Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
Just realized this threads title.............. Don't even remember the cuda anymore. lol
I might have to start over.:protest:

Just realized this threads title.............. Don't even remember the cuda anymore. lol
I might have to start over.:protest:

It's the ADHD. Just be glad I'm not dyslexic or the title might have been "kcabtsaF aducarraB - tsiL tekcuB yM ffO rapoM rehtonA".

The 'Cuda will be making a comeback on the thread after I knock out some of this other work that piled up. I still need to swap shocks and converter on it. I didn't get it done in time to test it at the track this year but I am still anxious to see how much it will improve. I'll be ready by Spring.

Last edited:
It's the ADHD. Just be glad I'm not dyslexic or the title might have been "kcabtsaF aducarraB - tsiL tekcuB yM ffO rapoM rehtonA".

The 'Cuda will be making a comeback on the thread after I knock out some of this other work that piled up. I still need to swap shocks and converter on it. I didn't get it done in time to test it at the track this year but I am still anxious to see how much it will improve. I'll be ready by Spring.

What about the Charger?:blob:

67, I'm lovin what you are doing to the Duster. That gold paint on the headers looks great and can't wait to see them in place. That Gold tint looks good on the panels. Between your postings here and a few others I'm getting way to many ideas for my Scamp. :)

Jim

Attachments

• 10530938_10154525728725437_7931810865382317385_n.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 253
What about the Charger?:blob:
10530938_10154525728725437_7931810865382317385_n-jpg.jpg

The Charger was supposed to have already been in the garage. I'm running way behind schedule. Most of the progress on it was made while my son was overseas. He's been getting antsy about seeing it get done.

He's gotten to call the shots on it because it's his car. Part of the problem is that he has often changed direction on which way to go with it. He has toyed around with the idea of major suspension mods even though we'd ordered everything in to rebuild the stock suspension. I rebuilt the dash and he's considering going full custom with it now.

He purchased the '70 Roadrunner and 2010 Challenger since getting out of the service and both of those got us sidetracked off the Charger too.

I don't want to ignore the Charger but I've got my own projects that I want to finish. (the '67 Cuda, '72 Duster, '79 Lil Red, the funnycar, a glass T-bucket and a '29 Model A pickup) I figure if I stay busy I'll only have to live another 50 years to get them done.

Last edited:
The Charger was supposed to have already been in the garage. I'm running way behind schedule. Most of the progress on it was made while my son was overseas. He's been getting antsy about seeing it get done.

He's gotten to call the shots on it because it's his car. Part of the problem is that he has often changed direction on which way to go with it. He has toyed around with the idea of major suspension mods even though we'd ordered everything in to rebuild the stock suspension. I rebuilt the dash and he's considering going full custom with it now.

He purchased the '70 Roadrunner and 2010 Challenger since getting out of the service and both of those got us sidetracked off the Charger too.

I don't want to ignore the Charger but I've got my own projects that I want to finish. (the '67 Cuda, '72 Duster, '79 Lil Red, the funnycar, a glass T-bucket and a '29 Model A pickup) I figure if I stay busy I'll only have to live another 50 years to get them done.

Glass T bucket AND a '29 A ? Geez.....

Glass T bucket AND a '29 A ? Geez.....

I don't usually mention my non-Mopar projects. There's also a '66 Impala and the '69 Chevelle. The T-bucket was the very first project I had. - Still not done. I bought it when I was 19 and didn't know enough back then about how to finish it. - Tunnel rammed 283 out of a '58 Chebby.

Last edited:
I don't usually mention my non-Mopar projects. There's also a '66 Impala and the '69 Chevelle. The T-bucket was the very first project I had. - Still not done. I bought it when I was 19 and didn't know enough back then about how to finish it. - Tunnel rammed 283 out of a '58 Chebby.

Trust me, I understand....

