Any Advantage to Having a Dual Point Distributor for Daily Driver?

-
Yeah I know all that part, but what dwell spec am I aiming for total? I assumed the same total as the single points, but chit if I know.
40-45? On a slant....273-4 was 28-33

With the 6's 60 degree lobes compares to the 8's 45 degree of seperation, you dont need a dual point on a 6 as the dwell time is already huge. Unless your after that nostalgia look. you could just defeat the 2nd set of points and still run 45 degrees dwell or like you said run them very small to reduce any point bounce at 9000 RPM and have them extend it to 40-45 spec.

Last edited:
I'll look up 273 specs.
V8 and slants are different...........

the other issue you need to pay attention to is rotor phasing. Since you are modifying a single point, you are "messin" with phasing both from vacuum and cetrifugal advance point of view

Yeah I know all that part, but what dwell spec am I aiming for total? I assumed the same total as the single points, but chit if I know.

On a 273, block first set of points, and set the second set of points to .014-.019 gap (dwell should be 27-32 degrees). Block second set of points and unblock first set of points and set the same as the second set before. Then unblock both sets of points and the dwell should be 37-42 degrees. May be try setting /6 to factory setting of .017-.023 inch gap and 40-45 degrees dwell for each set of points. Not sure of the total dwell would be. You might have to play a bit. V8 single points run the same gap as dual points and dwell as each dual point set. spring pressures look to be all but identical between all the point sets, single (V8 and /6), 17 -20 oz and dual, 17-21.5 oz. Good luck. see above posting for caution about phasing.

4 lobes were more accurate at high RPMs . each set controlled 4 cylinders. Opened and closed half the times as 8 lobes . less point float.

4 lobes were more accurate at high RPMs . each set controlled 4 cylinders. Opened and closed half the times as 8 lobes . less point float.
Well, LOL yes and no, because if one set got "out" a little bit, one set of 4 was out of time with the other 4. One of my favorite things to ***** about is the old "Du coil" setup. Goawd what a huge, uh, "thing"

ducoil-6-jpg.jpg

ducoil-5-jpg.jpg

ducoil-3-jpg.jpg

ducoil-7-jpg.jpg

-
Back