Any sanding headers tips?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
I am sanding my new Headman headers and repainting them because the paint was terrible! Man, what a job this is! I feel like I am making love to them!

Does anyone have any tips to make this an easier? I'm doing this by hand and it seems to take forever!

Also, when they are sanded do you have to get every bit of old paint off? There seems to be pits and things in the header that dont seem to want to come off.

Before I repaint these, what to I use to clean them off?

Thanks!

#1 recommendation.....bead blasting!
#2 Use scotch brite pads. If you get the big ones and cut them into strips you can do a tube in a "shoe shine" style.

Wipe 'em off with laquer thinner to get your oily paw prints off prior to the first coat.

Oh, if you go the Scotch-brite route you might want to back it up with a strip of rag so you don't pull the Scotch-brite apart.

Go get some plumbers emery cloth, it come in rolls and is about an 1 wide. Rip off a 12" piece and use that to sand it, just wrap around the tube and pull back and forth.

Bump. New Hooker 5901's,in the day. Paint stripped, the e-stat garbage coating off.Scotch -brited,for bite. Heated ,with a torch. 3 coats,VHT header paint. Fired the car. Shut down ,every five minutes,cooldown and bake time. Three cycles,and done. Yes the cam break in, survived.....

I glass bead them all the time for customers it take me about a 1 hour for a set of headers so it cost the customer 75-85 for the pair and they look like new metal so you can re-paint them with anything you like.

-
Back