Another rebuild question

-

towtruckmikey

Reaction score
So I will be getting ready to pull the /6 225 motor out of Scampie, and do a rebuild on it, since it is low on compression, and starting to leave its mark in the driveway.

To start I am trying to gathering most of the required parts I will be needing (did I mention my neighbor will be helping who is ASE certified) so besides the obvious: machine shop for the head work, gasket set, timing chain and gear set, etc...etc... can I bend some minds for anything I might need, or look out for during the process?

I will try to take pics. thru the process.

Last motor I did was 30 + years ago in high school auto shop.

Thanks fellow members

Arree you going to rebore with new pistons? With the low compression, it is likely to have bore wear. Is you ASE certified friend a real engine guy? It would help to know the level of expertise of both of you to know where to start in advising.

Since you are doing a complete rebuild, anyway, I would get the compression ratio up to a minimum of 9-1. Can be done with either pistons, mill head, mill deck of block, or any combination. Depending on the use of the vehicle, and what cam, you can go higher.

Thanks for the response guys, my neighbor has done 2 separate Ford builds in his garage alone in his spare time as well as working in a shop full time, doing general repair and diagnostic. I have done little older Datsun and VW rebuilds myself.....That was a long time ago though.

Guess I should have mentioned that we will be putting in new bearings, pistons, and rings in, the head will be done by a outside shop with new springs, guides, resurface.... I plan on checking the cam lobes to see if the cam needs to be replaced, but otherwise I will probably be using all stock stuff since this car will be going to my son in 2 years when he gets his license.

Pay attention to the factory spec's,use your knowledge. You said "Datsun",simple as it gets.Hardened exhaust seats,depending on exhaust valve seats,upon disassemble. For one of the few times in my life,"leave it stock"....

I'd send the cam to Oregon Cam - they can provide just about any grind from mild to wild.

True, but he said he is staying stock(ish). You can pick up a stock 225 cam for next to almost nothing.

Stock build for mpg would be something like this

stock head with 1.7" intake valves
Port match and bowl blending on both int and exh
Hardened exh seats
New guides and cut for positive lock seals
Clean up cut on BOTH intake and deck faces

speedpro pistons (summitracing) are 12 bucks each for up to .080 over
total seal rings
new bearings
Deck block for proper compression (start at .100 and probably end up near the .130 area) 9.0-9.3:1 compression runs on pump regular
reuse the old oil pump after inspection/franks blueprinted pump
OCG regrind in the 208-215* @ .050 with max lift on a 110LSA
JP/Rollermaster timing set and DEGREE IN THE CAM
Replace or rebuild stock balancer

-
Back