Any ideas on rear shocks?

-

BarracudaBug

Reaction score
Just a quickie question, in case by chance someone has already figured this out. I have a 67 Barracuda body and a 8 1/4 78? Dodge Aspen rear end. Any ideas on cheap shocks? I'm trying to avoid more "modifications" or expensive custom ordered shocks.

What spring setup do you have on your rear end? Did you convert it over to regular spring perches or is it still running the rubber isolator setup that came with the F body? I only ask because I had an F body rear in my 67 Dart when I bought it and they left the isolator setup. The shocks didn't fit right and I think they were binding pretty bad on hard bumps. I made my own lower shock mounts for the time being so I could run a 67 style shock with the isolator setup. Just had to weld on two little pieces of angle iron and some bolts. I could try to grab some pictures if you would like.

Yeah, I still have the rubber isolator deal. Pictures would be great! I would really appreciate it! ;) I feel like I'm driving blind with this project. I unfortunately have started a few modifying projects on this car at once. If you can send me those pictures, that would settle the shock problem for now. After that, I have to finish my junk yard disc brake conversion. *sigh* ....unless you did that too. :)

Haha, I wish, I'm settling for drums on the back for now, just don't have the money or the will to really mess with something. I'm really not a welder or anything because my little flux wire welder is pretty junky. I really needed to do the shock mounts though and figured I would give it a shot. So far they seem to be holding up well, I'll try to grab some pictures later tonight. It was really pretty easy, just need some angle iron. I made my own lower shock mounts with bolts and spacers, but you could probably just buy a lower shock mount bolt and put it in.

Here's what I came up with for now. Hopefully the pictures aren't too bad or hard to make out. I just welded a piece of angle iron at the very bottom corner of the stock isolator box setup. The angle iron piece is probably about 1.5 to 2 inches long. For the mount bolt I think I used a 5/8" bolt with a sleeve over it that the shock mounts on. Unfortunately the sleeve doesn't fit as tight as I wanted, so I wrapped an innertube around the bolt and jammed the sleeve over it. The local parts store sells shock mount bolts (as well as Mancini, but I think the Mancini ones were pretty pricey), so that would probably be the easier route. The only other thing I did was take the top plate of the isolator setup and swap sides so that the original bayonet style mount was on the front of the new setup so it wouldn't get in the way of the new shocks.

Attachments

• IMAG0134.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 103
  • IMAG0135.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMAG0136.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 111
-
Back