Anybody use this valve spring compressor?

-
Looks like a good one, I just bought this one today from the local auto shop. I paid $45

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/KD-2078-Universal-Overhead-Compressor/dp/B0002STSGC"]Amazon.com: KD Tools 2078 Universal Overhead Valve Spring Compressor: Automotive[/ame]

I have owned that KD since the early '70's. The advantage of it, is, it will work on just about any overhead valve engine.

That ebay thing --what I can see of it-- doesn't look to me like...........................

Such a lever type one is best if you have strong springs. I have a screw type like 4spdragtop shows and was barely able to slide the keepers in on fairly standard springs because the fingers take away from the closed coil length.

I got to use mine the other day and it works great, no issues at all with it, took maybe 15 minutes to install 8 springs/keepers.

I got one from hughes that looks to be the same. Mine works great, even on the "battleship springs" for my solid roller

I sell the KD one and the Lisle one in the picture below. The Lisle one is pretty cool because you set it once for all springs. I haven't used either of those. I changed quite a few sets of springs but all with the heads off. Thanks for your input. Mike

Attachments

• 4157T2L8feL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 391
I have a screw type like 4spdragtop shows and was barely able to slide the keepers in on fairly standard springs because the fingers take away from the closed coil length.

Agreed. I've had one of them for yrs. and while it works fine for light (stock or near stock pressure) springs it doesn't work good on stout springs and doesn't work at all on dual springs. The fingers aren't long enough to grab the inner spring.

-
Back