Any idea how to get fittings out of aluminum intake?

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
I am throwing an old Performer intake and carb on my Ramcharger. I have to move the nipple for the heater hose and need to remove it and a plug, neither of which will turn. I've soaked them in penetrating oil, tried extending the wrench for more leverage, and against my better judgement I used a 3/8" electric impact. None of that budged them. I even tried my 3/8" air impact and it didn't do anything either. Anyone have any good suggestions? I borrowed my torches to my brother a few weeks ago so I don't have access to heat.

View attachment ForumRunner_20140727_105850.jpg

if the fitings are that tight, you best wait for some heat. a few heat cycles should do the trick. do not use too much force, as you will pull the threads on aluminum.
be sure to use antiseize on all new fitings

Yeh, I'd think even a common "prop - pane torch and prop - pane acessories" would bust that loose.............

hank-propane.jpg

I'd put a box end wrench on it and use a big hammer , hitting it lightly letting the weight work for you.

Hold the intake on it's side so the blow will be going down , preferably with some one holding the intake and you holding the wrench and hammer

warm it up a few times and cool it with COLD water this should break the corrosion weld and don't reef on it when its hot

Zep Preserve,
I've yet to use this on anything it didn't make come loose with ease, even broken exhaust studs in aluminum heads!!!
20140727_151030.jpeg

Have you tried tightening the fittings first? Pipe thread is tapered and tightening them first usually breaks them loose.

Heat the fitting, not the intake. Then quickly cool the fitting, with water. It should easly come loose.

Heat the fitting, not the intake. Then quickly cool the fitting, with water. It should easly come loose.

that works sometimes.

You can also put the intake in the oven and heat it for a while to help loosen things up.

Use oven mitts when removing.... #-o

You could always drill them out. Once the fitting is thin enough, it will basically collapse and the remnants can usually be easily removed. In any event, you'll probably need to clean up the threads, so make sure you have a couple correct size NPT taps available.

You could always drill them out. Once the fitting is thin enough, it will basically collapse and the remnants can usually be easily removed. In any event, you'll probably need to clean up the threads, so make sure you have a couple correct size NPT taps available.

if it`s 3/8", you could always take it out to 1/2" if u mess the threads up !

Silly question, Have you tried a pipe wrench ? The work thus far, penetrant and jarring from imparts, probably have helped. You would need the intake rigidly fastened down in some manner. Try a pipe wrench first on the hose nipple with as much helper on its handle as available. If it backs out drill a hole through hole the plug about the size of the hex and try the pipe wrench on it. There aint much of the plug to hook a pipe wrench on but if it turns at all you can get a better bite.

If you do end up taking a pipe wrench to that nipple,,.. put an appropriate sized bolt into the hole of the nipple,, so it doesn't collapse the fitting, you'll also get a better bite on it, and it's often re-useable after removal..

This works on dipstick tube removal, etc as well

Can you get a deep socket on it,, with a breaker bar?

hope it helps

I forgot to bring it with me today to use the torch. I've been soaking it with PB Blaster all weekend. I've used my impact tightening and loosening off and on all Sunday. I tried cheater bars to lengthen the wrench. Slippage is not a problem, so I don't see the advantage of a pipe wrench, other than the bigger bite. Tonight I am going to try propane on the nipple. Those sob's are coming out!

I forgot to bring it with me today to use the torch. I've been soaking it with PB Blaster all weekend. I've used my impact tightening and loosening off and on all Sunday. I tried cheater bars to lengthen the wrench. Slippage is not a problem, so I don't see the advantage of a pipe wrench, other than the bigger bite. Tonight I am going to try propane on the nipple. Those sob's are coming out!

Use propane (and propane accessories) on the base metal for the nipple, bring some ice cubes to cool the nipple without the water falling on the intake (tilt it over). Then CRANK IT UP with the cheater bars!!! :twisted:

Either the nipple will come out. :cheers:

The intake will break.... :tool:

Or you will break.... :pale:

I had a brass jet in a carb that refused to budge, the screwdriver slot was all but gone. Took a can of tuner cleaner & turned it upside down to "frost" the jet. A pencil eraser then easily turned the jet...

The whole cpncept of the pipe wrench it to semi crush the fitting creating a void between id and od . The floating jaw get tighter with centrifugal force. But anyway...
Good luck with it.

anothe case for anti-seize on anything going in to alum!

Couldn't agree more. High temp Permatex works really well, too. As long as there's something in between the fitting and intake.

-
Back