Any one try this ( Mopar 318 Engine - Cheap As Dirt )

-
I'm betting it probably would feel a bit soggy on the bottom end without appropriate gearing and stall...

Sure would be nice to read just one teen thread, without all the ditch it for a 360 comments.

Sure would be nice to read just one teen thread, without all the ditch it for a 360 comments.
It would also be nice if a much smaller engine had as much torque down low as the larger one does, but they don't. MOST street combos need more torque, not more top end.. Simple. Core 360s are almost as plentifull as 318s, machine work costs the same on both, parts are similar...just no reason to build a teen....

Sure there is. Some of us just want to. I have both a teen and 360, and plan to build both. My teen is a cop motor, so already has 360 heads.

When the time comes that my teen is done. If I find a 360 for reasonable I'll build a 360, otherwise I'll build the teen. 40 cubes one way or the other isn't a huge deal for run of the mill street use.

40 cubes means little until it's done by making the stroke longer. I've street raced and drag raced 318s, 340s, and 360s, in addition to big and bigger small blocks. Stroke is king. The 318 and 340 are virtually a dead heat. but stick another 1/4" of stroke in there, built it identically to either of those, and it will outrun both of them. The only way to keep the playing field level is to keep the strokes of the engines you're comparing the same.

It would also be nice if a much smaller engine had as much torque down low as the larger one does, but they don't. MOST street combos need more torque, not more top end.. Simple. Core 360s are almost as plentifull as 318s, machine work costs the same on both, parts are similar...just no reason to build a teen....

Sure there is. And I think you missed it! He alllllready has the 318.
It's easy to sit behind the key board and spend someone else's money.
"Sure! Get yerself a 360 @ *** amount and then Go from there!"
Why not? It ain't your money! If he wants to do a 318, help him instead of trashing the engine and choice.

I will not argue bigger is better, at what point is it really worth it all for it? The limits change per person and the goal sought.

The thing to take away from that article is how good our Mopars are. Valve train good to 6,500, strong blocks, high flowing heads, strong cranks and forged rods. That 318 does not sound like much like a street engine though. I've had a 273 in a 4 speed 64 Barracuda since I was 19. Had them all. Only engines I kept were 273's, 340's and the 383 for the 68 Cuda. My Barracuda would run with a stock 383 road runner, would run up to 140 mph, and pull down mid to high 20's mpg on the highway... It was my daily driver. If you can do that with a 273 you can easily do it with a 318. I don't understand why we feel the need to give someone grief about building a 318. All small blocks will pull fine on the street. The 360 is my least favorite of the small blocks, Probably because it is externally ballanced. Used to build 360's all the time for other people. Sorry, end of rant...

Was your rant for or against the 318?

The main difference between the 4 small blocks is bore size since most other parts can be made to swap
273 bore is way undersized and 340-360 are pretty close to each other leaving the 318 bore thats 0.090"-0.130" smaller but the effect on head flow is the real question I've have yet to find flow numbers for 318 bore, since like moper said if they were all built with the same crank they would be more comparable to one another cause they be a few cubic inches from one another. But as is 360 vs 318 should be able to build similar performing engines as along as you add more gear and stall for the 318 compared to similar built 360.

360 are not better than 340 and not even close really..sure you can build them to be one hell of a mill but throw enough money at anything and it will be fast

Sure there is. And I think you missed it! He alllllready has the 318.
It's easy to sit behind the key board and spend someone else's money.
"Sure! Get yerself a 360 @ *** amount and then Go from there!"
Why not? It ain't your money! If he wants to do a 318, help him instead of trashing the engine and choice.

