another carb choice question

-

Viper21700

Reaction score
Ok gents. Im dead set on my choice of carbs now. Going to drop the dime and pick up a street demon carb. But my is which one should i get. The 725cfm or the 625cfm... i have a 600 holley on it now which works fine but im wanting something different. The engine is a la block 360 with a rv cam in it... eventually the engine will be swapped with a mild built magnum. Is the 725 going to be too much carb?

Posted via Topify on Android

If the Holly is working fine, then why swap it out?
Is the RV cam a permanent choice? then the smaller one will be Ok.Even a 500 would work. Even a big 2bbl would work.
Why not run it with the 600 til the Magnum is built? Its a long time between now and then. Plans may change. Either one will work fine on either motor, just about 80% or 90% of the time. But if you think that you might go bigger on the cam some day, or adding headers, I would choose the bigger one.
Guys have put TunnelRams and CrossRams and 2x4s and 6Pacs and all kinds of 4bbls on every sz of LA and all kinds of cams and just about every combo can be made to work.
If you have to have a new carb, then it all comes down to; What are you expecting from your combo and what are your tuning abilities. From post #1; flip a coin. I might bet you wont feel hardly any difference, and if you do it will only be at WOT and after peak-torque, to redline, and under full load. How often will you be going there?
You know, after rereading this post,it kinda sounds like Im being an a$$. That was not my intention.
If it was my choice it would be TQ. I love those.Theres so many reasons to love them. I wish somebody would bring more tuning parts for them to market.

X'2. The larger 700+CFM carb is best suited for a hot street engine. Not that it can't be made to work. If the current carb is working well, leave it. Purchase the 725 for the next engine, not for temp use with the current.

625 but I'd stay away from the demons. I've dealt with 2 and nothing but issues. They've been in and out of business and have had known production quality issues. I'm sold on the 4150 hp series carbs.

625 but I'd stay away from the demons. I've dealt with 2 and nothing but issues. They've been in and out of business and have had known production quality issues. I'm sold on the 4150 hp series carbs.

He's talking about the new carburetors that are out since Holley bought Barry Grant out. They have a great rep so far.

So i think ill settle with the 625. Why does everyine love the thermoquad?

Same reason Chrysler did. Because one size carburetor can be used on a multitude of engines with just a little tuning and they can produce great power and respectable economy. That's a hell of a lot to ask of a carburetor, but when they are in good tune they do just that. That's why the new Street Demons are a hit, because they are very similar in design to the Thermoquad.

The question of the day right there! Probably because it's stamped mopar.

Funny, all the ones I've ever seen were stamped Carter. Especially since Ford, international and GM used them too.

Funny, all the ones I've ever seen were stamped Carter. Especially since Ford, international and GM used them too.

Did they use them on the 345?

Same reason Chrysler did. Because one size carburetor can be used on a multitude of engines with just a little tuning and they can produce great power and respectable economy. That's a hell of a lot to ask of a carburetor, but when they are in good tune they do just that. That's why the new Street Demons are a hit, because they are very similar in design to the Thermoquad.
So the Street Demon is a good choice ? Will it fit the Air Gap intake on a 340 ?

I'll second that...biggest piece of crap carb I ever bought was a 750 mighty demon...4150 h.p. are a good choice..i'm currently running a 850 QuickFuel best damn carb I've ever used not one issue in the 5 seasons I had it on:burnout::burnout::burnout:

They don't... we called them thermo-BOGS back in the day use to throw them in the garbage...
Really ? I had an 850 off a 73 RR 440 and it was the best carb I had ever run on my old 318 and 360 , Got great gas mileage (Compared to the holley 750 it replaced ) and ran great at the track .

Really ? I had an 850 off a 73 RR 440 and it was the best carb I had ever run on my old 318 and 360 , Got great gas mileage (Compared to the holley 750 it replaced ) and ran great at the track .

x2 It will be a cold day when I give up my thermoquad.

They don't... we called them thermo-BOGS back in the day use to throw them in the garbage...

Used to love you guys. Bought up all the HP TQ's I could get my hands on. If you can rebuild and tune carbs, there is nothing better for the street. Second best is the QuadraJet, but that takes more work. 750 cfm and mid 20's mpg on a HP small block, and once set up you were done.

Because the small primaries afford excellent throttle response, good velocity for excellent fuel atomization and the potentail of better fuel mileage.
The secondary side has tunable spring loaded air door that opens up to massive 2.25 X 2 throttle plates.
The carb is a 3 part sandwich with the phenolic resin center keeping fuel cooler by approx. 20*'s.
The tuning rods are hard to come by. But they are a three step rod. It can be confusing to tune with them. But it can offer a good fuel curve. Generally speaking, there a cheap carb. With flow rates of 800 & 850 CFM, you can use them on a wide verity of engine sizes and combinations.

The TQ is best used as a street or street strip carb because it is very flexable and forgiving. To use one as a race carb would require some good knowledge of a carb and the TQ itself.

Draw backs in reply to the next quote....

Yes! Very popular carb to miss treated and abused. Once they went out of wack, work out and became highly miss adjusted, no one wanted to learn to fix and tune them. The heat got to many of them and crack the middle section. Then after cool down and many heating and cooling cycles, the aluminum top and or bottom warp. Throttle shafts hollow out, linkages bend. It becomes a mess and nearly impossible to fix on the home front.

When the carb was largely in use, under hood temps with tons of emissions devices furtherly hampered the carbs ability as a performer. The TQ was not alone in these troubled years.
Heat was that carbs biggest enemy and problem.

The current problems of the TQ start with getting a good core. Then a proper rebuild. Followed by proper parts. Many people forget or do not realize the gasket needed under it needs to be thick! Not the normal paper thin gasket.

Next would be the lack of electric choke models. There are hard to come by generally speaking and non existing in the larger 850 version. You have to ether remove the choke flap or cobble a cable for it. Also rods and jets are hard to find and pricey when found.

The big inch Buick guys love the thermoquad also.

I don't know any big inch Buick guys. Rare to see one period.

Big cubic inch I meant. Like in 455/500 CI. LOL. Any warm 340/360 I would look for only a 850 cfm, to play with, they are actually simple to rebuild, and once you understand the operation of one and the sequence of tuning one it's a peice of cake. I have a great 850 for sale in the mechanical parts for sale section, it has some of the more popular mods done to it if anyone wants to see and read what a good quad looks like!

I knew what ya ment. Just about a zero amount of Buick guys here.

I love the Byoowacks. They're the only muscle car era engines ever rated at over 500 LB FT. I have always said that had they made a version of the F body, there wouldda been a Hemi killer.

-
Back