Anyone Deal in ATI Super Dampers or Advice on Were to Buy One

-

PROSTOCKTOM

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am looking at buy an ATI 917474E 3-ring aluminum damper for a BBM.

Trying to decide the best place to buy one from. Prefer to get it from some place that doesn't charge sales tax. (We all like to save if we can)

Doesn't look like a lot of options on this one, but thought someone might know of a hidden retailer that offers some relief.

Thanks,
Tom

You are correct, not many options out there. Unfortunately, unless you buy from and individual you are going to pay sales tax. The days of buying from out of your home state with no sales taxes being charged is long gone.

The ATI dampers are definitely good. Lightweight and do a great good controlling torsional vibration. Finding one cheap may be a challenge. Used one's can be rebuilt by replacing the internal O-rings. 65'

You are correct, not many options out there. Unfortunately, unless you buy from and individual you are going to pay sales tax. The days of buying from out of your home state with no sales taxes being charged is long gone.

There are still many states that don't charge sales tax when I order parts. California, Nevada, South Dakota, Tennessee just to name a few don't charge for orders shipped to Indiana.

However you are correct in that all the good ole loopholes are drying up.

Tom

Innovators West makes a real nice dampener. They are available at Alkydigger in Tennessee. They don’t charge tax.

Innovators West makes a real nice dampener. They are available at Alkydigger in Tennessee. They don’t charge tax.

Thanks, but I am not interested in an Innovators West damper. I specifically know what I want in the ATI.

I actually do business with Alkydigger. Great people.

Tom

Check FB for Moore & Moore racing, he's a swap meeter guy that may have a new 1

I was just looking at those. All I have found are still elastomer dampers. At least that's what all the descriptions say. Is that correct? I was thinking of getting the smallest one for the internally balanced big block to use on my next slant 6 build, but they are all listed as elastomer. I was hoping to get away from that.

Elastomer dampers are not all bad. ATI Super Dampers are elastomer dampers that utilize friction type damping (high damping coefficient). Regardless of what type damper you use, the best one to use is a properly tuned damper for your system. 65'

Elastomer dampers are not all bad. ATI Super Dampers are elastomer dampers that utilize friction type damping (high damping coefficient). Regardless of what type damper you use, the best one to use is a properly tuned damper for your system. 65'
Well, that I know, but who sells tunable balancers? Nobody I know of, that's why you take your balancer in with the rest to get the system balanced matched with the balancer, correct?

Check FB for Moore & Moore racing, he's a swap meeter guy that may have a new 1

There are several Moore & Moore Racing on Facebook. Which one is he?

I was going to recommend him too. He sells some with cosmetic blems at a discount price.

Not looking for a Blem. Looks like as much as I hate to do it Summit Racing might win out on this purchase.

Tom

No, a damper is tuned to the resonant frequency of the rotating assembly. Balance of the rotating assembly is a separate subject but should include the damper, unless it's a fluid damper. 65'

No, a damper is tuned to the resonant frequency of the rotating assembly. Balance of the rotating assembly is a separate subject but should include the damper, unless it's a fluid damper. 65'

I very familiar how it all works. All I wanted out of the thread is if anyone knew a place to buy a damper that I might not have to pay sales tax on.

Thanks,
Tom

There are several Moore & Moore Racing on Facebook. Which one is he?

Not looking for a Blem. Looks like as much as I hate to do it Summit Racing might win out on this purchase.

Tom

Someone had 10% off coupons I think recently (summit) in the race section. Jack Moore
Moore and Moore Racing.

Never mind he’s out.

62FC5F43-53F5-40C2-B658-19754EB63B1E.png

You can sign up at Barnett Racing in Atlanta and get a racer's discount.

Man we were spoiled years ago at Summit. No tax, and the Pro Shop discount used to be a lot better, plus back then you could still use a 10% of coupon.

Got the ATI damper ordered from Summit Racing a few minutes ago.

Thanks to Jared (MidnightSwinger) for a discount code. It made the purchase an absolutely great deal.

Thanks,
Tom

What crank pulley is run with that balancer to align with basic fan and alternator arrangement?
I am debating whether to go that size or go the smaller and run the OEM depth crank pulley.

I buy directly from ATI. Look at when they have "scratch/2nd's" sales. Killer deals, and I haven't found a defect in any that I've purchased.

What crank pulley is run with that balancer to align with basic fan and alternator arrangement?
I am debating whether to go that size or go the smaller and run the OEM depth crank pulley.

I bought the 3-ring unit because that's what ATI recommended for the rowdy 499" its going on.

The 3-ring is .370" longer than the 2-ring that everything stock is supposedly suppose to align like factory with.

Obviously the 3-ring provides more torsional damping than a 2-ring can provide, so depending on your intended use, stroke, and rpm range you'll need to decide.

That said even a 2-ring ATI is going to do a much better job damping than an OEM stock unit ever did when new.

If you use a 3-ring you just need to make .370" thick spacers for the alternator, water pump, and/ or whatever else you're using a pulley on.

Tom

Thank you for the reply.
I am putting together a 451 with 440 source rotating assembly. So the Two ring would probably be fine.
But since I plan on using a Denso alternator I would have to modify that anyway. That leaves a water pump spacer.
So maybe my engine will be happier with the 3 ring also

Glad you got setup Tom. Not to hijack your thread but can anyone tell me what the deal is with ATI dampers and Sm Blocks? I hear you have to grind the timing marks off of the timing cover to make them work.

TIA,
Bill

-
Back