Another newbie, but from New Hampshire

-

bobg450

Reaction score
Had the high bid on a "67 Dart GTS last Saturday and hope to be bringing it home today or tomorrow. I'm happy to be back in an "A" body after decades. Bought a '70 Duster 340 (new) and always regretted letting it go.
The new A body is a "tribute" car, but it's looks and sounds got to me. It's a 383 torqueflite with an open 8 1/4 rear end(2.71:1 YUK) from a '71 V-8 Dart. That's the only downside on my new ride. Don't know if I should go the 8 3/4 route or stay with the 8 1/4 and find a 3.55 Sure Grip diff. The higher HP (than stock) '69 charger engine was just treated to a rebuild and a 3/4 cam, so it has the bigger (valves) heads. I'm waiting on more info from the previous owner/restorer.
The matching numbers, correct, restored Darts go for two or three times what I paid and I was looking for a strong, handsome driver I could have some fun with. I've already found a few small things that are part of what we all go through when we buy a new "toy", as my wife calls it. Now I've got to sell a few other toys to make some room (and money).
Sorry 'bout the long rant, but we're talking decades of pent up Mopar Muscle withdrawal here, but it's great to be back in an "A" body.

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

• IMG_0614.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0620.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0621.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0623.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0625.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 77
Thanks GTXman. Wow! 5 newbies today (and counting) 25 in the last week!
Glad I found this site! I'll work on the picks I took at the auction.

Welcome to FABO!
You might want to consider changing the cam to a full one so it will run on all 8 instead of 6.

Welcome to the Madness !! I'm doing a 68 GTS 383 car.

Welcome to FABO!
You might want to consider changing the cam to a full one so it will run on all 8 instead of 6.

Ha Ha! A friend asked if it had a cam. I told him of course, every car that runs has at least one.

OK, so, seriously- guess I'm showing my age. Here goes: a half race cam was hotter than stock, a full race cam was pretty much only good up near the redline RPM, so a 3/4 cam was a general term for a cam with lift, duration, and overlap some where between the 1/2 and full race cams.

Yes, welcome back, you win the Mr. Kotter award!! Always glad to hear great stories like this one, and looking forward to seeing this find you found!! Enjoy our humble site!! Geof

Thanks Geof! New pictures are in my first post. The previous owner did most of the hard work. The hood is from a '69 GTS, the dash from a '69 'Cuda. Better pics later. Thanks Again!

Hi,

Welcome from the Lakes Region. Looks like a very nice car!

Thanks Pete! This came from a Lakes Region Auction, actually in Effingham near Ossipee.
www.northcountry-auctions.com had their first annual car auction. It was like the Mecum and Barret-Jackson auctions- white gloved pushers and babble talking auctioneers. Lots of really great, nice cars were sold at, IMO, great prices. Thanks Again!

Welcome from Vermont! I saw the listing two late and I would've gone if I had the time... If you don't mind me asking.. how much did you get it for?

Welcome from the south shore. I always love going up to your area.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome! Going to pick up the GTS this AM- Uhaul trailer is on the truck in the driveway ready to go. Getting a ready-to-drive GTS has it's pros and cons. Can't take credit for all the work the PO did, but there are some finishing touches I can do. Just got outbid on a pair of callouts for the '69 hood inserts by one dollar. Bummer. But there is a new pair of very original looking exhaust tips coming, some bushings for the console shifter linkage, and a few other things. Then there's the issue with the open 8 1/4 diff. with the 2.73 gear set. Looking for a SG 3.55 setup, or an 8 3/4 conversion will be the way to go. It's not a matching #'s, correct, Pebble Beach car. I see a real resto project A body next, prolly a Duster.

Update: Spent yesterday transporting the Dart, going to the registry, getting the VIN numbers verified by the local PD, town hall, and insurance company. Then for the first real cruise. Fixed the throttle cable adjustment, it was not even letting the secondaries open. Set the transmission kickdown linkage that was backed off all the way. Those two things made a huge difference. With the 2.73 gears holding it back, it still pulled well on the highway. My (new) '70 duster 340 (3.23's) would pull 95 in second, 138 in "D". I'm guessing with these gears I'd get the same results cause this is not a 6000 RPM engine like the 340 was. I'm guessing 3.55 SG is what will really wake things up. Put about 100 miles of mixed driving on it and kept it in second most of the time except for the highway. The '69 Cuda Rallye dash is not working except for the speedo and amp gauge. Dash lights not working either. A loose ground wire on my Duster 340 caused some of the same symptoms 43 years ago. The factory ground stud on the PC board was stripped and I fixed it. Small oil leak around the rear main seal area. Gotta check that out and fix the dipstick tube that keeps pulling out of the block when I check the oil. The console shifter is sloppy and new bushings are on the way. It is currently off by one position, so "1" does not get you into first gear. A couple of other small things to keep me busy. Bought the correct callouts from Year One. All in all, no regrets on my new find! Got lots of thumps up and woohoo action yesterday! Mopar Muscle Rules!

Welcome to FABO! Beautiful looking Dart!! You'll find amazing people here with lots of knowledge!:)

working on my pictures- will post some more soon. OK, so much for my pics...............open them if you like! they are from a 1969 issue titled the six most dangerous Darts!
Spent a day under the back half of the Dart yesterday (tail shaft seal and exhaust) and today under the front 1/2. Fixed a couple of oil and one exhaust leak. Tightened up the steering box and put new plugs in it. Put a timing light on it last night, but it was not clear what's going on with the timing. The engine # is 2468130 with an "LL" and mfg date of 4/27/67. Anyone want to chime in and enlighten me with the info? Not hearing back from the PO and would like to know a little bit more about this car. Think I'll be going for an 8 and 1/4 3.55 Sure Grip in my 2.73 open diff. 8 and 1/4 housing. Also would appreciate any advice on the proportioning valve for the brakes. The rear brakes are doing all the work.
Thanks in Advance, Bob Gale

Attachments

• 20150716123811362.pdf
    981.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 20150716124552420.pdf
    510.2 KB · Views: 74
-
Back