anybody here use the summit racing wheels?

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Hey guys,

i noticed that summit racing has their own line of wheels in styles that are similar to the weld draglites and prostars (cant remember the summit names) and centerline autodrags (summit drag II's). Just wondering if anybody here has used these wheels before on their ride and what they think of them. Also, does anyone know what company makes the wheels for Summit? any opinions would be greatly appreciated

thanks guys

i know there is atleast one member on here running the summit stars as he posted his combo in the wheel/tire combo thread, so is there anyone else out there who has used summit wheels before? just wanted some opinions on whether or not they are worth buying due to quality

Ive seen some in person they look really clean and for the price they are def. worth it. If i didnt have my prostars I would but them.

does anybody know who actually makes them for summit racing?

I would also be interested in the weight difference between the Summit version and real Weld ProStars if anybody knows. That is probably the biggest difference since they look pretty darn close. Thanks!

I'd be the summit brand is made by someone of note. The cams are Cranes ..........Intakes Weiands I think.........
Seems like an easy deal to do/make.

well theres gotta be atleast a few on this board who are using them...in regards to weight, summit says they are aluminum wheels without the big price and like rumblefish says they have companies making stuff for them (flowtech makes the headers, cams by crane, etc.) so i think they would probably have similar specs to most other aluminum wheels out there...even so, if they are a little heavier than real welds, it probably isn't by much....lets here what you users have to say

i have a set of the ones that look like the draglites on my 64 dart. they work and look great! they use a tapered seat lug nut instead of a mag style like real draglites. not sure who makes them but they balanced well and are very straight and well machined. plus i think not having the multi lug pattern makes them look cleaner.

That sounds awesome....How long have you beed running them for? your right about the absence of a multi lug pattern looking cleaner.. it actually drew my attention to them because of that...What do you mean by tapered seast lug nut instead of mag style like real draglites? Also, have you ever owned real draglites and noticed if the summit wheels are similar in weight?

i have a set of the ones that look like the draglites on my 64 dart. they work and look great! they use a tapered seat lug nut instead of a mag style like real draglites. not sure who makes them but they balanced well and are very straight and well machined. plus i think not having the multi lug pattern makes them look cleaner.
I am with you I dont like that one size fits all on anything.Kevin.

most of your stock wheels like steel ones use a tapered seat lug nut that centers itself like a wheel bearing seating against its race but mag wheel lugs are like a "T" and go into the wheel quite a bit. mags are also the ones that typically have a washer on them. i have owned a few sets of prostars and draglites over the years. even the crager version of the prostar tha blew up when my 383 put the torque down. hella scary that one was! oh and i have been running the summits for about a year now. seem a little more hefty.

i see...well for the price they seem like a steal, just be interesting to know who is making them for summit

I'm looking at a set of Drag Stars and saw the Summit brand ones. I would hate to buy a set and find out they are cheap Chinese knock offs!!

Here's the latest wheel I'm considering it's made by Greg Weld Design

92-Star-15x8-2-med.jpg

They are crazy cheap and are looking pretty promising! $139 at Summit for 15x10

I don't know about the Summit brand, but these are the Jegs brand and they are pretty sweet, I think they were cheaper thand the Summit wheels. They are a one peice wheel, super nice wheel for the money

cuda2.JPG

my buddy just got the jegs ones also and they look exactly like mine from summit? wonder if they use the same supplier? they even both put them out about the same time....

the wheels are looking good guys....for the price they cant be beat, and from all the great things you guys are saying about them they seem worth every penny...do any of you guys know who makes them for summit/ jegs? and compared to real prostars/ draglites, are the copies alot heavier or pretty close in weight?

I don't know who makes them, don't think it matters though if you like them. they are a real good quailty wheel, they are a little heavier than a Weld, but they are also a better street wheel than a Weld. Welds are light and meant for the track, these are a good all round wheel

For street applications, I think that they would be great, but for drag racing applications, I don't think that they have the strength in the taper seat design. The only thing supporting the wheel to the axle stud is the small conical seat area. The Weld or mag wheel design that uses a lug nut with the washer and shank design on the nut spreads out the load to the longer shank area of the 5 nuts. Big difference. Even though Summit lists them in the race wheel section, I'm not so sure that it should be considered a race wheel but more of a street wheel with the race wheel appearance. Just my 2 cents worth.

Ken
Edison, NJ

I bought a set of the "centerline" style and they are very nice and very light. Compare them to the orginal centerline wheel and they are almost identical. I have not got my tires yet but dont see any reason not to use them for street or strip. For the price they are geat. The do not say who makes them but they do say the dreaded words "made in china"

oh well! So is everything else!

100_2490.jpg

100_2491.jpg

-
Back