I will not argue bigger is better, at what point is it really worth it all for it? The limits change per person and the goal sought.
Ok, then, I have no problem with a 318 build, I have built plenty of them myself. And nowhere did I "trash" a 318, its just not the best street choice in my opinion, considering he will need to buy heads, or spend coin to make them flow enough for his power goal... and still make LESS torque than a 360 built in the same fashion. But I bet at the end of the day, its gonna cost LESS to build a 300-350 horse 360 than the 318... and then we got to talking about 400 HP magazine builds... the 318 at that power level is going to cost more, period.. Now, really he said at first he didn't even want the car to be fast, he just wanted a cruiser, so I would just run the 2 barrel 318 and be done, in that case

I like the build and for some one building a LA 318 for the street it is a must read

isnt there stroker kits for the 318? i have a 74 model teen im thinknig of just doing a quick freshen up on and running as is for awhile. nothing serious, mild performance cam, 4BBL manifold, stock rebuild of long block, 68 model 340 exhaust manifolds. this is to get me down the road while i build up something better. torn between a stroked teen, and a 360. i have the teen, so i was thinking i may as well go with it.

It would also be nice if a much smaller engine had as much torque down low as the larger one does, but they don't. MOST street combos need more torque, not more top end.. Simple. Conk when re 360s are almost as plentiful as 318s, machine work costs the same on both, parts are similar...just no reason to build a teen....

I bought a 74 Dart for the disc brake swap to my 65 Barracuda....discovered it had a frisky low mileage 318 w/headers. Sounded much better than my tired 273.

Upon opening trunk when brought home, discovered an Edelbrock Performer intake stashed inside.

Decided 318 was going in Fish.

I bought a 74 Dart for the disc brake swap to my 65 Barracuda....discovered it had a frisky low mileage 318 w/headers. Sounded much better than my tired 273.

Upon opening trunk when brought home, discovered an Edelbrock Performer intake stashed inside.

Decided 318 was going in Fish.
Um......... ok, good find for you!

For, Since in my opinion they are all good, why trounce someone if he or she wants to build any small block. He did not ask "should I build a 318 or 360?". Why answer a question that was not asked?
You guys are hilarious..... FIRST of all this is called a "discussion" as the ORIGINAL post was just commenting on a magazine buildup. What follows after that is the pros/cons of it. Please post where someone was "trounced" if you will kind sir....

Is filmed trounces earlier, though I also quoted 66. He defended the position a d to a degree as if I singled him out in which I can see it that way since I quoted him. I also should have included a sentence directed towards everyone else.

My bad, sorry fellas.

Instill stand by the idea of build what ya got. A d will not restate the reason here (yet) again.

You guys are hilarious..... FIRST of all this is called a "discussion" as the ORIGINAL post was just commenting on a magazine buildup. What follows after that is the pros/cons of it. Please post where someone was "trounced" if you will kind sir....

Sorry, In this forum, it seems that whenever a 318 build is mentioned, the automatic response is "build a 360". 1st reply on this thread, I might add. Not really a much of discussion of the content of the article or 318's, although a few people tried. The article merely showed the potential of an almost stock rebuild with what used to be standard upgrades and a larger Cam. I found it interesting. 360 heads, a good intake, any stock 340 or 360 will do, and a camshaft with matching valvesprings will make any 318 very enjoyable on the street. This isn't the racing forum, is it? Simply choosing a 360 over a 318 may be well and good for a Racer with time, money, knowledge and experience at your command. A 360, as we know, does not fit exactly where a 318 once resided. Flexplate/torque converter, passenger side motor mount, exhaust manifolds let alone trans and rear that will need replacing at 360 torque levels. I am merely weary of "everything is worthless unless it is a 360"... I'm glad I could amuse you...

Who cares what motor !!!
Build it,throw it in the car,and light em up !!!

I decided to keep the teen, over 2 360 engines, one spec'd taper for a hone job and re-ring.

I spent more money boring the 318, but I wanted it, because I'm a firm believer in only using what you need, for what you are doing with the car. The rest is not just a waste of money and time, but will continue to be for the rest of the duration it's used.

IMHO, for anybody using a small block for cruising and minimal race, just build the car for what you will be doing what you use the vehicle for, the most.

Stay away from high overlap/ duration cams and build a 318 with a cam for a ton of torque and be happy with how it drives on the street.

If you want speed, grab a converter, a big cam, some gears, balance it and shoot the moon.

360s are great, but I honestly think they do better in heavier vehicles. That is truly where the cubes in it's bore and stroke are most noticeable on the street. Racing is a cube$ game.

-
Back