Any value or demand for 65 273

-

Dubob

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Need some advice and guidance. I've never dealt with small blocks too much, but my dad has a 65 273 2 bbl with the 904 push button trans that's been sitting. The trans code 2466123w comes up as a 65 barracuda, dart or valiant 2 bbl 273. This setup has been sitting for I don't know how long but inside. The engine is missing the passenger exhaust manifold, ditributor, and valve covers. The engine mount isolators and brackets are there along with pulleys and 2bbl carburetor. So I know it's not a commando. The cast date on the block is 11-6-64 and stamped A273-11-14 on front drivers side of block, cylinder heads are 2465315-1, -2. I'm going to pull the spark plugs and see if it turns over. My question is if there is any value/demand for something like this as a core? It doesn't appear its been torn down in the past but not sure. Also the block is painted more of an orange than a red. Any help or guidance is appreciated. Thanks.

Need some advice and guidance. I've never dealt with small blocks too much, but my dad has a 65 273 2 bbl with the 904 push button trans that's been sitting. The trans code 2466123w comes up as a 65 barracuda, dart or valiant 2 bbl 273. This setup has been sitting for I don't know how long but inside. The engine is missing the passenger exhaust manifold, ditributor, and valve covers. The engine mount isolators and brackets are there along with pulleys and 2bbl carburetor. So I know it's not a commando. The cast date on the block is 11-6-64 and stamped A273-11-14 on front drivers side of block, cylinder heads are 2465315-1, -2. I'm going to pull the spark plugs and see if it turns over. My question is if there is any value/demand for something like this as a core? It doesn't appear its been torn down in the past but not sure. Also the block is painted more of an orange than a red. Any help or guidance is appreciated. Thanks.

Not much value or interest . You might be able to sale the ajustable rockers

Ive got 2 of them that i cant get just 50 bucks a piece for..... 1 shot block, 1 almost complete......

The rockers, engine mount brackets, alternator brackets, and the valve covers all sell pretty quickly! You may want to save the oil pan as well! The rest???? Well, the trans might be a sale, the cables especially!!

i just had a free 65 273 delivered...so not a lot of value there.i do like the 69 and older oil pans better and also the timing cover is cool and as stated the rockers(and covers,but they were missing on yours).

i plan on re-ringing the one i have for a 1970 dodge truck,so i wouldn't throw it away...someone somewhere will want it.

i'd sell all the good parts and then maybe trade the rest if you can't find a use for it.

As a core;Nope. I've had one sitting here since the early '70s

As a running engine;Yup.........I demand you supercharge it. To 400plus HP. Then it will have plenty of value...to you! lol

I'm with you cosgig - I've got the pan, timing cover and balancer listed in the parts for sale forum. Have to see if i've listed the spare 65 904 yet....if i haven't, it will be soon .

I need a small block cableshift trans, BUT i'm in Missouri!!!!!!

I agree with the rockers, etc all that is salable. me I have room so I never (anymore) toss a usable short block.

I've got all that too, just pulled a 65 273 and trans from a Coronet! Forgot about the timing cover, and the timing tab as well!!! I think I'm going to use the valve covers for my 340 when I put it in the 66 Cuda, and dress it like a 2 bbl motor!! I like the sleeper look!

Thanks for the replies. Too bad he sold the 64 Dart he had. Would have been a perfect home to transplant it into to replace the slant that was there.

I've got the 273 coming out of my '68 Dart as well as a spare block sitting in my garage I picked up for free. I highly doubt anyone will want to buy it. I've seen running ones sit on CL for months priced at $100-250. When mine comes out, I think I'm just going to rebuild it for fun and if I ever find a slanty car throw it in.

If you ever decide to part it and the crankshaft still looks good, I'll take it.

273's are sweet engines, especially for the street. I've never thrown one away. Good light rods, forged crank, internal balance, solid lifter cam and valve train. You have the rare exhaust manifold, 64-66, if the drivers side is there. Good power and 25 mpg cruising on the highway. The trans is a good piece also with the small convertor hub and cable shift, push button or factory console. Craigslist is not a good indicator of what something is worth.

I could use both the motor and tranny for my 62 Valiant wagon , but I'm in Mississippi,

I've got the 273 coming out of my '68 Dart as well as a spare block sitting in my garage I picked up for free. I highly doubt anyone will want to buy it. I've seen running ones sit on CL for months priced at $100-250. When mine comes out, I think I'm just going to rebuild it for fun and if I ever find a slanty car throw it in.

If you ever decide to part it and the crankshaft still looks good, I'll take it.

You can get more than $150-200 by selling the valve train, motor mounts, alternator brackets, valve covers, timing cover and tab, oil pan, and the 90* oil filter adapter! Then core the alternator to Plum Crazy Garage if it's in the date window, and scrap the rest if you have to!

As of right now, I have 4 273 motors sitting around, and a commando 273, just can't seem to get up the nerve to part them out!

As others have already said it sounds like a parts donor to me too.
It has Lots of stuff that can be shipped and then you can scrap or even give the block away.
You could post that you are parting out a 273 on here & it'd probably help a few guys out.

Studebaker p.u. street rod engine?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 88
-
Back