Any Sport bike riders here?

-

hypermite

Reaction score
I've been wanting a bike for some time now, & with the economy still in the toilet, motorcycles aren't selling, so it's time to buy. Harleys & cruisers are not my thing, so bear with me. I've done a fair amount of research & I've narrowed my choice down to the Suzuki GSXR 600 & The Yamaha R6. Does anyone on the site have or had either of these bikes? Any good or negative feedback is appreciated. I'm not a complete beginner, I had a couple of bike years ago & I've ridden a several Sport bikes in years past.

I've ridden the gsxr600 it's a good bike and with it being super popular, it has A LOT of aftermarket support. Good power and the newer ones 2008+ have risen selections (sport, track, etc...).

I dealt in sport bikes and cruisers for about 10 years. You can't go wrong with any of the 600's, they all build great bikes. You can get in trouble real fast with 100+hp and 400 lbs, most of the bikes I bought were crashed.....The GSXR600 and R6 are the most popular with the racers down here.

I've worked on bikes since '98 and I gotta say: Ride both if you can. The fit of each will be similar but different enough that one WILL be more comfortable for you.

Performance will be similar for both: more than you'll ever be able to effectively use.

The two will also be similar as far as reliability, cost of maintenance, and aftermarket parts availability. Yamaha has historically had 2nd gears that like to fail early but I do NOT follow them closely enough to know if that's still a problem. A visit to the Gixxer and R6 forums will answer any questions about endemic problems.

And I never saw any failures on the ZX6's, but ZX10's were really good at dropping motors. Honda's I've never cared for, but not for any specific reason.

Thanks guys, I've never cared for Honda's either. When I think Honda, I have visions of Civics & gas generators, lol. I'm leaning towards the GSXR.

My vote is a Suzuki, but a 750. I've owned 2 GSX-R750's, an '01 and '06, and both were awesome bikes at the time. Nibble as a 600 and close to the power of alot of 9's then. My '01 chassis dynoed within 2hp of a buddies 929Fireblade, he wasn't happy...lol. GSX-R had the factory steering dampener, not once did I ever experience a tank slapper. Like mentioned before, there is a butt load of HP to weight,,,,so be careful. I just hit 40 last year so my next bike is going to be a Harley, like a Road King Classic, for some nice cruising.
Enjoy the ride what ever you go with and watchout for the cagers when you do!

Had an older CBR600 F2. Was a 92. Best bike I have ever owned. 100k miles and never made me walk. No oil burnt, no leaks. And took a hammering. Close to 10 minutes at redline a few times. Sorry I ever got rid of it.....

I used to own a '98 Honda VFR800. Not as light and nimble as a 600, but more comfortable and the sound is awesome. It's not your typical sounding motor. It's like a little V8. I had a lot of people say that to me. The other plus is that they are know for being extremely reliable.

An 848 Ducati is an awesome bike! That's also an options but requires big boy money to own.

I just hit 40 last year so my next bike is going to be a Harley, like a Road King Classic, for some nice cruising.

Young man, I am turning FIFTY this month and just spent six months restoring this.

IMG_6694.jpg

I am now a Yamaha man, so I like the R6, but like said before, I think they are all pretty close together. Buy the one YOU like.

Ducati 1098/1198 S are awesome beast! Something about that dry clutch is just music to me ears.

750 or bigger....its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.i've had a few of each,and find the gsxr 750....any year,to be the best all around bike.

I run a z1000, I like the naked style and up right riding position. I have ridden both gsxr 600 and r6 and Id say the gsxr.

Young man, I am turning FIFTY this month and just spent six months restoring this.

IMG_6694.jpg

I am now a Yamaha man, so I like the R6, but like said before, I think they are all pretty close together. Buy the one YOU like.

I know,,,I'm still a "kid", but cruising down the freeway with the feet up on hiway pegs and hands hands hanging off a set of apes sounds way more appealing now then hunched over and my heels in my butt cheeks. I would have 1 of each after the lotto came in. Nice job on the restore.

OP,,,buy the one you like most, don't spend money on what other people like, even if the GSXR is the best hands down,,,lol.

Have you ever considered a scrambler? If you don't plan on flat out ears pinned back kind of riding then these are a great option. They handle just as good, if not better than some sportbikes, but are great on gas and way more comfortable. I have an 07 BMW G650 XCountry and love it. Great in the canyon and is actually fun and comfortable cruising through town. The best of both worlds.

I like my 99 Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird....I've had it since Jan '03....and it still keeps up with a 2012 Hyabusa 1300, and a 2012 ZX14R.....I have mates that have them and they were very surpised that I was still on their butts at 175+ mph......anyway....I like big bikes..............this is mine.

Attachments

• IMGP6503.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 142
Here's what I ride. It's a beast, but I love it. The shaft drive is clean and quiet. It's more comfortable than a sport bike and heavy enough that it doesn't beat you up on a long ride. But it still handles well in the twisties. 145 HP and gobs of torque. 0 to 60 in 2.8 seconds in first gear and top speed somewhere north of 150 although I will never get anywhere near that.

It comes with hard luggage that detaches with the ignition key and the bike looks great with or without it.

http://ssscheer.us/ARidersJournal/BikesRidden/YamahaFJR1300.html

Attachments

• 2007-Yamaha-FJR1300-1-lw.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 138
UPDATE: I came to the realization that I didn't really need a racer, & it's been a long time since I've owned a bike. I was looking at all these new bikes & they were all around 7-9 grand, & I figured if I was going to lay one down by chance, I didn't want it to be a brand new bike. I kept my eyes on Craigslist & found this 2001 Suzuki SV650-S, with just 5500 miles, so it's "kinda" new lol. He was asking $3300 on the first ad, then down to $2600 on the next, I took it for a quick ride & offered him $2300 & he went for it. He even threw in his brand new "Joe Rocket" riding jacket & pants.

Attachments

• mtcycl 001.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 147
I own a Kawasaki ZX14 and I can tell you it's an unbelieveable ride. The accleration
is insane and it handles like a dream. I'm 54 but have always loved sportbikes. I remember riding a 1973 Kawasaki 750 when they were the fastest bikes around. The
ZX14 is a rocket on wheels.

UPDATE: I came to the realization that I didn't really need a racer, & it's been a long time since I've owned a bike. I was looking at all these new bikes & they were all around 7-9 grand, & I figured if I was going to lay one down by chance, I didn't want it to be a brand new bike. I kept my eyes on Craigslist & found this 2001 Suzuki SV650-S, with just 5500 miles, so it's "kinda" new lol. He was asking $3300 on the first ad, then down to $2600 on the next, I took it for a quick ride & offered him $2300 & he went for it. He even threw in his brand new "Joe Rocket" riding jacket & pants.

sounds like you got a good deal....and thats the way to do it.have fun!

-
Back