67, I'm lovin what you are doing to the Duster. That gold paint on the headers looks great and can't wait to see them in place. That Gold tint looks good on the panels. Between your postings here and a few others I'm getting way to many ideas for my Scamp. :)

Thanks dcdriver. After all of the years of using VHT on headers I'm beginning to think that this stove paint may be better. It's not chalky like the VHT. I like to see a finish that isn't as flat as the VHT is and this stove paint has a smoother (sort of like satin or semi-gloss) look and feel. I think the flat finish probably collects dirt faster.

img_3875-jpg.jpg

I do like the gold on the headers more than the orange but I'm thinking that I may have gone overboard with all the tint. I may not have enough contrasting color to make things stand out. I guess I'll reserve final judgement until I get it all back together.

I still need to tint the front panel but have to wait until I get all the holes drilled. (My drill shelled out on me)

img_3876-jpg.jpg

img_3877-jpg.jpg

img_3878-jpg.jpg

One thing I'm considering is taking the tint off of the valve covers and air cleaner. Maybe a black lid and polished aluminum valve cover would look better.

I spent the bucks on the Barracuda that I needed to and didn't cut as many corners as I have with this Duster. The Duster is more of an example of trying to spruce things up without spending $$.

View attachment IMG_3875.jpg

View attachment IMG_3876.jpg

View attachment IMG_3877.jpg

View attachment IMG_3878.jpg

Last edited:
One thing that I neglected to say about that Dupli-Color METALCAST paint is that they sell a spray on finish that is supposed to promote adhesion. I didn't buy it or use it. That may have been a mistake. I noticed that one of the spots that I put masking tape over pulled the paint off. With my luck I'll probably end up stripping it all off and have to start over. I thought I'd save myself a few bucks but it may end up costing me more to learn the lesson.

dcdriver, - Is that white '71 Scamp the car you're going to be working on? It looks damn nice already. I'm liking the white. It looks SO clean. - Of course if it was me I'd be sticking some big and littles on it, - but that's just me.

I worked on the air box setup. By notching the rear of the pan I was able to get it to rest on the cowl. This left the pan sitting at an angle that I was going to have to solve. Either I was going to have to raise the spacer that sat above the carburetor or lower the back of my air cleaner base. I liked the way it sat otherwise.

After scoping it out I realized I might have a third option. If I was to make the bottom of the pan conform to the top of the carb. After cutting the opening I formed it down so they would mate with one another.

img_3882-jpg.jpg

img_3883-jpg.jpg

img_3884-jpg.jpg

I wanted to offset the air cleaner further back rather than center it above the carburetor. Most likely I will hold the pan down via the normal air cleaner stud. I'll install a second stud further back that will tie the air cleaner down. I still need to modify the air cleaner base so that it's opening aligns with the carb and the pan.

img_3880-jpg.jpg

img_3881-jpg.jpg

img_3885-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_3882.jpg

View attachment IMG_3883.jpg

View attachment IMG_3884.jpg

View attachment IMG_3880.jpg

View attachment IMG_3881.jpg

View attachment IMG_3885.jpg

Last edited:
I worked on the air box setup. By notching the rear of the pan I was able to get it to rest on the cowl. This left the pan sitting at an angle that I was going to have to solve. Either I was going to have to raise the spacer that sat above the carburetor or lower the back of my air cleaner base. I liked the way it sat otherwise.

After scoping it out I realized I might have a third option. If I was to make the bottom of the pan conform to the top of the carb. After cutting the opening I formed it down so they would mate with one another.

View attachment 1714769450

View attachment 1714769451

View attachment 1714769452

I wanted to offset the air cleaner further back rather than center it above the carburetor. Most likely I will hold the pan down via the normal air cleaner stud. I'll install a second stud further back that will tie the air cleaner down. I still need to modify the air cleaner base so that it's opening aligns with the carb and the pan.

