anybody else drive minivans?

-
I can't imagine not having one. Until last week, I had three. A 99 Sport, a 2002 Grand Sport, and a 2014 Grand Crew. I scrapped the 02, because it was looking rather awful (rust and dents), but it still ran beautifully, with 507,000 km (315,000 miles) I was also told to reduce my hoard!

They are great vehicles, it’s too bad they got the mom-mobile image.
When I was at Chrysler I would get an employee lease car and would get a minivan even though I was single. I hauled my racing kart in it and also my Jet Ski. Of course I heard many sarcastic comments but everyone always wanted to trade for my minivan when they went on vacation.

I’d love to find a ‘96-2000 short wheelbase Sport.
Also a Chrysler LX short wheelbase could be ordered with the 3.8L which was a nice package.

19815362-6E72-4AFD-B58A-A8453D193B0C.jpeg
Checking this one out in a couple days.

$5000 2000 GC sport 3.3 ~100K miles... sold it after the wife had a minor wreck 240K miles.
$5500 2005 GC 3.3 ~100K miles... gave to in laws at 210K trans died at ~300xxx (their 2nd over 300K)

$15000 splurge on a newer 2013 GC r/t 3.6 ~50K miles now at 100K.

yeah we drive them and love them. lots of cheap people moving/vacation miles and really nothing outside of normal maintenance. then again "normal" high mile care stuff is not necessarily "nothing" but IMO might as well have been. tierod ends, batteries, one starter, one radiator, damper rubber failed, shocks/struts, wheel bearings on the 2005 (all eventually), nothing ever on the engine except for 02 sensor, plugs/wires,

i don't think the 3.8 lasted as long.

I bought a real clean shorty mini-van in the early 90's when my son was born. Tinted the windows and never looked back. My buddies had no problem piling into it to go to a football game or whatever. Take out the seats and haul whatever you want. I looked at a Pacifica Touring the other day. Still a pretty nice vehicle if you ask me.

chrysler-pacifica-s-promo.jpg

Those Pacifica models are real nice and kind of have a Start Trek NG feel.

...but they are over 10K more than the Caravan.

Found a transmission. Guy took my $50 offer. Got it at least in the van yesterday (home from work/snow day)

40CBD0A3-AA2C-4646-B308-BC57079E448C.jpeg
FD7A5CA0-2618-4124-B7BB-D9838050AAD9.jpeg
92CC68B9-169E-4DA1-AB88-FD98F4E3B55E.jpeg
FA5E7F3E-4FB7-42F4-BC60-D218AA2A16CE.jpeg

CF75B63C-E8CE-4256-8FBA-83A8085521FA.jpeg

Last edited:
My wife had a new 2002 town and country mini van. We were at a yard sale. The van was running we loaded the items and closed the gate. The auto side doors closed and locked by themselves with our Daughter in her car seat. That was the end of the Mini Vans for my wife. She went from loving it to hating it. We had Ford Exploders since and have one to this day.

After trans swap?
Harness from ipm goes down between trans and rad, there is a chance a wire is broken, like a fuel pump power wire.
Cant be anything major.

Wires that run low get beat up and during swap they may have finally broken.
No code stored? I bet its fuel pump.

Well technically it died with the transmission but yes after the trans swap it wont start. I'll pull the loom off and check wires.

Next is power to coil, what engine?
If it has fuel pressure, cam/crank signal there isnt much left.

The old flex plate had one bolt hole that was different. The 03 one that I used didn’t. I’m thinking I’ve got the flexplate clocked wrong?

Backread, 3.3. Good engines.
Dont recall if crank sensor is in bellhousing, if it is it may be damaged. Have seen it before.

Ok. The flex plate is the trigger for timing,would think if it mounted to crank the same it would be fine. Crank sensor mount is slotted?
The new sensor had a paper disc glued to end of it to set the depth or air gap.
If it goes in too deep they get whacked by the trigger holes and distort the signal.

crank sensor is in the bellhousing. It did look like it took a little hit. Still works (says scan tool)

Had an intrepid that showed sensor as ok,is it registering rpms during cranking?

The sensor cracks if it isnt removed during trans swap. Or if chunks float around when trans demolished itself. I saw lots of carnage from those pins sawing through the case.

Theres your clue..
If you go to any fuel injected vehicle, disable fuel pump and crank engine it will register rpm during a crank cycle.

Some engines will run with a dead crank sensor, but not with one that has an erratic signal.
Same goes for cam sensor.
I said some. Not all. Im going back 20 years since i had to deal with them on a daily basis.

-
Back