Anybody here into... old Porsches?

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of FABO members who own a wide variety of different and interesting cars, so I'm wondering if anyone here happens to own or "be interested in" older Porsches from the '80s and earlier. My buddy's dad owns a '98 911 Targa (last year of air-cooled) and while it's not a classic it is very unique and a thrill to ride in (of course I haven't driven it...). After looking around and realizing how INEXPENSIVE these cool cars are it seems like I might actually be able to get one sometime in the future... Hopefully a '78-up intercooled 930 (911 turbo) that I can work over to a 450 HP monster, but that's a bit more money, LOL! What have you guys experienced with these old air-cooled cars?

I have always liked the 944s, but never found one in the price range that I had at the time

I have always liked these.

DSC00029 (Custom).JPG

I had a chance to buy a 66 911? for $1000 that ran and drove with no rust. I wish I had.

My buddy had a older 911 thing was very quick and handled like it was on rails.But when it was time for a brake shop big $$$$$$

Ahh moper kid!

There a bit of a widow maker those 1st turbo porsches!
All the better for when you get the nack of driving them!

As much as i make fun of porsches,deep down i know
what i wouldnt do to own a new one...

Out the factory,one has recorded an 11.1 quarter mile at 125mph..
Impressive isnt the word.

They screwed up when they put the motor in the front with
the 944 ,908 etc but then
they learnt fast ,if it aint broke,dont fix it!

Nothing more expensive than a "cheap" Porsche!

Haha, that's why I know it'll probably be at earliest the third car I buy... one of those wouldn't be very cheap to keep going, and I would want something to get better gas mileage than my Duster for commuting.

A kid at my high school owned a 944 but it didn't seem like much of a hot car. Sounded like a rice-burner and wasn't very quick. The "smallest" one I'd own would be the 914 but that's still no rocket either. 928s are pretty cool though--bigger than a 911 for comfort but still almost as capable.

There aren't many things more exiting than sliding my 993 cabrio around a sweeping curve at 50 MPH. except I go through my share of tires and those michelin pilots aren't cheap. The car is also as reliable as the day is long. Kev

064.JPG

I used to have a 914 2.0. Kind of wish I had kept it.

They screwed up when they put the motor in the front with
the 944 ,908 etc but then
they learnt fast ,if it aint broke,dont fix it!

A kid at my high school owned a 944 but it didn't seem like much of a hot car. Sounded like a rice-burner and wasn't very quick.

Got that right, nemesis. Constantly blowing rear end seals, ripping motor mounts, tearing out steering couplers. The idiot balance shaft that would jump out of time if you looked at it wrong causing the whole stinking car to vibrate, especially at high rev. Constant electrical gremlins. The 944 didn't seem quick because it wasn't. It was built to try to be a Porsche for the masses. Didn't work very well. Boy, I don't miss working on the damned things every day of the week...

I hauled Porsche race cars for a team based in Florida.......

944 endurance racing school cars....
racecartransport.jpg

adamracecar.jpg

racecarmag.jpg

935 K3 Kremer

aikenk3.jpg

962-C IMSA Prototype

akin-03_th1.jpg

245433835pits21.jpg

IMSA 928 'Doctors' Car Once or Twice

I love them, want a 93/97 993S Coupe. Fastest car around corners I've ever been in. Here is my buddies 1961 356

Scotts car.JPG

I love them, want a 93/97 993S Coupe. Fastest car around corners I've ever been in. Here is my buddies 1961 356

Thats a nice 356. In North America the 993 actually started in 1995 and ran till 1998, the last year of the air cooled and before they bloated out the body and put the ugly boxter front sheetmetal on it. The 96-98 were the best because of the vario ram engine, more HP at high RPM and better driveablility at lower rpm. MOPEkid, when it comes to an affordable 911 that is still reliable the 1978-1981 or 82 911SC with the 3.0L engine and CIS injection would be a good choice. A lot of fun for a reasonable price if you find one that hasn't been thrashed too badly. I had a 79 911 SC Targa, a great car that would still be a pleasure to drive. Kev

Ah robert you know 1st hand!
Im glad you agree!
Im even gladder that porsche went back to there roots!

Kanders thats quite the garage you got there!

An yellow dart dave,dont even get me started on
porsches racing cars!

How bout those 1000hp flat 12's!?
I think thats the model.
THey made stupid power back in there day.

Cool!

Thats a nice 356. In North America the 993 actually started in 1995 and ran till 1998, the last year of the air cooled and before they bloated out the body and put the ugly boxter front sheetmetal on it. The 96-98 were the best because of the vario ram engine, more HP at high RPM and better driveablility at lower rpm. MOPEkid, when it comes to an affordable 911 that is still reliable the 1978-1981 or 82 911SC with the 3.0L engine and CIS injection would be a good choice. A lot of fun for a reasonable price if you find one that hasn't been thrashed too badly. I had a 79 911 SC Targa, a great car that would still be a pleasure to drive. Kev

Those were the years I was looking at too, as I read about how the earlier 2.7L engines weren't as good. How different are the Turbo cars from the "regular" 911s though? Would it work like an old Mopar where you can buy a base model and easily swap in a built-up engine and upgrade the suspension and brakes, or would it be more cost-effective to just buy a Turbo car from the start?

Back in 1969 I was in the Navy and stationed Puerto Rico and I bought a '60 356 Roadster Porsche. I brought it back to the States and drove it to college. I sold it to one of my instructors. I also had a '63 Cabriolet and a '62 Coupe later on. They are great little cars. But I am fixated on my 70 AAR Cuda and my 66 Formula S Cuda now.

Those were the years I was looking at too, as I read about how the earlier 2.7L engines weren't as good. How different are the Turbo cars from the "regular" 911s though? Would it work like an old Mopar where you can buy a base model and easily swap in a built-up engine and upgrade the suspension and brakes, or would it be more cost-effective to just buy a Turbo car from the start?

It's not cost effective to add a turbo. To be honest, an early turbo(930) is not a great car by todays standards. They had bad turbo lag then came on so strong they were actually a little dangerous. The owners manual warns not to fully accelerate while on a curve. You won't find a low priced turbo since even the old ones command a premium price. The turbo cars had the wide body and ran a 4spd trans instead of a 5spd due to the extra HP (also part of the driveability issue). There are lots of suspension upgrades avail for older years of 911's. The best HP upgrade is a supercharger kit at around $7000-10000. Adds 100 HP. Kev

-
Back