Anyone been to Germany? Worth going?

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
So here's the deal. We have a god-daughter who is a Major in the Army, lives in Germany, not sure what town. She and her military husband, and kids live off base.
She has offered to buy our plane tickets to Germany, and we would be staying with them when there. Maybe a week, but probably two.

My wife is dead set on going, me not so much, but she wants an answer so plane tickets could be purchased.
I on the on the other hand, really have no desire to ever leave the U.S.A

She will be quite upset if I say NO, and she will go on her own, but she's already guilt tripping about making her navigate the airports and such by her self. She is 70 so ya know.

So i guess I need a little convincing, am I missing the opportunity of a life time by not going? Or any reasons to NOT go?
Our hosts are much younger and I expect they will want to be on the go all the time, showing us around, maybe visiting neighboring countries.
But at our ages 63 and 70, I think all this running around is going to be too much for us.

HELL YES GO. Have a look around and see what you find. I would be going so fast my happy *** would already be there.

Yes go it’s one of the best countries to visit. I was stationed there from 03-07 in Giessen about 45 min north of Frankfurt. Go and eat a bunch of food and drink beer if you like it. Most people speak English, it’ll be cold this time of year similar to where I live in Oregon. I flew my mom out to visit in 2005 she loved it. Dustin

Last edited:
Best way to go (IMO) is when there is a base of operation to work from. It sounds like that type of arrangement. You've be visiting them and getting to know the area - taking day trips on your own pace as opposed to some rush rush running everywhere.

When you get there, or before, see what's in the area that matches up with your interests. Anything from art museums to car museums, or some hiking and beer. Beer's easy, just say ien beer, bitta. :)

I was there a lot throughout the 1990’s. Loved it. Not a fan of the large cities but the smaller - medium burgs and the countryside are awesome. People are pretty friendly for the most part if you don’t act the asshole American. Keep an open mind, try new things.

My older brother was stationed there from '86-'90. My parents went to visit him in the summer of '89. They absolutely loved it; they were there for two weeks and visited several countries, a few of which Dad had visited 35 years earlier with the USMC before he met Mom. Europe is geographically pretty small so visiting other countries is a lot like visiting other states here. They'd planned to go back after Dad retired and spend an entire summer. That never happened, but Mom went back on her own for six weeks a few years after Dad passed. She enjoyed it immensely.
Don't miss out, man. It's only a couple of weeks and it means a lot to the love of your life. Give her that, and later you'll realize what you also gave yourself.

I have several friends that live in Germany. It's one of my favorite European countries to visit. You can't go wrong taking a trip to Germany. The biggest mistake you could ever make is not going there.

Tom

You can continue living in your own small sandbox or you could expand your horizons and learn something new in a larger sandbox. And the airfare is taken care of? There is more in this world than the United States.

What’s the question?

Yep, been to Germany.
Was USAF there from 1974-76.
A base in the town of Zweibrucken, southern part of Germany.
Don't hesitate in going.
Get your *** on the plane, to most likely Frankfort, and enjoy the stay.
Their train system is top notch, in Europe, and will take you to any city you want to go to, if not the Autobahn.

Zweibrucken Main Gate.jpg

HELL YES GO. Have a look around and see what you find. I would be going so fast my happy *** would already be there.
Ditto! Do yourself the favor and visit Germany. You’ll not be sorry.

I always recommend travel especially for younger people :) You go half way around the world and see that people might live differently but generally want the same things as us. I've been to a few places (England, Greece, Turkey, Italy, US, Mexico) and have always found people to be friendly and respectful and I haven't always been in the tourist areas. Lots of German speak English too.

ps if I went I would definitely go to the Nürburgring race track which allows the public to make a lap. I doubt I would have the courage to try it myself.

When are you talking about going? If you go during Octoberfest, stay away from it unless you like the smell of hot beer and vomit.

You can continue living in your own small sandbox or you could expand your horizons and learn something new in a larger sandbox. And the airfare is taken care of? There is more in this world than the United States.

What’s the question?
Hey, we both worked hard all our lives so we could retire to the middle of nowhere and enjoy the peace and quiet. I like my sandbox. lol

go! you'll most likely enjoy it quite a bit.

I've been three times in the last 10 years or so and have had a great time in different small and large cities. Munich is my favorite and Berlin is pretty damn cool. like others said traveling to other countries is like driving to other states here and the rail system is top notch.

somebody else said this but it bears repeating: don't act like the typical loud asshole American and if you make even the most feeble attempt to speak a little German you'll be amazed how accommodating and polite people can be.

When are you talking about going? If you go during Octoberfest, stay away from it unless you like the smell of hot beer and vomit.
a side benefit of going during Octoberfest is that all of the other touristy stuff is still open and with everybody sleeping it off you'll basically have no crowds to deal with.

one day of attending the actual festival is more than enough to get the idea, and shouldn't be missed though!

go! you'll most likely enjoy it quite a bit.

: don't act like the typical loud asshole American and if you make even the most feeble attempt to speak a little German you'll be amazed how accommodating and polite people can be.
Well, guess I'd be alright on that anyway, I'm more like shy, quiet, and keep to myself. It's kind of a curse actually, it has stopped me from doing a lot of things that were probably quite fun.

Well, guess I'd be alright on that anyway, I'm more like shy, quiet, and keep to myself. It's kind of a curse actually, it has stopped me from doing a lot of things that were probably quite fun.
This attitude has worked for me well in the past: "After this, none of these people will ever see me again. They can remember me fondly, remember me callously, or simply not remember me." Choosing the first has netted me some enormously good times and in a few cases, lifetime friends. Shyness is tough to overcome, especially at first, but it does get easier with practice. All you have to do is smile and say hello.

well, lets deal with what would be my biggest problem, what is your vaccination status?
because i dont know what Germanies rules are now, or 6 months from now

but if you are a pureblood, and intend to stay that way, that may shut the conversation down right there

if you are fully vaxed, or if Germany no longer requires you to be, i would say go for it, and for several reasons

i have spend some great times in Germany
(of course, i grew up no 45 minutes from the border so it was a hop and a skip away and once you hit the autobahn you are flying)

as others have mentioned, travel in Europe is comparable to interstate travel in the US, most borders between the countries look like state borders, and are just as easy to cross

i personally love the food there, and even though i dont drink anymore German beer is second only to Belgian beer

the country is so much older then the US, it is not uncommon to see entire city blocks which are centuries old, or churches of other building that are several centuries old

there is a history in Europe that is simply deeper than any you will find here in the US

finally, how long have you been married for?
if this makes your bride happy, and you have no valid reason not to go...that should settle it right there

oh, and dont worry about the language barrier, yes, most Europeans speak English and are very welcoming to tourists (just stay away from France, they are a bunch of jerks)

Hell yes you should go. It's a neat place. My wife was German, we went to visit her relatives one time and it was a blast. If you like beer there is none better on the planet. If you can find a restaurant that has spiessbraten do not pass up the opportunity.

You won't be sorry if you go. If nothing else, remember - happy wife, happy life!

Coming up on 30 years married, together for 5 before that.

And thanks for the note about France, not the first time I've heard something like that.

-
Back