Any tips for first car show with the Duster?

-

Dusterdude72

IN MOPAR MUSCLE MAGAZINE
Reaction score
Hey guys, going to be entering in my first car show with the Duster tomorrow (its finally done lol).

This isn't a super critical car show, just a local show. No cars that are barret jackson quality or anything.

I know of the normal things I should do (make sure its shined up good,chrome clean,glass clean,interior clean,tires and wheels clean,engine bay clean (cant do anything about my ugly headers lol).

Just looking for any info and tips that may help aid in a win of some sort.

Is a for sale sign frowned upon or does it normally not effect the scoring?.

This car show is pretty stale.....normally the same cars have been going for a long time....new stuff every once and awhile.

mostly dominated by chevy and ford but there is normally 10-15 mopars...mostly B and E body mopars....maybe 2 or 3 a bodies at most from what i have seen.

I am not sure on what all classes there are to place in beyond 50's,60's,70's and 80's best in classes.

The duster was in mopar muscle magazine (link below) back in december 2010 when I first started the resto. I was thinking of setting the magazine (article open) in the car somewhere so people can see it maybe).

The car is already cleaned up pretty well, so my plan is to go over a few things tomorrow and make sure its all good to go. drive it there, detail wipe it down, re wet the tires and it should be good to go.

Any particular area I should try to park in front of? (its a down town car show. lots of old brick buildings and store fronts) (not sure if judges tend to give lower score due to lack of nice background scenery)

Sorry for the long post. any tips would be appreciated thanks. And here are some current pictures of the Duster....what do you guys think? worth of a win? ( i know...winning isnt everything...but if the chance of winning is good...that would be icing on the cake lol.)

When you pull in, open the dumps a little, make sure you get people's attention without being obnoxious

I do 1-2 shows a year with my ride. Just for fun.(70 Dart daily-driver) The only trophy I ever won was for my 1977 Datsun 710 wagon(best miscellaneous Datsun!!!) Hahaha... I got no tips for you sorry, but very nice ride you have there, looks like you've done a nice job.

I always clean my car good inside and out. Bring extra rags for cleaning or dusting, maybe some water in a spray bottle to remove bugs, also glass cleaner. Usually for sale signs are not aloud in shows, only the car corral. Bring a cooler with drinks and snacks, I love summer sausage sandwhiches at shows, plus, you save a lot of money not buying the food there. Bring some chairs to sit in, maybe an umbrella or 2 if it rains, or a poncho. Camera is a must!!! I go to have a good time and talk cars, I never hope for a trophy cause then there is no let down LOL

Your car looks great, good luck and have fun!! :glasses7:

Thanks guys.

It has been 4 years in the works. (check out the link in my signature to the build thread if you are curious what it started life out as).

not expecting a trophy. Just looking for tips on things that would better my odds at the chance of getting one as I have not registered a car at a car show before so I didnt know if there were any specific do's and don'ts I should look out for other than the obvious.

yup, I have a little check list (chairs,camera,tire shine,interior spray,inspection spray,glass cleaner,microfiber towels,etc....etc...). so I should be all set on what supplies I need to take.

Thanks again guys.

i would just try to have fun, shows usually are extremely boring, i get way more looks and thumbs up as i drive my demon. your duster looks awesome!!

What's with that crappy ribbed upper rad hose??

Personally I would pull in. Park in the shade if possible , maybe open the hood then walk away and enjoy yourself. Screw worrying about if its clean or nice enough for someone else. And seriously at a local Type of show whoever is doing the judging probably doesnt know what the hell they are looking at anyway

Don't forget a fire extinguisher. Most shows require them. Most judging require hood and trunk to be open. Make sure trunk is clean and neat. If you carry spare stuff and cleaners, I normally put them under my chair I have nearby. Straighten your seat belts and/or put them in the retainers. Neatness counts. If you have floor mats and your carpet is in real good condition, take out the mats and put to side. If your car is detailed underneath, cheap dressing mirrors propped up on one side under the side of the car will allow people to see underneath without having to stoop. Judges like that. Photographs tell stories when you aren't there. A digital photo frame with a slide show on it, an album, or a poster frame with a collage of pictures/description speaks when you can't. They can even cover that slight stain if needed. :) Good luck and have fun! That is the key. Many times at local shows it is political (people vote on type of car they remember or they can recognize which most of the time is a Camaro or Mustang) and those with the nicest show car do not win. Remember you are there for the fun, not the trophy. Don't let someone not deserving ruin your day.

