antifreeze comming out of driver side back header bolt?

-

340plot

the bushy bush
Reaction score
i started the car and let it run for a little bit, to find out that there is antifreeze dripping pretty good out of the back header bolt on the driver side.
is there anything i can do?????????????????? i do not want to have to take headers out. please someone shed some light on this problem

Take out the bolt and put sealant on it, the other side rear one, and the 2 front ones.

Take out the bolt and put sealant on it, the other side rear one, and the 2 front ones.

Absolutely correct! The front and rear exhaust bolts/studs on both sides screw into water jackets and must be sealed. I've sealed them with silicone and pipe thread sealer. I've never heard what is correct. I'll look it up.

I have used lots of teflon tape. Once a combo of lots of sealer and tape. If the threads are semi shot, a next size up tap and bolt can be tried, a metric bolt may be of use here or a heli coil is an easy to do fix but will require the header to be unbolted and held out of the way.

Just be ready for alot of water or coolant to come out when you pull the studs or bolts. It makes a pretty good mess if your not ready for it.

teflon plumbers pipe dope available from lowes or home depot commonly called thread paste

Now you tell me:):) I didn't think that far ahead when mine started leaking. I used the "oh sh** where's the wifes good baking pan":):)

This must only be a problem on LA heads, because it has never happened on any of my mag motors.

-
Back