Anyone carry a "temporary use spare" in their car?

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
Headed out to the pick and pull today.
Looking to pick up a temp use spare tire to use in the dart.

Any idea what kind of cars I should be looking for to find one
that will fit in my spare tire well, and is 5x4.5 bolt pattern?

Fords have the 5X4.5 bolt circle. Bring calipers to measure the hub circle. Think about the offset as well.

Just a thought...

I have 5x4 bolt pattern so finding a temp spare tire would be non existent. I found that a 67 barracuda 14 x 4.5 rim with a Firestone Firestone F560 | Firestone F560 Tires 155R14 tire fits in the wheel well tub (67 dart) flush with the top. press board panel sits flush and the trunk liner is flat. I did have to buy a shorter carriage bolt (but you could cut yours down.)

20180325_104455.jpg

upload_2018-3-25_10-51-41.png

I went 15" rims because of jeep rear brakes no way a full size spare would fit in the trunk actually found a temp from a jeep fits perfect.

I use a 17" spare from a '07/08 Infiniti G35. Fits in the well, clears my 13" rotors in the front too. I think it has a 145/80/17 on it (~26" tall). That's gonna be the tallest tire that will fit in the well, so if your tires are much taller than 26" you're out of luck with a sure grip. All I did was a little dremel work on the hub bore, it was a couple mm's too small. Nothing major though, especially for a spare.

It doesn't sit perfectly even with the trunk floor, the center of the rim sticks up just a little because of the curvature on the spokes. They do have a steel rim spare for the G35's as well that's a smaller rim diameter. I needed the 17" aluminum version because of my 13" rotors. You'd have to pay attention to the hub bore though.

img_1824_zpsawvplxuf-jpg.jpg

img_1822_zpsojer7eso-jpg.jpg

I have a couple donuts from xj jeep cherokees. When I took my duster on power tour I carried 2 of them with me.

Headed out to the pick and pull today.
Looking to pick up a temp use spare tire to use in the dart.

Any idea what kind of cars I should be looking for to find one
that will fit in my spare tire well, and is 5x4.5 bolt pattern?

One of the guys I know in Phoenix has one of those inflatable spares and the compressed air bottle for it mounted in the trunk of his Hemi Cuda.
I'm thinking of putting one in the well for my Dart, but I don't remember what it came out of.

His car doesn't have the well like some cars, so it works really well as a space saver.

1971-Plymouth-Cuda-Convertible-1647-18.jpg

One of the guys I know in Phoenix has one of those inflatable spares and the compressed air bottle for it mounted in the trunk of his Hemi Cuda.
I'm thinking of putting one in the well for my Dart, but I don't remember what it came out of.

His car doesn't have the well like some cars, so it works really well as a space saver.

View attachment 1715160578

Nice, but that looks way to professional for me.. ha ha.
just want something that will fit in the well and not stick up above the well.
Didn't get to the yard last weekend, family obligations. Maybe this weekend.

And 72bluNblu, not worries about the exact height, since I don't have a suregrip. My current rear tires about 25", and that looks like what will fit in the well.

I walked down a row of Fords until I found one that was reasonably close to correct diameter.

I just came from pick & pull with a crown vic spare; 145/80-16 size that has 4.5” or 114.3 mm that is 25.4” tall that fits in my wagons well perfectly.
I’m running 205/70r15 tires on cop style wheels. The spare is .8 of an inch shorter.

This is out of a 80's Dodge Diplomat (Grand Fury RWD Chrysler New Yorker). Fits Mopar disc brakes and fits flush in a A body tire well.
Had one in my 63 and 68 Valiant's. Neither had limited slip,never had to use one.Good for piece of mind.

IMG_1172.JPG

IMG_1173.JPG

IMG_1174.JPG

This is out of a 80's Dodge Diplomat (Grand Fury RWD Chrysler New Yorker). Fits Mopar disc brakes and fits flush in a A body tire well.
Had one in my 63 and 68 Valiant's. Neither had limited slip,never had to use one.Good for piece of mind.

View attachment 1715162250

View attachment 1715162251

View attachment 1715162252

That is a really short little tire!!!

Is that a 125/70/15? That's not even 22" tall. At my current ride height swapping one of those on would put my header flange on that side about 2" off the ground. If I hit a pot hole with one of those on I'd be high centered!

No hot rod just a everyday car at factory height.

Thanks for the ideas of what to look for. Still trying to get my butt out to the pic and pull, life just keeps getting in the way.

spare tire.jpg
01-07 Caravan should have a 145/90-16 temp spare for 26.3 diameter. Measured one from a friends van today. And a photo of a T145/90-16 in the spare tire well of a 64 Barracuda.

Last edited:
So if I have a sure grip with 28s in the rear and 26.5s in the front and the spare will only accomodate a 26.5 ( I think) Im SOL if I get a rear flat.....sonofa.........hmmmmm... what type of solutions are there???!!! Maybe a trick air can tucked away in the quarter and a plug kit in the glove .

So if I have a sure grip with 28s in the rear and 26.5s in the front and the spare will only accomodate a 26.5 ( I think) Im SOL if I get a rear flat.....sonofa.........hmmmmm... what type of solutions are there???!!! Maybe a trick air can tucked away in the quarter and a plug kit in the glove .

Insurance plan with roadside assistance. Lots of them offer it, some are better than others. Pay attention to tow distances vs extra charges if you get a cheaper plan, if you drive long distances that can come up.

The biggest you’ll get in the well is a 26”, the one I posted above touches the walls of the well all the way around and squeaks into place. No way you’ll get a 26.5”. Not that it matters that much for a temporary spare on the front, but you’re SOL on a 28” rear spare.

No kidding, I have 2 of the jeep xj donuts in the well of my duster. I think they stick up higher than the floor. I don't have the tire cover or mat anyway. If you did I think you could just make a spacer out of rigid foam to make the floor level with the tire.
I measured this donuts yesterday they are 125/90/16 about 24 1/2. My tires are about 25 1/2. Not ideal but I think it could get me out of a jam. And yes I do carry AAA.

Dont need a spare i got hagerty plus lol. Also wouldnt do me any good, my front tires are 26” dia and my rear tires are 28” dia lol.

Also wouldnt do me any good, my front tires are 26” dia and my rear tires are 28” dia lol.
let's assume you got a rear flat and you have a locking dif. you could, one at a time, move the fronts to the rear and put the spare on the front with one of the rears. it would sit funny and drive crappy but it would get you home or to a tire store

Yeah lol or i could just use my hagerty plus and take advantage of the free flatbed towing. Who carries a jack in their car? Even if i did im not going to scratch my bumpers by using it.

I understand and largely agree, but my experience on I-70 in the middle of the Utah desert is there is no cell signal for like 50 miles in places

-
Back