Any value in 198’s?

-
If you are parting it out, I would be interested in the timing chain cover and dampener.

If you are parting it out, I would be interested in the timing chain cover and dampener.

I will keep it in mind. Not sure how this whole thing will go yet.

I think he is looking at pulling it soon, but not sure when our schedules will align to either help him, or just to pick it up.

Cuda Hunter is right depends what the 198 is in. I guy I know that lives close by, a real Mopar enthusiast. Informed me and E-mailed me pics of car and a pic of the fender tag. He just acquired a B0B Barracuda, 1971 Barracuda triple black, 198 Slant6 with 3-speed manual on floor and magnum road wheels. Built in Hamtramck but found its way out here in SoCal. A very straight and great looking car, was not running but is running now. Price paid 35K for an A93 Coupe all black. Not many of these running around.

Special Slant6 in this case a 198 Slant6 (B) year built 1970 (0) built in Hamtramck (B) B0B. I should have said B1B for an A93 Coupe built in 1971. Cuda Hunter knows here. Hope it clears up for you.

Oh. Makes sense. After I posted that I thought maybe " black on black" as a possibility

Volaredon, Glad to help the A93, (which is a code on the fender tag) would be the Barracuda Coupes and the Challenger Deputy, both had the 198 Slant6 and a 3-speed manual trans, they were usually pretty spartan in options if any. So hence the B0B and B1B as part of the VIN.

The A93's also had rear windows that were solid and would not role down/up.
They had a very specific interior as well. Unique to all the ebodies.
The "coupe" models were the very base line of ebodies. Very different from a "gran coupe".
@/sixchall Is the fender tag listed anywhere for viewing? I would love to see it and decode it.
As an example, here is my A93. 1971 coupe model. It's a C. I have yet to own a B, an R and a U. Always looking though.

100_8481b.jpg

The D13's were the baseline trans across the board for the ebodies. Most B0B or B1B cars will have a D13 since it appears that most folks didn't go into the dealership and ask to order the cheapest items available.

My contribution.

B1B '71 Demon with D13 transmission (rolled off assembly line on Sept.19, 1970).
Fender tag.jpg

The 198 is still present in the engine bay, just as the (on floor) 3 speed transmission

François

Thanks “Cuda Hunter” for your contributions on this post. I do have a copy of my friends 71 Barracuda B1B, A93 car. I will ask him if I can post a pic of it here to you. Right you are about the non roll down quarter windows. The car itself is in really great condition, even the paint can be cleaned up to bring it back. Interior is real nice and shows what an A93 interior is all about with 3-speed stick poking up thru the floor. My Slant6 70 Challenger out of LA is a “C” code car. I have researched it and I believe it may be the very first 6 cyl E-body to be built on the LA assy line. Aug 18, 1969 first Mon of volume production. Here is my fender tag.

79AFD1E4-F367-4716-A8ED-B3D5DF95B359.png

Oh yeah, I was just reading your comments about the bh23bob100076 with M46. I will throw this into this thread. I"m always looking for the 70 bh barracuda for the m46 option. Kinda why I have gained some knowledge about the /6's cause a lot of bh's are /6's. There is a ton of info on this thread link. Look if you would like to learn something about E's.
Finders Fee !!!!

Cuda Hunter, when I referenced first E-body off assy line in LA. Just the Challengers that’s true about 100076 BH Barracuda being before mine. But, mine being an earliest Challenger 6 cyl built off LA assy line at # 113. Dan, 6bblgt with e-bodies.org mentioned mine was the earliest 6 cyl e-body he’s ever heard of. What do you think.

Is this Demon in France? Cool car!! Love the options and the colors.

Yes, it's in south of France. Originally imported brand new in Belgium in May 1971, and imported in France since 2015.

20220911_104536.jpg

20220418_140512.jpg

The 198ci engine (the black & silver tag on the passenger inner fender is the original belgian homologation)
13-04-2022.jpg

And the D13, stick on the floor, A-230 3-speed trans
20220513_165948.jpg

Definitely not a muscle car, just a plain jane Demon but I love it :p

François

Last edited:
Got the motor home finally. Drained the oil and got 3 quarts of antifreeze and then something like gear oil. Dropped the pan and looks like there is mud in the pan. And the motor is locked up.

The block, head and VC are all yellow. But the pan is blue. Did they paint 198's yellow?

Either way, going to yank the head and knock the pistons out of it soon. I expect the block is junk, but even if it isn't can't see a way to ship it to anyone and doubt someone local would want it. And the only thing special about it is the 198 stamping, if it is even there (I didn't know to look and haven't checked yet).

Got the motor home finally. Drained the oil and got 3 quarts of antifreeze and then something like gear oil. Dropped the pan and looks like there is mud in the pan. And the motor is locked up.

The block, head and VC are all yellow. But the pan is blue. Did they paint 198's yellow?

Either way, going to yank the head and knock the pistons out of it soon. I expect the block is junk, but even if it isn't can't see a way to ship it to anyone and doubt someone local would want it. And the only thing special about it is the 198 stamping, if it is even there (I didn't know to look and haven't checked yet).
I've seen engines like that clean up and be ok. It all depends on what went wrong and how long it was run like that. ........and I've never known of a 198 to be painted yellow. But that doesn't mean anything.

I've seen engines like that clean up and be ok. It all depends on what went wrong and how long it was run like that.

Can't imagine anyone local is going to want the block and doubt there is interest to pay a significant amount to ship a it. I'm not looking for any real money for any of this either, but I doubt that will change anything.

........and I've never known of a 198 to be painted yellow.

The yellow engine with the blue oil pan has me really baffled. I wonder if someone "spruced" it up while it was in the car or something. Hard to tell, you have to look close to see the yellow so not certain there isn't yellow on the pan, too. Didn't seem like it, but I wasn't really look for it either. And the back of the block is yellow, too. Seems like it would be hard to get that painted in the car.

'60's truck 225's were painted yellow, sounds like the block cracked/froze, the crank & rods are the things of value. Before trying to knock it apart, check on the cyl. condition, if they're rusted level the mill & fill them with Evaporust. Your life will be easier if You do, then spray penetrant/fogging oil in & let it soak. I did this to a '62 170 I yanked out of a Valiant sdn., ended up able to work it back & forth till now it rolls over w/a ratchet.
Put protectors over the rod bolts & try to avoid clipping the crank/rods if knocking the slugs out. Too bad You're clean across this great country, I'd be interested in the crank, but...

Well, I think the mystery of the yellow paint is solved. Wish I had figured it out earlier.

After about 3 hours of knocking this thing apart and getting the rods and pistons out of the block, I took another measurement of the connecting rods on the bench and got something less than 7" long. Something like, oh I don't know, maybe 6.7" long? I swear I measured one when I had the pan off and saw 7". Guess not.

If anyone wants to confirm, the numbers on the rods are 2205554. I looked for casting (forging?) numbers for 198 /6 rods and came up blank, betting the above number isn't it.

I did find an old post where SlantSixDan said that there were truck motors painted yellow.

So I think someone swapped the 198 for a 225 out of a truck and used the blue 198 oil pan during the swap.

-
Back