View attachment 1714769453

View attachment 1714769454

View attachment 1714769455
you got some kick *** machinery--------------------------------------------------
interesting cold air setup. I`ve been trying to find an 1/8" thick piece of fiberglass to glass to the bottom of my hood, so I then could cut a hole in it to fit the round foam rubber seal, that I glued on the plate that I attached to the air cleaner base. also had to use an offset air cleaner to center the filter up to the scoop and get it away from my wiper motor. 14x4" element w/ a flat top clears the 6 pack scoop by about 3/4". Hell of a deal! don`t know where I`m going to find the 1/8" fiberglsass tho, anyone got any suggestions?------

you got some kick *** machinery--------------------------------------------------
interesting cold air setup. I`ve been trying to find an 1/8" thick piece of fiberglass to glass to the bottom of my hood, so I then could cut a hole in it to fit the round foam rubber seal, that I glued on the plate that I attached to the air cleaner base. also had to use an offset air cleaner to center the filter up to the scoop and get it away from my wiper motor. 14x4" element w/ a flat top clears the 6 pack scoop by about 3/4". Hell of a deal! don`t know where I`m going to find the 1/8" fiberglsass tho, anyone got any suggestions?------

Just make your own. Buy the glass cloth and lay it out on something covered with wax paper. Mix up some resin and roll it on. Repeat until you have the thickness you want. We do it all the time. :cheers:

When I was a teenager the first album I ever bought was Steppenwolf's Greatest Hits. It still ranks as one of my all time favorites. Last night I ran it in a loop on my computer as I worked. Now I can't seem to get HIPPO STOMP out of my head.

I picked up another drill and some rivets this morning. I should be able to get most of that engine compartment done now.

After reading the messages from famous bob and SNKEBIT I'm starting to consider making the carb pan out of fiberglass. I'd be able to make it more rounded or maybe wedge shaped. I don't dislike what I've got started but it's just a basic rectangular box. The aluminum set me back about $20 for the piece I used and if I'd screwed it up I'd have been out that money. The fiberglass could be done cheaper and modified in a more seamless fashion. I'd already bought a bunch of mat and resin to use on the funnycar body so I've got it on hand.

Last edited:
I guess that ADHD isn't my only problem. I need to learn how to count. I thought I had plenty of rivets but I'm short by around 50. The panel work is very close to being finished. I need to button down the rest of the front yet.

img_3898-jpg.jpg

img_3905-jpg.jpg

img_3906-jpg.jpg

I think that I've left enough gap between the headers and the panels to prevent them from getting too hot.

img_3909-jpg.jpg

img_3912-jpg.jpg

I need to take some pictures outside in the daylight. All of this gold looks good in person but really gaudy in the pictures. Believe me, - in good light it doesn't look as pimp. One thing is certain. The engine compartment is a lot brighter than it was before. When I compare the before and after pictures, - the original ones look like they were taken in black and white.

131959_669012786450928_331985829_o-jpg.jpg

img_3893-jpg.jpg

The car has changed a lot cosmetically.

1077656_666974099988130_339960912_o-jpg.jpg

img_3722-jpg.jpg

Every time I get close to finishing one aspect of the Duster I start to think of other things I should do. I'd like to detail the trunk.

1120073_666974103321463_981060373_o-jpg.jpg

but

View attachment 131959_669012786450928_331985829_o.jpg

View attachment IMG_3893.jpg

View attachment 1077656_666974099988130_339960912_o.jpg

View attachment IMG_3722.jpg

View attachment 1120073_666974103321463_981060373_o.jpg

View attachment IMG_3898.jpg

View attachment IMG_3905.jpg

View attachment IMG_3906.jpg

View attachment IMG_3909.jpg

View attachment IMG_3912.jpg

Last edited:
I finally was able to get the speedometer cable off. It wasn't hard once I gained access from the passenger side.

img_3919-jpg.jpg

The only gauges that function are the speedometer and the alternator. At the very least it needs to get dressed up. I'm considering chucking it and moving the Auto Meter oil pressure and water temperature gauges up there.