Like the car alot.
Not a big fan of plastic wire loom wrap in the engine bay.
That would all have to go for me. Use factory wire loom wrap.
Upper rad hose would have to go.
Most of all,just have fun. Half of the shows is just buddies giving buddies trophies.
Have fun,check out the other cars,and the pepes.Dont get to wrapped up in it.

PS: Watch out for key carrying,stroller pushing,belt buckle wearing,bike riding,dog walking,ice cream eating,bowling pin juggling,etc,etc folks !
Good luck.

Don't worry about parking in the shade when you get there - park where there's going to be shade during the hot part of the day.
What kind of judging is there at this show? Popular choice as voted by the participants or participants and spectators? Or real individual judging by the organization putting on the show?
Popular choice judging will be more beneficial to the many Fords and Chevys that will outnumber the Mopars big time. I've been to some shows that don't even have a Mopar category.
Enjoy the show for what it is, but most of all enjoy your beautiful Mopar knowing what you have is not one of the "belly button" cars.

Radiator hose was is ribbed because my front timing cover and water pump are 67 coronet style and the radiator is out of a 58 amc rambler and finding a molded hose was tough. I ended up going ribbed and didn't bother looking for something else since cause it works!.

Wire loom might not be some people's taste but sure beat the rats nest of wiring that use to be when I got the car!. (Hey at least it's black and not bright yellow... Cut me some slack lol).

Like I said its just a local show and not to critical. No fire extinguishers needed.

Car is washed,waxed,detail sprayed,chrome and stainless polished,glass cleaned,carpets cleaned, tires shined, got a goodie bag with tools just in case and polishes and cleaners and rags and such. Have a show board made up with pictures of how the car originally looked and the article of mopar muscle for people to see.

Like I said, I know it's not all about trophies. I know it's my car and that's what matters, I'm not going into it with expectations of a win. Was just mostly looking for tips to better my odds. Going and not winning is fine... But going and leaving with some kind of a win would be icing on the cake is all I'm saying.

And yes... Like most typical shows I am sure there will be plenty of mustangs and camaros. Some of which are probably new and the owner hasn't even put any personal touches on.

No designated parking spots.... Just park wherever you wants.

Not positive on what categories there are beyond best car of the decade from 50's-80's and I believe a people's choice and a few others.

There will probably be very few mopars and even fewer a bodies (if I recall there is 1 barracuda that normally goes, a demon, a couple challengers, a few b-bodies and that's about it. So the mopar a will be in short supply.

Starts at 6 so it should be cooling down temp wise by then. Not to mention its in downtown with buildings which shade ally of the streets.

I was at a car show early this morning, I pulled in with my Signet and parked between a blue candy 66 Nova and a white / grey 55 Ford Victoria, got out and both the other owners were shuttering and couldn't keep their eyes from it... So to break the ice I said, what's this, the meeting of the mindless...

I go to just a few car shows. I don't expect to win anything. I don't need anything for my car. I primarily go for the bacon wrapped hots dogs with grilled onions and peppers. Those that have attended Spring and fall Fling know what I mean.

HEY HEY HEY--Me and AbodyJoe agree on something--I'm not a car show guy either,I go to see other peoples cars and the unique things people do-Clean your car-pull in and enjoy the day--HINT--I love to sit behind the next guy's car and listen to what people say about my car and most have no idea what the hell they are talking about--I once heard a guy tell his wife that he had a duster just like mine with the same motor back in the day--HA--I've got a new Hemi in mine and SOOOO many people tell me they had the same car LOL-Have fun and relax

Radiator hose was is ribbed because my front timing cover and water pump are 67 coronet style and the radiator is out of a 58 amc rambler and finding a molded hose was tough. I ended up going ribbed and didn't bother looking for something else since cause it works!.

take care of it when ya can. it ruins the entire look under the hood and screams half assed.. the rest of the car looks too good for that stuff.. :)

Note: When you "re wet the tires", don't do it right where you are going to park if you are spraying them. If you are wiping them that is ok. I have "judged" a few shows and that is a real turn off seeing the tire shine allover the ground next to the tire.

Enjoy...and report back to us!

-
Back