Another early a header question

-
But do you need to modify the column with manual steering with a console auto?

It would be great if someone who's done this would do a "how to" one this, because l've heard a lot conflicting information.

It would be great if someone who's done this would do a "how to" one this, because l've heard a lot conflicting information.

i agree so many comments from; i heard, i saw, my friend, or back in 78 blah blah blah... We need some people who have owned it made it and run it to really confirm the different scenerios for auto on the column, auto on the floor and 4 speed. What have you done and how it works.

I did see a recent thread that talked about port matching the stock manifolds and grinding down some of the high spots. They had some dyno tests that showed that they performed as well as the late model manifolds mentioned in here.

Disclaimer - I haven't done this. I run Doug's headers. sounds like it would be an option if you wanted to save some change and do a bit of "hotrodding" work...

Got my mannifold machined at a local race shop this week :D, thanks for the the great advice TheCraigMachine! I'm going to try this swap because don't want to deal with headers if I can help it and I need better flow for the built 340 I'm putting in the car. I'll post thread on what I find when get around to putting it all back together.

My 1965 'Cuda has a 273 w/manual steering and floor/console shifting...don't have a cable mechanism at end of steering column.. would the steering coupler as is be an interference with '93 Dakota manifolds?

Also I see mention of " SCHUMACHER Motor Mounts", what is specific about those?

Whilst perusing a local bone yard today I did find a 1993 Dakota/Manifolds...:0

Thanks

If you have a factory floor shift column, you should be golden. You still 'may' run into some interference with the steering coupler however. If you do, I think Flaming River makes a universal joint style coupler that should clear just for us mopar guys. I would think that as long as you have good, new motor mounts (not sagging) and mill the specified amount from the gasket face then you should be good to go.

As far as the schumacher motor mounts, that's what my car has in it. I don't know if it makes any difference in engine placement vs a factory V8 car, because I've never had and early A with a V8 to compare it to. It seems to put the engine in what I would assume to be a factory location, because everything clears on all sides with just enough clearance.

I worked hard to make these manifolds fit, because I didnt want to deal with the hassle of headers on a street only car. Other than the factory V8 a body manifolds, these are the ONLY option. Ive tried several different styles and years of manifolds, even one off of a pre-magnum 318 dakota, and the only ones that came remotely close to fitting are the magnum engine manifolds. As far as which year to use, I really dont think it matters, as all the magnum engine manifolds are pretty much the same regardless of year or vehicle that they came from.

But do you need to modify the column with manual steering with a console auto?

Console shifted should be just fine, as long as it doesnt have a column shifted column in the car.

Factory column shifted automatic with the cable shift column will not clear!!! Thats not to say that a later (66 and up) column wouldnt fit with minor mods, Ive just never tried it. That would technically be a one year only column, and Ive never looked at or seen one for that matter. You could use a 67-69 column if you had one, as I believe those years still had the key in the dash.

I myself just said to hell with all that and installed one of those aftermarket tilt GM style columns, for the fit, the tilt, the looks, and the GM style wiring connections (car has been rewired with EZ wire kit).
Be forwarned however, that with new steering columns, you get what you pay for! Dont ask me how I know! :banghead:

I have seen/herd that these do work, and flow super good for a 273.
I believe these are the manifolds we need for our V8 A bodies

Attachments

• Eastate sale day 025.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 268
I have a set of those manifolds That I wont be using if any one needs a set I would be happy to let them go cheap. say 50.00 bucks plus shipping. Mine are off a 97 magnumn.

If ALL else fails 92-03 magnum manifolds are sold through parts stores via dorman manufacturing. if i remember right they arent that expensive either.

What exactly are they from mike
I am not real sure, looks like a set off a la Dakota truck, just a guess, I bout them because where they dump at, and I could not let them pass me by for $17.50 for the 2 sets at an auction this weekend :D

I will have to get the numbers off of them and find out.

I am not real sure, looks like a set off a la Dakota truck, just a guess, I bout them because where they dump at, and I could not let them pass me by for $17.50 for the 2 sets at an auction this weekend :D

I will have to get the numbers off of them and find out.

Those are the ones I have and they came off a 96 Ram got them for $20 for the pair from a guy who headers on his truck.

-
Back