anybody work at firestone tire and rubber auto shops

-

alsdemon

Reaction score
i,ve got a meeting with a manager from firestone tomorrow after work. it,s about a job, i need to know if anybody know what they are wanting to here. i have the 30+ years of working on cars and trucks but most lately it,s been famly owned shops.this will be my first company shop in 15 years. i know how to run all the reg. shop stuff alignment racks, scanners, brake lathes. i have a great job now but i don,t make any money so i need to change. hopeing this will be a good chance.i been a little down with winter and so broke that i hope i don,t sound despert.i can pump my self up for this but i don,t want to come out cocky

I have worked at the sister company, Tires Plus. The are both affiliated so I would guess the pay scale is the same. They are set up for a hourly rate plus commission. They push u to sell, sell and sell. I was happy the first few years but then told the store manager to go F himself. The other drawback Is that they are open 7 days a week. So more than likely u will work weekends and have a day off during the week. If u are used to a family shop the pace will seem kinda crazy at first. Hang in there and u should do fine if u have the right people in the front office. At least u didnt put control arm bushings in a mini Cooper like me today.

orange park is that near orlando. or winter park?i don,t mine the selling as long as i get paid for what i sell, plus we are not in a high dollar part of town so i think it will be firestone workers.car,s. the store is in front of the factory building.main office or it used to be back in the day. i have no idea where the head Q is now

I have 5 years exp with Firestone in the past. They were my second auto shop in my career. They are flat-rate and here in GA the rate is from 12.50 to 22.00 an hour depending on skills ASE and so on. As mentioned they are open 7 days a week, i had to work nearly every Sat and 2 Sun a month, open lots of holidays including Christmas Eve, so that part sucks. They do have good benefits insurance, vacation and so forth. I have worked with some good and not so good techs there and i would suggest you try to get as much per hour as you can before you start as raises are far and few between, deff. tell them all of your exp and knowledge. It depends on the manager and location on how much you expect to make but all in all its not to bad. I left in July of last year to go to work at a Chrysler dealership and i don't regret it! Oh yeah the main headquarters is out of Chicago now. Hope this helps and good luck.

I currently work for Firestone as a C level tech. I'm just getting started out in my career in the auto tech world. The people I work for are GREAT (which I'm sure depends on the shop), I absolutely love my job. I'm paid flat rate and make 13 per hour. The shop is well maintained, all lifts, balancers, machines, etc. work well. The benefits are awesome.

401 K matched 50%
20% off Verizon, sprint and a few other carriers
unknown amount off of new chrysler and gms
vacation, sick time
The Firestone Credit Union is unbeatable.
You pay $5 a week for uniforms, they have your name and are washed weekly for you.
Good Health and Dental
Pretty bad vision insurance though.

If you have ASE certs that'll really boost your pay (if not you start out as a C tech). If you take the tests while you're working for them they will pay for the test and give you $200 for each one you pass.

Having your tools is definitely a must, at least at my shop it is. They supply, diag equip, oil drains, stuff of that nature, you need ratchets, sockets, wrenches, etc.

The only down side is (at least in my store) They work you pretty hard, which is great money, but I'm never scheduled for less than a 9hr day, and end up working 10-11 frequently. I work 5 days a week, a lot of the higher up techs in my shop work 6.

oh one other downfall. They make you do a courtesy check on every car. It pays 0.1 (6 minutes). You have to check and document the VIN, license plate, mileage, tire size, if the vehicle has TPMS or not, scratches, dents, missing hubcaps, cracked windshield, wipers, all lights, any check lights that are on oil, coolant, brake fluid level, coolant hoses,battery for corrosion, air filter, belts, and check and correct tire pressure, and measure tread depth and record it. I think i'm missing a few things to. It definitely takes more than 6 minutes.

One tip if you get hired. They will accidentally on occasion (once a week) pay the wrong person for a job you did. Get a legal pad, and write down each work order number, how much time it paid, and what the job was (oil, water pump, brakes, etc.) Then check your total hours on your pad each day to the total hours they actually paid you each day.

Go for it and good luck!

Cheers,
Drake

Also, you WILL have to pass a drug test and physical exam (paid by firestone). You must also be able to lift 60 lbs, they do a lift test during your physical.

They're hard pressed to fire you to. For some reason when I first started I forgot to put 20ish (known) oil caps back on. That was embarrassing.

My suggestion is to simply sell yourself with confidence but be humble at the same time. That strategy has always worked for me.

thanks guys interveiw went well. he said i,m in the lead but he had some more inter views the rest of the week. i,ve worked shitty hour before sort of been spoiled the last 13 teen years 5 days 9 to6. got all the tools i done mine flat rate make day go fast. we are in front of a plant so lots of employe cars.thanks for the keep track of time thing. hope it a go will fine out this week end.:mrgreen:

Well did you get the job? Has anyone heard from Al? He hasn't posted for a long time, maybe the new job is keeping him busy.

Probably the new job is keeping him too busy. I used to work for Firestone. They'll suck the life force out of you if you let 'em. I quit when the store manager made me put a part on a car that wasn't needed. He used the preventive maintenance excuse. They have a large manual at the front counter that has all the recommended preventive maintenance intervals printed in it. The sales people really hammer the customers with their pre-rehearsed sales script. Sometimes twice if the customer is hesitant. The one I worked at was an appointment only shop. The above mentioned courtesy check and also their "PMI" check was used to work up an estimate for the car. I never saw one written up for less than $800.00. Overworked and underpaid for sure. May sound like sour grapes But I did find a much better job afterwords. But I never recommend Firestone to my friends and family. I do recommend a lot of local Mom & Pop shops around here. I try to avoid foreign owned companies.

My only problem with large stores like that is the pressure at which they make you sell. If a belt has ONE crack in it for example, you recommend it. It's stupid. Any business that runs on numbers will be high pressure. They always expect next month to be better than the previous. Just know that it will be high pressure. That causes stress and stress can kill **** outta you.

ya all good new job is working ok . got a lot done over the week end uncover the demon and found a gas tank for the daytona at a new u yank-it lot. bike is up and running, tractor is working mowed sunday.i need to work on the daytona now to get my driveway open up a little. i think i have most of the parts to reinstall the motor and trans.had a lot of job chances but i,m just too old and most places want younger guy,s.

-
Back