img_3921-jpg.jpg

img_3927-jpg.jpg

I've had a new Stewart Warner 160 speedometer sitting around. - Well it was new 35 years ago when I bought it. It wouldn't be a perfect match with the other gauges but it's already here.

img_3923-jpg.jpg

I'm not certain but I think I would need this adapter to connect it. What sucks is that JEGS wants $43.99 for it.

img_3925-jpg.jpg

img_3924-jpg.jpg

390-9871-jpg.jpg

While I was cleaning things up I decided that I didn't care for the look of the white extinguisher inside. I sanded the paint off, polished it, and shot some of the tint on it.

img_3916-jpg.jpg

img_3918-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_3919.jpg

View attachment IMG_3921.jpg

View attachment IMG_3923.jpg

View attachment IMG_3925.jpg

View attachment IMG_3924.jpg

View attachment 390-9871.jpg

View attachment IMG_3916.jpg

View attachment IMG_3918.jpg

View attachment IMG_3927.jpg

Last edited:
I have been lurking and enjoying this Crop Duster :coffee2: Lovein it :glasses7:
Can't wait to see how the Stove Bright does, It sure sounds like the way to go from the threads I have been reading :) Thank you for a great build and keeping us filled with eye candy :cheers: Wow! It sure has changed in the looks department :color:

Looking great,'67! That is a HUGE difference, just from details. A lot of people,forget that.

I have been lurking and enjoying this Crop Duster :coffee2: Lovein it :glasses7:
Can't wait to see how the Stove Bright does, It sure sounds like the way to go from the threads I have been reading :) Thank you for a great build and keeping us filled with eye candy :cheers: Wow! It sure has changed in the looks department :color:

I thought that the stove paint would be cheaper than header paint. - But a lot of places were asking around $30 per can and some were higher yet. The best price I found was from Ye Olde Chimney Sweep -Bloomington Indiana's first chimney sweep!. They were $12.99 per can (plus shipping).

If it holds up well I'll never buy VHT again. It didn't scratch, smudge, or pick up dirt as easily as the VHT did when I installed the headers.

Thanks for the kind words memike. I get to feeling sheepish when I compare some of my cars to others on the site. I know that there are varying degrees of talent here and even the best cars will have flaws. But I like the Duster project because it's the type of thing that I can really play with. Common sense, being practical, good taste, and spotless detailing are all thrown out the window. The concept is to have fun.

When I think back to that old fuel altered I'd bought years ago I recall both how cool it looked (metalflake purple, the Hemi with 6 Strombergs, the 12 spokes, etc...) and how crude it was. From the cheap seats it probably wowed the crowd but it must have been one spooky ride. - No floor, short wheelbase, with a propensity for exploding transmissions and rear ends.

The CROP DUSTER is a tame ride compared to it and it's a lot safer. - But I still want it to invoke the memory of the early days of racing. The big bucks were already put into the car before I bought it. A lot of things could have been done better but the basics are there.

I love black cars. The motivation behind the additions wasn't because I disliked the color. It was based on my desire to re-create those psychedelic 70s. And I really have had fun toying around with wild header colors, the graphics, etc...

Last edited:
Looking great,'67! That is a HUGE difference, just from details. A lot of people,forget that.

Abodybomber, your encouragement makes me realize you're probably as nuts as I am. Maybe it partly explains why we were drawn to the Mopar muscle cars. I'm convinced that several of their engineers were a cog or two off themselves. Some of them must have been fun to party with.

Last edited:
Abodybomber, your encouragement makes me realize you're probably as nuts as I am. Maybe it partly explains why we were drawn to the Mopar muscle cars. I'm convinced that several of their engineers were a cog or two off themselves. Some of them must have been fun to party with. on a personal
I just loved the pictures, of the overall effect.(Yes ,I like Steppenwolf.New song ,to me...). Dammit.!!!! ...another album to find! (lol.....)
In serious: Whatever attracts me, Detroit muscle......

-
Back