Anyone build their own headers

-
I have built a few set's. I have come to the conclusion that if someone makes them already, just buy them, I built my last set for my r5p7 motor in my dart, what a nightmare, but no one makes them so I had no choice

Looks like the came out nice. What's your tube size?

I started to about a month ago and gave up. Buying pre bent mandrel bends was too expensive .

I don't want to go through the fenders so i have my work cut out for me..... I already have $700 worth of bends and collectors so there's no going back now, my car also had the motor set pretty low and as far back as possible so i don't think an off the shelf header would work.

I don't want to go through the fenders so i have my work cut out for me..... I already have $700 worth of bends and collectors so there's no going back now, my car also had the motor set pretty low and as far back as possible so i don't think an off the shelf header would work.
good luck, purge the tubes, I used stainless so purging was a must but I also do it on mild steel just for a nicer finished product. I had $1500 into materials in the headers pictured above.

good luck, purge the tubes, I used stainless so purging was a must but I also do it on mild steel just for a nicer finished product. I had $1500 into materials in the headers pictured above.

Yeah, my collectors are the cheap ones, not the slip fits, I'm also using steel not stainless. I've built headers before just not tight like this lol.

I have a se we did for my 73 but never used them they forsale cheap ..1 is complete as far as welding and the other needs to be finished welded ...chassis shope build a new set that comes out the side instead of under the car..

My brother Denny (HemiDenny) built these headers from U-bends for his first Hemi Duster.
It was a torsion bar car and the torsion bars passed right through the headers without touching
anywhere. This project was enough to get him to develop his HDK K-frames where if you were
to unbolt the headers on his Hemi now, they would just fall to the ground.

In discussing this with Chrysler's Tom Hoover last summer, Mr. Hoover's dictum was:

"Everyone should have to build a set of headers once; just not twice."

eng472hdrs.jpg

these are about the 5th set I built and i helped earthmover with the set he tossed. I have about $3000 in them. they are for my supercharged 512", custom flanges build to the head ports. 2 3/8" for 6", 2 1/2" for 6", 2 5/8" to the custom made collector which is 5" and 18" long.

Attachments

• older Pictures 258.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 224
  • older Pictures 253.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 214
I have about 1/2" to the firewall, not sure how muche it's lowered from stock but it's probably a few inches.

I have built a few sets and cut my own flanges ( even in the days processing plasma cutters)and used pre- cut flanges. If Hell's Gate Hot Rods @
Flanges - Hells Gate Hot Rods
Has what fits your engine you'd be hard pressed to make your own as nice, and for the price. Even if they need a bit of fine fitting to be perfect they make a great start.

-
Back