Any one try this ( Mopar 318 Engine - Cheap As Dirt )

-
Frankly I'm not sure I "get the point." If you are gonna go for cheap, and go for 360 factory heads, you might as well START with a 360 core and put the very same money into that as they did this 318.

frankly i'm not sure i "get the point." if you are gonna go for cheap, and go for 360 factory heads, you might as well start with a 360 core and put the very same money into that as they did this 318.
x2

interesting read, makes me wonder about doing that with the 360 that is already in my 69 barracuda instead of going to a 440 (which I have sitting on the engine stand) OK, done wondering, I think the 440 won! LOL

Wow that was a hard decision. ?.LOL:-#:

UOTE=69B-Cuda;1970121358]interesting read, makes me wonder about doing that with the 360 that is already in my 69 barracuda instead of going to a 440 (which I have sitting on the engine stand) OK, done wondering, I think the 440 won! LOL[/QUOTE]

I think the point is that 318's are still REAL CHEEP, 360's are getting spendy; yes they can be had cheep also but not like they once were; gettn' like 340's. 318's are still being thrown away, take them for free just to get them out of the way.

It's a low buck build, it makes power, and when you tell the chebby guy you beat him with a "teen"!!!! It's way more satisfying!! It's also saying that you don't HAVE TO HAVE a 340, or 360 for that matter, to make respectable power.

Build what you've got, and stop day dreaming.

OK, but the key to that build is a set of 360 heads. Sometimes, it's as easy and nearly as cheap to find a 360 core as it is a set of heads. And THEN you might have to put more money into refurbing those 360 heads.

Now I'm a big example of "run what ya brung." I've pretty much done that through my life. So much of a build like this would depend on what you "have"

Frankly I'm not sure I "get the point." If you are gonna go for cheap, and go for 360 factory heads, you might as well START with a 360 core and put the very same money into that as they did this 318.

The problem here is you'll have to go out a d get a 360 which is an added expense. The OP is simply going to use what he has.
What's wrong with that? IDK. But I'm sure you'll come up with a gaggle plus reasons that make sense.

It seems to be a crime doing up a 318 or the engine you all ready have. If we follow your line of thinking, bigger is better, then why in the hell didn't you suggest a 640 mountain engine. It could be argued on the same level you or anybody else puts forth.

I am so sick of Steve Dulcich.

Please! By all means, step up to the plate and replace him!
I look forward to your write ups.

The problem here is you'll have to go out a d get a 360 which is an added expense. The OP is simply going to use what he has.
What's wrong with that? IDK. But I'm sure you'll come up with a gaggle plus reasons that make sense.

It seems to be a crime doing up a 318 or the engine you all ready have. If we follow your line of thinking, bigger is better, then why in the hell didn't you suggest a 640 mountain engine. It could be argued on the same level you or anybody else puts forth..

Guess you didn't bother to read my last post. Nor the first one. This isn't "what you have" if you don't have any 360 heads. I never said a word about bigger is better, And as I said often you can buy a 360 core for about the same as a set of 360 heads. I'm merely pointing out that this might not be the ?only? cheap low budget option.

"Gaggle of reasons?" For your information, the present engine in the old Dart, while the 360 waits, is a used 318, old cam, aluminum intake, and EFI all bought used. I'm no stranger to "cheap."

I sense anger. WTF, over?

That would be a great re-build for my 86 cop engine.
318 with 360 head.
If it ever dies, I'll try it an let you know.
But I'm thinking the engine will outlast me.
I wonder if it would trash my lock up transmission/torque converter.
I've heard they can't take a lot of power.

Cheap to me is under $800 bucks(I call them High School rebuilds) for a complete rebuild for any small block.And starting with something for free is always better.You have to take articles like this with a "grain of salt". The magazine writers(alot are personal friends) are used to engine builds that cost $6000 as being cheap.
No offense to anyone.I like the late 80's 318 that have roller cams for a good starting point.The cost of this one was free and went in to my daily driver pickup.As with any engine HorsePower cost $$$.Just a thought .

Attachments

• Copy of 88truck_4.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 961
  • Copy of 88truck_2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 985
  • Copy of 88truck_1.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 956
To the nay sayers:
Looks like a nice write up,with a sweet teen making over 400 ponies.
What's the issue ?

Sorry there buddy, my all so very bad!
I just went on the one line.

Let's see; choice between a 360 and a 318 cop car motor. Charge for either is the same at my local Pik 'n Pull. I'll take the 360. Personally, the 318 I put in the Demon was free, so that tilts the choice the other way.

I see engine size as more of a powerband selector 318,340,360,408 all pretty much have the same power potential for street and street&strip engines its just where do you want to make the power but yes a 360 makes more sense in most cases but sense mattered no one would build anything Less than a 440.

Using that line of thinking, why not a 440?

Folks are finally realizing the 360 is actually better than a 340, just doesn't have the nostalgic positive stigma---like a 327 vs a 350.

I likes me a sweet running 318, though.

You'd think from a crowd that pretty much lives in an underdog mindset world, that the 318 would be placed on a slightly larger pedastal.

Folks are finally realizing the 360 is actually better than a 340, just doesn't have the nostalgic positive stigma---like a 327 vs a 350.

I wouldn't agree that 360 is better than 340 since all the parts basically can be used on either engine bore size is the ultimate limit on power, but for the average engine the difference is minor.

Find a 340 for the same (or even twice the) cost as a 360.

So you're not one of those "20 cubic inches more displacement means more power period" guys?

Using that line of thinking, why not a 440?

How is "that line of thinking" leading towards a 440?

I'm assuming the car is already set up for a SB so not much foul there, and this whole thing is "assuming" that "EYE" found a 360 cheap "while out looking" for heads.

I don't know why some of you are fixating on this. I'm just trynna point out that it might not be all that "cheap" by the time you've picked up a different set of heads, which is a big part of that article.

The other thing 'you might get lucky.' You might find a 360 that doesn't need to be re-ringed, or one that rings are all it needs. With the 318 project, you're pretty much locked into a set of pistons and rebore, one way't other

And 273 _____360, is a hell of a long way from doing a B/RB conversion

Using the bigger engine I mean.

This looks like the big brother to what I built on the top end.

A little more flow and I'd end up with this build. I like the idea of keeping a 318 in something.

What I really like this build for is to mess with the numbers people. Playing with a '72 Dart Swinger that is all numbers matching with a 4bbl and headers would really make some people scratch their heads.

For what it's worth, I have 2 360 engines collecting dust. The 318 went in, and I had them all at my disposal for no cost. One of the 360s actually mics out taper candidate for a re-ring on stock bore. Color me disinterested. I wanted to see what the li'l bastard whipping boy of the Chrysler engine world could do.

I'm at a point with this, where I just don't need the cubes for what I'm doing.

-
Back