Another Indy/RHS/X head question

-

Dartwizer

FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looking for machine shop that CNC the Indy,RHS heads.
They are new LA style

Nobody likes to CNC iron heads, takes too long and is hard on tooling.

Brian had a program, the vendor said no more.

Nobody likes to CNC iron heads, takes too long and is hard on tooling.

Brian had a program, the vendor said no more.
The cost of tools is crazy. LOL, I don't think you will use only 1 bit in one head.

Why CNC? Lower cost?
The CNC machine is not cheap and you must know how to program it and then make sure it is doing what you want it to. Cheap? In a way, yes. When you port many many heads to pay off the machine.
Wouldn't the CNC be more precise from port to port?
Yes. However, when your good your good and it will show. Knowing your craft like nobody else's biz is where it is at. Some people can reproduce a dart throw bulls eye after bulls eye because there is a certain something within that allows percise repetitive mimicking muscle memory esteem the eyes and arms.

Also, a CNC program will constantly reproduce the exact programmed job time and time again. Which is great IF that is what you require for your engine and set up.

Hand porting offers flexablity not available through CNC work.

If you can wait a few months Hughes engines will probably be having their winter discount specials which include cnc porting..

Wouldn't the CNC be more precise from port to port?
Yes, but it will reproduce the same flow-reducing mistakes over and over. Are you looking for absolute max flow?? Or just a certain level of flow or a certain level of HP?

I experienced a 2-3 tenths ET benefit in the 1/4 going from a set of as cast port OEM 360 heads w/1.88/1.60 valves to the as cast port LA-X 1.92/1.625 valve heads. Final chamber cc's were 3-4 less on the LA-X for a bit more compression. Both had similar valve jobs and everything else was the same on the engine and the rest of the car. I don't remember if there were any minor jetting tweaks needed for the change to optimize the heads.

Dartwizer,

I had a pair of Indy LAX/RHS put on my new 360 engine. I had my builder go through them. Had all the valves lapped and 3 exhaust seats needed touched up and look at the guides. I also went with machined and hardened locks. And had them gasket matched and mild work on the ports. It was another 400.00 more or less. But worth it IMO and the builders too.

FYI,
Marion

-
Back