or whatever is getting you to your number). Your current cam is pretty close to what you'd want up here to avoid bleeding off too much, except I'd consider one of the Hughes (Howard's?!) grinds for more lift to take better advantage of those heads. I've been running one of their solid flats for the past two years and love it (I'm predominantly strip though and set up accordingly, just referencing that I like and run their cam).
Here are the two Hughes cams:
Hughes Engines
This one's just a little bigger, but probably too big if you're mostly street and once or twice a year strip:
Hughes Engines
What are you doing for rockers? Reason I ask is I have a set of Speedmaster roller rockers that I'm not going to use and would sell dirt cheap if you'd like to check em out. I live down in Centennial and work up in Lakewood.

If I understand, you are saying with my 2400 (advertised) stall, I might do well to stay with the 218.

If that was my thought I would have come straight out and said that. Don’t assume and say, what I left in bold. Ill say it dead out. I said what I said with ZERO READING IN BETWEEN the LINES. Why would you even think I’d beat around the bush and leave you to guess?!?!

WTF is with that? Seriously! WTF?!?!

Are you sure you're at 10.2? Pistons at deck (or whatever is getting you to your number). Your current cam is pretty close to what you'd want up here to avoid bleeding off too much, except I'd consider one of the Hughes (Howard's?!) grinds for more lift to take better advantage of those heads. I've been running one of their solid flats for the past two years and love it (I'm predominantly strip though and set up accordingly, just referencing that I like and run their cam).
Hughes Engines
This one's just a little bigger, but probably too big if you're mostly street and once or twice a year strip:
Hughes Engines
What are you doing for rockers? Reason I ask is I have a set of Speedmaster roller rockers that I'm not going to use and would sell dirt cheap if you'd like to check em out. I live down in Centennial and work up in Lakewood.
I like the Hughes cams a bit. Lots of lift for the duration and a nice quick lobe. All good for power production.

If that was my thought I would have come straight out and said that. Don’t assume and say, what I left in bold. Ill say it dead out. I said what I said with ZERO READING IN BETWEEN the LINES. Why would you even think I’d beat around the bush and leave you to guess?!?!

WTF is with that? Seriously! WTF?!?!

I hope you are not serious but if you are, my goodness.

In any case, I was confused by this:

“If you go one step up on the cam to a 230@050, you should loose. Up the converter with the 3.55’s.”

Hughes Engines
Hughes Engines

I think I have compression right. My pistons have a +5cc piston head volume and are about .015” in the hole.

My car is predominately strip as well. Perhaps we have raced? I compete in Club Clash and Friday E.T. Series.

I will definitely check out the Hughes cams.

Thank you for the offer. I However, ordered the stainless steel rockers with the heads.

Perfect! I run Friday nights as well (club and ET):thumbsup:

FWIW, you might consider a little more stall to soak up some of the rpm drop on shifts if it's in the budget. Or run it as-is next year and see how it does, then decide. It'd just be easier now since you have easy access with that motor out of the way.

Are you driving what's in your profile pic? I'll look for you in April!

Another cam thread.. NOOOOO!!... LOL...
Just joking.. I can't give a good suggestion but to the gurus I want to make sure they taken too heavy consideration your altitude!.. When I visit my son in Colorado I don't care what it is four cylinder, minivan, hot rod, or whatever them cars make a big sucking sound at all times..
Keeps Joey's post counts up. :lol:

30AF9C7E-A0C2-46BD-B553-9C87D8E2FBB7.png
Perfect! I run Friday nights as well (club and ET):thumbsup:

Are you driving what's in your profile pic? I'll look for you in April!

Does this car look familiar?

View attachment 1715435106 View attachment 1715435106 View attachment 1715435106

I hope you are not serious but if you are, my goodness.
How do you figure. Your the one putting words in my mouth.
You left me no choice but to post what I did.

In any case, I was confused by this:
“If you go one step up on the cam to a 230@050, you should loose. Up the converter with the 3.55’s.”
More cam = more converter. Even more so when it is not coupled with more gear.

How do you figure. Your the one putting words in my mouth.
You left me no choice but to post what I did.

I started my sentence with "If I understand" and ended with a ?. I am not certain how you felt I was putting words in your mouth.

I do however, appreciate your contribution.

To the MOD who edited my post, I did no such thing but reply in kind and perhaps YOU should address the *** clown who insults first.

Please reinstate my post as written.

I started my sentence with "If I understand" and ended with a ?. I am not certain how you felt I was putting words in your mouth.
Easy, I’ll high light the words that put words in my mouth, AGAIN!
Thank you for your thoughts. If I understand, you are saying with my 2400 (advertised) stall,
Those highlighted words puts words in my mouth and understanding that as anything less is just playing stupid to the insult you pay me without reason showing your just simply rude and assume way to much of others as if I cannot read and comprehend what I read.
Your rude without reason. Nothing I said warranted a sly but sharp reply with the added and totally hilarious statement from you of not understanding while quoting yourself but only half of the sentence in which you leave out. Playing dumb? You do it poorly.
This leaves me with your last sentence thanking me which I can only read as condescending.

I see all of this insulting post without cause or reason.
Thanks for nothing. Jerk.

[

If you go one step up on the cam to a 230@050, you should loose. Up the converter

Your punctuation sucks.... jerk.

OK then, just makin sure. Pretty Pathetic of you. On several fronts really.
1. You have no dog in this.
2. Your attempt to ridicule me is only amplified on yourself for your failure to properly press the reply button and fail at the quote. It didn’t even show up!
Pathetic!

Go back under the bed covers and mind your own biz.
You don’t like what you read here in this thread?
Then don’t tune in, just walk on by. Have a nice day somewhere else.

OK then, just makin sure. Pretty Pathetic of you. On several fronts really.
1. You have no dog in this.
2. Your attempt to ridicule me is only amplified on yourself for your failure to properly press the reply button and fail at the quote. It didn’t even show up!
Pathetic!

Go back under the bed covers and mind your own biz.
You don’t like what you read here in this thread?
Then don’t tune in, just walk on by. Have a nice day somewhere else.

I just caint help myself. lol

-
Back