another console idea

-

red67gts

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My 67 Dart GT I call "decoy" came with buckets and no console and there was no place to set a beverage so I had an extra console and got an idea. I took the shifter plate out and went to Academy Sports and bought two stainless cup holders then cut a plate to fit the cup holders where the shifter was. Man is this handy! Joe

Attachments

• DSC06094[1].jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 548
  • DSC06095[1].jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 556
Cool but I gotta ask, why do you even need cup holders in these cars?

have to have something to sip on while taking long trips, no alcohol

I had thought about changing to floor shift but then I thought of this and I really like it as it gives me storage in back for papers and pistol out of sight. The console sits in place without moving or being bolted down so I can just pick it up and set it out of the way to work under dash

I'm digging the cup holder modification. This was literally my one gripe about my 68. Apparently I have been too pampered with vehicles that have them. Hence my console project. And as to why they need cup holders, it's because I hate having to shove my drink at an angle under the bucket and aganst the hump just for it to fall anyway. My dart is also my daily driver to and from work, what daily driver means: is that I throw trash into the back seat, and clean it up when I get home - maybe.:glasses7:

what a dumb question

because on long trips its nice to have something to hold your dring instead of having it roll around the floor..

I guess I've just spent too much time on the autobahn at high speeds. There driving with focus is WAY more important then having a drink in your car. Man how I wish they'd make an autobahn here in America, I can dream :burnout:

maybe this will give someone an easy idea to get cupholder

I'm digging the cup holder modification. This was literally my one gripe about my 68. Apparently I have been too pampered with vehicles that have them. Hence my console project. And as to why they need cup holders, it's because I hate having to shove my drink at an angle under the bucket and aganst the hump just for it to fall anyway. My dart is also my daily driver to and from work, what daily driver means: is that I throw trash into the back seat, and clean it up when I get home - maybe.:glasses7:

HAH I used to do that(the clean part) but now I just get going past the recycle place and make sure my top is down. @ about 45 everything decides to remove itself right about the time I make it past the recycle place. :glasses7:

"ice cold beer in the console" Jason Aldean :)

don't know about the beer but hopefully iced tea will chill down too!
I'm hoping with that with my console. The A/C ducting running the length of the console and routed to the back it'll keep mine cool. my cupholders are going right into the ductwork in the console. sort of like the dodge caliber glovebox idea. I swiped the ductwork from a truck I found in the salvage yard. I need another length of pipe and a couple of turns to finish up my A/C ducting.

Nice job Red67!

Here are a few photos of something I whipped up a few months ago.

I wanted an armrest built into it plus I wanted two cupholders. I found the perfect donor on Ebay (Volvo) and then fabbed a pedestal from a 4x4 and covered it in black vinyl. I used Velcro to stick it in place, but I will be switching to a foam glue pad because elbows knock it off the Velcro.

The ashtray is just a coin box and a blank was placed over the shifter hole. I got the console from another FABO member (thanks!!!). Someday I'll get around to painting the console black and installing the side carpeting.:blob:

Attachments

• DSC0063014.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 339
  • DSC0063214.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 297
  • DSC0063414.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 315
  • DSC0063514.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 321
  • DSC0063914.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 297
  • DSC0064114.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 341
  • DSC0064514.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 333
Very interesting stuff. I don't have the fab skills for this. Sometimes I wish I had the guts to cut the console mounts out of mine. The console isn't even in there at present, LOL

Great info! I was laying in bed Fri. Night thinking about the same concept! I have a 66 Signet vert I've been cruising in and miss a cup/bottle/can holder. I also have an extra console I bought from a FABO member - I am planning on making my post car my daily driver - but it will be a 4 speed car. Might have to get creative and move the cup holder back!

Great info! I was laying in bed Fri. Night thinking about the same concept! I have a 66 Signet vert I've been cruising in and miss a cup/bottle/can holder. I also have an extra console I bought from a FABO member - I am planning on making my post car my daily driver - but it will be a 4 speed car. Might have to get creative and move the cup holder back!
hey 67 dart send ur console to me, I`ll take good care of it for u!:D

I had a better idea for mine... There is a TV add for a new cell phone holder. The bonding surface on it is lots of tiny suction cups. That is what I need on the bottom of my cup holder.

-
Back